General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-02-22 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3950313

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread
Is anyone aware of any company that will be transporting bikes for this year's race? I believe tribiketransport.com did it last year, but Cozumel is not listed on their website for this year.

2012-02-25 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4060463

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

Hey everyone, I just registered a few days ago.  Cozumel will be my first IM and even though it seems a long time from now, I'm excited!  My original goal for this year was to go for a BQ, but I don't think I'll make it so I scrapped my plans for a second marathon.  I'm glad because all this running is crazy!  I miss my bike, and as crazy as it sounds....I miss the pool!  So looking forward to it!

cwsiii - On the home page under Athlete Info there is a tab for TriBike Transport.

2012-02-29 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Welcome Tim... it may seem a long way off but the time will go quick... have fun with it, glad to have you aboard
2012-02-29 7:40 PM

User image

My wife and I took the plunge and registered! First IM!!!! Smile Really excited and nervous.....overall fear helps me to train on the days I don't feel like it!

Looking forward to seeing you all at the finish line!!!!!

2012-03-01 5:48 PM
in reply to: #4073956

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
rjguy - 2012-02-29 7:40 PM

My wife and I took the plunge and registered! First IM!!!! Smile Really excited and nervous.....overall fear helps me to train on the days I don't feel like it!

Looking forward to seeing you all at the finish line!!!!!

Ha, love it!  Haven't officially started training for it yet, but I'm sure the bolded text will have an impact on my training as well!  Congrats on signing up, I felt like that was an achievement all on its own!

2012-03-01 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4073929

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

natebs - 2012-02-29 7:21 PM Welcome Tim... it may seem a long way off but the time will go quick... have fun with it, glad to have you aboard

Thanks Nate, definitely looking forward to the fun!

2012-03-05 5:27 PM

User image

Boise, ID
IM Cozumel will be my 3rd full distance IM and 1st non-wet suit IM event. Staying at Cozumel Palace and getting in on the 20th, leaving on the 30th. Shooting for a sub-11:00 but realistically I will be happy with 11:15 or under. Running a 50 mile ultra on October 2nd and the R2R2R (double crossing of the Grand Canyon 48miles) in late October, so hopefully I will be recovered in time.

Anyone have an idea who will be transporting bikes from the States? Tribiketransport hasn't listed Cozumel as a serviced event yet. Emailed them, but they were vague.

Staying until Friday after the event so I have 5 days to enjoy the island, any suggestions?

Anyone else staying at Cozumel Palace? Also, will be near Richmond, VA from July-end of October if anyone lives nearby and wants to get together for a run/ride.

Using Hal Higdeon's Marathon 3 training program right now (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51151/Marathon-Marathon-3-Training-Program) which I like because I can ride and swim one day a week. Finish the program in July, then its full on IM Training.

Can't wait!
2012-03-14 3:39 PM

User image

Master
, Minnesota

Per my email inquiry to tribike transport:

"It is likely that we will be providing transport to Cozumel this year. Please keep an eye on our website and Facebook page for updates. You will be able to make a reservation once a decision has been made and final logistics published to our website. Please feel free to contact us with additional questions or concerns."

Thank you,

Emily Wooton

Customer Service Manager

TriBike Transport

cwsiii - 2012-02-22 10:42 AM Is anyone aware of any company that will be transporting bikes for this year's race? I believe tribiketransport.com did it last year, but Cozumel is not listed on their website for this year.

2012-03-16 6:30 AM

New user

hi everyone, newbie question coming up:

how do you prepare for punctures? do you carry spare tubes/tyres and a pump? i've had a look on the official Cozumel site but I can't see anything about them offering any kind of help during the race if you break down - so i guess it's up to the individual.

2012-03-18 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4098767

User image

how do you prepare for punctures? do you carry spare tubes/tyres and a pump? i've had a look on the official Cozumel site but I can't see anything about them offering any kind of help during the race if you break down - so i guess it's up to the individual.

I carry 2 spare tubes and 2 CO2 cartridgess along with a small hand pump as a back up to the CO2s.  There is race support but you may have to wait a while for someone to help you out.  You cannot take the cartridges on board a commercial passenger airline so you may be able to purchase these at the beginning of the expo but they will probably sell out so get there early.  You may also check into mailing these to your hotel ahead of time but check out the regualations on shipping these.  As long as I have my hand pump I know I will at least be able to get back on the road.    I hope this helps and good luck!

2012-03-18 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4101423

New user

Thanks that's very helpful. Do you carry a spare tyre as well?

2012-03-20 7:28 PM
in reply to: #4101569

User image

Veteran

no, on carring a spare tire.

I carry one tube and 2 cartridges. Also practice changing your tires before race day. When you have spare time, deflate your tire take it apart and put it back together. If your not sure how to do this, go down to the LBS and ask them to show you and then get them to watch you do it. Most LBS in my city are great for helping out with things like this. It very important to not do anything new on race day, including tring to change something you havent done before.

cheers

practice, practice, practice

2012-04-15 8:08 PM

COZUMEL IRONMAN COMPETITORS: PLEASE READ

My soon to be father in law was an avid cyclist. It is because of this that I am choosing to post on here today.

