General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spin cycle vs life fitness stationary cycle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-14 12:56 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Spin cycle vs life fitness stationary cycle
Hi everyone,I am currently deployed right now and unfortunately do not have a bike. The compound is really small so all my training will be indoors :/. What are the benefits between these two types of exercise equipment? I see that on you are able to get into many more positions than the single position on the life fitness cycle. I am waiting for the new 910xt to arrive, so my only measurement right now would be time for the spin cycle. On the life fitness cycle, I can monitor heart rate, rpms and watts. MPH and Distance seems way off, so I just use that for reference. Which do you guys prefer when training indoors without your bicycle.Thank you,Andrew

2011-12-14 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3938403

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Spin cycle vs life fitness stationary cycle

I'm assuming by spin cycle you mean one of those spin bikes where you adjust the resistance by turning a knob, right?

Personally, I find working out on those MUCH more effective than working out on gym bikes. I find that the bikes really emphasize comfort more than suffering. That's not the point of working out.

Also, you're right that the MPH and distance will be way off. I had a friend who particpated in a tri who was under the impression that he'd be fine on the bike because he biked inside and he "did 12 miles in about 30 minutes or so every time" (his quote).

When we went and rode bikes outside for the first time, he did 10 miles in 1 hour and then threw up. Big difference.

2011-12-14 10:32 PM

Master
Northern IL
Do you know the models of the spin bike and Life Fitness bike? Just to make sure we're looking at the same thing. I *think* one gym uses a recumbent Life Fitness bike, but would have to check. I've used a few spin bikes at several different gyms and they are definitely not the same.
2011-12-15 6:26 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Generally speaking, I think you would be better off on the spin bike. IME, you can get your position on that bike to more closely match your position on a "real" bike - not perfect, maybe, but pretty close - and certainly closer than on the Life Cycle type bikes, which tend to be much more upright - more like riding a beach cruiser than a road or tri bike... And you can pretty much ignore what the computer on the Life Cycle. It bears very little resemblance to reality. For example, speed and distance computations are based solely on your RPM - so you could spin at 120 RPM with no resistance, and it would show you going very fast and very far, but that would do very little to improve your bike fitness. Use the spin bike and do some hard interval training. Using RPE will be fine. You can add heart rate when you get your garmin if you want to.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spin cycle vs life fitness stationary cycle Rss Feed