General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Help with workout schedule.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-04 5:04 PM

Subject: Help with workout schedule....
Thought I would step out of the shadows and say "hi". My name is Chris and I live The Woodlands, Texas. I'm 32 and have reintroduced my body to physical activity after a 12 year hiatus. I have been doing a little running and cycling over the last few months and have seen some weight loss and other positive results. But I have just added swimming to my regimen last week and could really use some help in setting up my schedule. I did take a look at the programs listed here....but feel I need something a little different.

So if y'all could help that would be great.

So here are a few known variables:

--My stats are as follows: 6' 1" @ 225lbs. (I hope to drop at least 25 lbs by Oct 1st)

--My first Tri is Dave Scott's Texas Man Tri on October 10th. It involves a 500M swim (open water)/18.5 mile bike/5K run.

--Time in NOT an issue. I own my own company and work from home so I can make my own schedule. I will dedicate however many hours or days it takes.

--I have hired a swim coach and will be training with her on Sundays and Wednesdays in the A.M. But I will still need at least 2 other training sessions a week as it is my weakest sport.

--I would like to keep my runs to 2-3 sessions per week at this point. I am prone to shin splints and until I lose a few more pounds I'm not sure my legs can take more than that. I have been HR training the last 6 weeks and can go for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 60%-75% MHR. Half of these sessions are spent at a fast walk pace.

--Biking is my strength at this point. I have been doing 5-10 miles per session 3-4 times per week.

I would really appreciate any help you y'all could provide.

Chris

2004-06-04 5:23 PM
in reply to: #29237

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-06-04 10:59 PM

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Help with workout schedule....

Welcome!  I suggest making one of your bike sessions and one of the run sessions LONG ( and slow).  Your race with a 18.5 mile bike leg means you need to get in one day a week of more miles than you have currently. 

You are lucky that you have time!  My basic plan per week is 1 long bike, 1 bike with intervals, 1 long run, 1 run with intervals, and 2 swims.  That's what I have time for, and it works for me.  The long sessions build endurance, and the intervals build speed. 

Do you really need to swim 4 times a week?  Would 3 sessions be ok?  I'm just thinking - don't overdo it (and then get wiped out)

Good luck Chris!

2004-06-05 12:11 PM

Champion
Gold member
welcome to the site tex and YAY on the positive results thus far.  you have plenty of time it seems to get up to par...some good advice already.  hope to hear more from you.
2004-06-07 1:35 AM

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Hi Chris
I am a newbie too, so totally defer to the experts here. However, as a "young" 42 year old, I do have to watch the stress on my joints, so I try to get some of my runs on the treadbill (boring, but has the advantage of tracking miles pretty well) and/or the track. The track is actually my favorite as I can put on the radio and enjoy the endorphin high when I hit it without fear of tripping over a curb or falling off the treadmill!
I know that you need to do some more "real life" situations and I do try to make every 3rd or 4th run a "street run" complete with gravel, hills and curbs, but varying my running surface has helped decrease my joint pain quite a bit.

Hope this helps and best of luck

K
2004-06-07 9:14 PM

Central Louisiana

Welcome Tex and great to have you here!  Keep up the great work!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Help with workout schedule.... Rss Feed