General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » another newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-13 8:30 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: another newbie
Hi, I am new to traithlons too. I had never ran more than 2 miles before May of this year. I have done 2 Body For Life challenges this year that got me in great shape. I am now training for a half marathon coming up in 2 1/2 weeks and will start training for my first tri in January. I already do some cycling as cross training to my running. I am quite excited to do my first running race and my first tri next year. I have played competitive sports most of my life (baseball, beach volleyball, national softball team, racquetball) and I love the competation of tournaments. This is a new sport to me. I basically do a sport until a get good enough to where I would have to dedicate my life to it to get better and start a new one :-)

2003-11-13 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1728

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: another newbie

great site and congrats on your bfl challenges!  i would just like to mention that, if your current mentality is to be the best u can be at a particular sport before dedicating your life to it then going on to find another...THIS WILL NOT WORK ANYMORE.  sorry cam, u r going to get addicted to tri's - the run, swim, bike will always be challenging even without going 'pro'.  most of us already dedicate our life to this great sport - it's a lifestyle.  yeah, we still have jobs and fam BUT u will be surprised on how much u can do with a job and fam with careful planning and early morning workouts.  PLUS it is addicting as hell.  once u get up to some mileage - its an adrenalin rush 4ever.  i bet your feeling the runners high for your 1/2 marathon now right?  u get 'down' when u can't run...am i right? 

anyways, their is a lot of great people in this sport and lots of support during events.  i have a feeling your going to be with this sport for years to come.  WELCOME!

2003-11-13 11:21 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I agree with you Ron about lifestyle. I do love running and cycling(Before BFL I hated running with a passion :-) ) I'm not sure about loving swimming laps though Yes I love the high. I got up at 6am to get 5m run in before dentist appt today! I believe this sport it is easier to stay with because you can just compete against yourself and the clock and just worry about being your best without worrying about getting eliminated in tournaments all the time. Thanks for the welcome and the site.
2003-11-13 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
p.s. by being best without dedicating life, I meant quitting job and doing it full time. For instance, when I played racquetball competitvely, I played/practiced 6-10 hours per week plus training. To get better would be doing it full time. I didn't mean lack of dedication.
2003-11-13 7:19 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
You will love triathlons. Just when you think you have conquered this quest, you will go to a race course that will humble you! Glad to have you aboard and good luck at your half marathon. Don't forget to give us a race report.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-11-14 6:44 AM
in reply to: #1743

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Thanks Michael. I know all about the humble part :-) How good you are is always relative! Just when you get a little too confident, there is always someone or something to bring you back to reality! That's what I love about sports.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » another newbie Rss Feed