General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Old guy starting out Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-29 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Subject: New Old guy starting out

HI all

Just thought I would introduce myself, I am a 57 year old just starting out in trisports, I completed the parry sound  sprint duathalon last fall and came up with an AG win, not as good as it sounds as I was the AG, but I was happy with the race at 2:02:27, as I wasn't really prepared for the challenging course, no big hills around me to train on, LOL. Anyway I enjoyed it so much I thought I would give Triathlon a shot, so I invested in a new bike for this year and am doing a spin class now and am starting a swim class in january, the swim will be my weakest & worst link for sure,

History:

Didn't run or exercise a lick till I was 52, started running have done a marathon a couple of half's and a trail ultra, I am very injury prone and lost over a year and a half of training in the last 3 years, a year to a broken right leg spent 6 months in a hard cast & then 3 months in a boot right leg, started running again & 3 months in on a nice trail run ruptured my left PF tendon, with caused a lot of issues with collapsing arch and weak left ankle but it's gettin much stronger now, so I am now a well Balanced Runner with both Left & right side issues, another reason I started biking & rollerblading as crosstraining sports try and maintain some fitness during rehab.

right now I am being fairly conservative and am running 20 to 30 Km a week and biking around 40km on the trainer although I did get in 25 outside on dec 26th a rarity here in Southen ont, for sure, so basicilly I am just taking it slow and easy and trying to build back up strength to reduce future injury potential.

My goal is to get in a couple of sprints this year anyway if possible and my bucket list would be for a 70.3 sometime before my 60th birthday. So that give me 2 & a half years to get there.

anyway that's about it for Me

Edited by RRH_88 2011-12-29 8:37 AM

2011-12-29 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3959384

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: New Old guy starting out

Hi RRH, welcome to BT and triathlon!

Congrats on the win, hey, a win is a win! I've never even done a duathlon. You're in good company though, we've got folks of all ages here who started at all ages.

You might like to join a Mentor Group (link at the top of this forum) ... they are great for support and info.

2011-12-29 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3959384

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: RE: New Old guy starting out
RRH_88 - 2011-12-29 9:27 AM

HI all

Just thought I would introduce myself, I am a 57 year old just starting out in trisports, I completed the parry sound  sprint duathalon last fall and came up with an AG win, not as good as it sounds as I was the AG, but I was happy with the race at 2:02:27, as I wasn't really prepared for the challenging course, no big hills around me to train on, LOL. Anyway I enjoyed it so much I thought I would give Triathlon a shot, so I invested in a new bike for this year and am doing a spin class now and am starting a swim class in january, the swim will be my weakest & worst link for sure,

History:

Didn't run or exercise a lick till I was 52, started running have done a marathon a couple of half's and a trail ultra, I am very injury prone and lost over a year and a half of training in the last 3 years, a year to a broken right leg spent 6 months in a hard cast & then 3 months in a boot right leg, started running again & 3 months in on a nice trail run ruptured my left PF tendon, with caused a lot of issues with collapsing arch and weak left ankle but it's gettin much stronger now, so I am now a well Balanced Runner with both Left & right side issues, another reason I started biking & rollerblading as crosstraining sports try and maintain some fitness during rehab.

right now I am being fairly conservative and am running 20 to 30 Km a week and biking around 40km on the trainer although I did get in 25 outside on dec 26th a rarity here in Southen ont, for sure, so basicilly I am just taking it slow and easy and trying to build back up strength to reduce future injury potential.

My goal is to get in a couple of sprints this year anyway if possible and my bucket list would be for a 70.3 sometime before my 60th birthday. So that give me 2 & a half years to get there.

anyway that's about it for Me

Hey, I once got second in my AG for an open water swim --- and there were two people in my AG -- a win is a win

Welcome to BT!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Old guy starting out Rss Feed