General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for some input on scheduling my final 6 weeks into IMWI Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-01 10:00 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Looking for some input on scheduling my final 6 weeks into IMWI

So below is a list of commitments that I have for next August, all that require between 3-7 hours of driving to and from total for each. I am looking to start my taper 2 weeks out from IMWI, which would be August 26th, but that will be dependent mainly on how I feel in the weeks going in. Being self-coached I am searcing for some advice on how to best prepare my workouts around these commitments. Anyone who has had similiar experiences please chime in.

For workouts I want to do 2 big test sessions somewhere around 4 and 8 weeks out to gauge my fitness and see where I am at. The workout in August would take two days and include a 125-135 mile ride, followed by a easy IM pace 3-4 mile run, with a 18ish mile run at race pace the following day. Problem being 4 weeks out would fall on the same date as Rev 3, and moving it forward a weekend could conflict with my sisters wedding, unless I did it on Friday and Saturday. Would that be too close to Rev 3 and doing too much right before my taper, or would that fit in great wih my high volume training right before my taper?

August 4th Good friend from college wedding

August 12th Rev 3 Wisconsin Dells

August 17-18th Final big test workouts 135 mile ride/T-Run IM pace 3-4 mile, Day 2 18ish mile run IM pace.

August 19th Sister's Wedding (Standing up)

August 25 g/f is maid of honor in wedding so I have no choice

August 26 Taper should start around this date

Sept 9th IMWI

Also if anyone has an experience with doing overdistance bike rides and following them up with brick runs, and a big run the following day would you care to share your experiences with me, or have any comments to how I am approaching mine.

2011-12-02 4:23 AM
in reply to: #3922885

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Looking for some input on scheduling my final 6 weeks into IMWI

Wow.  You've got it jammed in tight!

I'm a big fan of long bricks for first timers to check pacing and nutrition, but I've never done it with an over distance ride.  I have found that the ride needs to be more than 90 miles and the run 6-9 miles. Also, I don't see any advantage to doing an 18 mile run immediately after a long brick. 

So, here is what I would suggest:

18 miler Aug 4th

100/6 brick Aug 17th.  Remember to run/ride at IM pace.

Swim on Aug 18th to loosen everything up.

50-75 mile ride Aug 25th

btw, I would ditch the Rev3 Dells, but I see it's right in your backyard.  If you don't really want to do this race I would skip it, train regular, and get some rest. 

2011-12-02 1:35 PM

Veteran
Wow a 135 mi brick  3 weeks from and ironman the week after a 70.3 at the dells.  I don't know that you'll be recovered from that by racetime.  I would suggest having all your major training done before the 70.3 with no taper and then go into maintnence mode ( long bikes of 50-70 mi, long runs of 12 - 15 mi)  then start the taper 3 weeks out from the race.  Good Luck
2011-12-02 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3923821

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
mlanahan - 2011-12-02 1:35 PM

Wow a 135 mi brick  3 weeks from and ironman the week after a 70.3 at the dells.  I don't know that you'll be recovered from that by racetime.  I would suggest having all your major training done before the 70.3 with no taper and then go into maintnence mode ( long bikes of 50-70 mi, long runs of 12 - 15 mi)  then start the taper 3 weeks out from the race.  Good Luck

Was thinking the same thing.

In "Going Long" the suggestion is to do the "Big Days" 8 week and 4 weeks out from your IM.

I can't recall all the details (have it written down), but basically you do a 1:30 swim, rest for 1:30. Then bike for 4 hours (5?), rest for 1:30. Then run for 2 hours.

Riding 135 miles seems... odd. And then to run 18 miles the next day.

There have been studies that show this kind of training doesn't really help a whole lot. It would be better to split the big workouts up.

2011-12-04 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3922965

User image

Veteran
Mukwonago, WI
brown_dog_us - 2011-12-02 4:23 AM

Wow.  You've got it jammed in tight!

I'm a big fan of long bricks for first timers to check pacing and nutrition, but I've never done it with an over distance ride.  I have found that the ride needs to be more than 90 miles and the run 6-9 miles. Also, I don't see any advantage to doing an 18 mile run immediately after a long brick. 

So, here is what I would suggest:

18 miler Aug 4th

100/6 brick Aug 17th.  Remember to run/ride at IM pace.

Swim on Aug 18th to loosen everything up.

50-75 mile ride Aug 25th

btw, I would ditch the Rev3 Dells, but I see it's right in your backyard.  If you don't really want to do this race I would skip it, train regular, and get some rest. 

I completely agree!  This looks a lot like my August plan.   I would ditch Rev 3 for this year and maybe do the Racine HIM or Door Co (depending on where you live

Racine / DoorC are in mid July.  They'll give you a good idea on your race fitness and let you perfect your nutrition plan (for 2x the distance).  

Others might disagree with me, but I don't really see the benefit of a 120-130 mile ride in August.  I'd (at some point) ride the entire course (stick & loops), then maybe transition and do a 3-4 mile run.

2011-12-04 1:15 PM

Master
Northern IL
What is your approach to Rev3 Wisc? This could be done using closer to IM paces, as opposed to racing it. I saw Racine suggested as an alternative, but given the relative ease of that course (and difficulty of IM Wisc), I'd skip it and do a training day instead. Unless you could use really the race-day practice.

2011-12-04 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3925545

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

brigby1 - 2011-12-04 1:15 PM What is your approach to Rev3 Wisc? This could be done using closer to IM paces, as opposed to racing it. I saw Racine suggested as an alternative, but given the relative ease of that course (and difficulty of IM Wisc), I'd skip it and do a training day instead. Unless you could use really the race-day practice.

Yup Racine is most likely out the window for me. Raced the past couple of years and doesn't offer much that I want. I am planning on DC in July, but dependent on the weekends of the races I may do Chisago. The more and more I think about it Rev 3 might not work out, or instead I will use that as a final tuneup and move my higher volume weeks to before Rev 3. It was not until after I signed up for IMWI that these commitments became true, so I am having a harder time letting go of ideas that I started to come up with this summer. 

As for the reason for the long rides, well 135 might be pushing it but I ilke the idea of 125 miles. First the body learns to become more and more efficient the further you go, and secondly by riding 15-20 miles further I am simulating another hour of work that will be done in the race at around the same HR. However, by riding and not running that hour, my body is not being taxed nearly as hard, and running off the bike 3-4 miles will better simulate how I feel from miles 10-14ish with that added hour on the bike. 

With all this said I may just ditch the long runs the day after, and follow suit with the rest of my training plan and do all of my long runs in the middle of the week on fresher legs with more recovery built in.

Again this is all rough draft material for me, but I did do over-distance riding for 2 HIM this year, and I felt a world better coming into T2 then I have ever before. With IMWI next year I am not training to finish, but put myself into a more competitive finish time (hopefully) and so the direction and focus of my training I believe should reflect that. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for some input on scheduling my final 6 weeks into IMWI Rss Feed