Val Robichaux loved cycling. As a retired pathologist residing in Colorado, he lived every cyclist's dream on a daily basis. Val would routinely ride his Trek Madone through the beautiful countryside that surrounded his home in Southwest Colorado. Even more than cycling, Val loved his son, Rex. Although they lived 2,000 miles apart, when they were together, biking was a special bonding experience for Val and Rex. It was because of this shared love of cycling that when planning a family vacation to Cozumel, Mexico, the two decided to rent bikes for the week and enjoy time together cycling on the beautiful island.

Unfortunately, this idea turned into a nightmare when Val was hit and killed by a taxi that ran a stop sign going more than double the speed limit on the island of Cozumel. Although this event is disturbing, even more so is the local police and district attorney's response to the situation. Many documents were falsified stating that Val Robichaux was at fault and the taxi driver had no responsibility in the crash.

Please read this article on CNN (http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-775806) for a full account of the corruption involved in this case. My only wish is that we can spread the word of what happened and shed light on the corruption surrounding this and other cases.

As a side note, an Ironman competition is being held on the island this year. The taxi drivers in Cozumel are irresponsible, don't follow traffic laws, and apparently control so much financially and politically, that justice cannot be served against them. PLEASE HELP ME PROTECT OTHERS ON THE ISLAND TRAINING FOR THE IRONMAN OR JUST CYCLING FOR LEISURE PURPOSES.

PLEASE HELP ME SPARE ANOTHER LIFE AND MAKE SURE JUSTICE IS SERVED IN THE NAME OF MY FATHER IN LAW.

Please share this article with everyone you know so we can make a difference.

2012-04-17 11:24 AM

New user

Does anyone know of somewhere in Cancun that I can leave some luggage? (it will include my bike so somewhere secure).

I plan to fly to Mexico city after the race and then i'm heading back to UK via Cancun. I'd like to leave some excess luggage, including my bike in Cancun while i'm in Mexico city so hence I was wondering if anyone could suggest a temporary storage facility?

2012-04-20 6:40 AM
in reply to: #4081664

User image

Hey nicellis, my wife and I are both racing and staying at the Cozumel Palace. We arrive on the 21 and stay till the Dec 1, time to rest and enjoy the island.

First IM so nervous and all but want to get a few short rides and runs in before the race,

See you there!

2012-04-21 10:47 PM

New user

Mclean, VA
mandinorris, that is terrible to hear, I am truly sorry for your loss, and I wish you all the best in finding justice for your loved one

2012-04-21 11:07 PM

New user

Mclean, VA
regarding wheels, what do you guys usually run in cozumel? I only weigh 125 lbs, should I get non-aero wheels because of the crosswinds?
2012-04-24 7:13 PM

User image

Elite
SE
seriously considering joining y'all
2012-04-27 1:21 AM

User image

Veteran

coming Phatnot....you know you wwwaaannnnnt to 

Hiyerl, this is my first time going to Cozumal, I hope to borrow a set of 404 for the bike, I have a set of 808 so I may just use the 404 on the front and the 808 on the back. I just scaned though some of the pictures from last year, looks like 404 were quit common, looks like the pros had 808.

Only about 1/3 of each loop you`ll be in a strong cross wind so I would take advantage of the 404 areo for the other 2/3.

My 2 cents, hopefully someone who has done this race before can give us more insite.

2012-05-10 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

cwsiii - 2012-02-22 10:42 AM Is anyone aware of any company that will be transporting bikes for this year's race? I believe tribiketransport.com did it last year, but Cozumel is not listed on their website for this year.

personally i would bring my own bike.  Bringing stuff down overland is just not the hottest ideas unless you have high contacts throughout all levels of the "government" (and understanding that some states are narcostates).  I know they ran into trouble last year (jailed and probably paid huge mordidas) and that says to me that 1) they had no-one in their pocket and 2) they got someone in their pocket (as they got out of jail quickly (which is incredible down here)).

So long story short, bring your bike with you.  (i live down here)

2012-05-10 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4098767

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
mindiswilling - 2012-03-16 6:30 AM

hi everyone, newbie question coming up:

there were LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of cartriges last year available on the island.  No problem getting them down here.

2012-05-10 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4155763

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
mindiswilling - 2012-04-17 11:24 AM

Does anyone know of somewhere in Cancun that I can leave some luggage? (it will include my bike so somewhere secure).

I plan to fly to Mexico city after the race and then i'm heading back to UK via Cancun. I'd like to leave some excess luggage, including my bike in Cancun while i'm in Mexico city so hence I was wondering if anyone could suggest a temporary storage facility?

i personally would not do that.  you are welcome to leave your stuff with us.  we live about 85 km south of Cancun.  I can also give you personal contacts (honest folk) in Cancun who might be interested in holding your stuff for you.

2012-05-10 12:59 PM

We (2 triathletes) have rented a 3 bedroom condo for Cozumel IM in November. We have a bedroom available- with its own bathroom. Will fit 1 or 2 people. Located right downtown by start/finish. Has a pool! It is rented from the 21st through 28th. Possibility to rent 4th bedroom as well if 2 are needed. Email [email protected] if you are interested. Thanks!
2012-05-15 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4202581

New user

Thankyou very much for your kind offer. Could you please PM me the details of your contacts in Cancun - it would be really helpful if I could leave my bike with them for a week!

2012-05-15 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thinking about joining you guys.  How does this race stack up difficulty wise compared to other IMs?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 16