General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Angels Race VA : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-01-11 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Subject: Angels Race VA : Official Thread

If anyone wants to meet up and do a training ride, let me know. 

Bikes Unlimited usually get a pretty large group together as the date get closer also. I'll post them as they announce.

2012-01-21 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3984891

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Subject: RE: Angels Race VA : Official Thread
2012-01-29 7:15 AM

I just signed up for this race yesterday.  I would be interested in doing the bike course as we get closer.  I am in Staunton so it would be great to come down on a warmer Saturday and do the course if you are still willing.  It looks like it should be a good event.

2012-02-04 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Central VA

as  posted on www.bikesunlimited.com 

Every Sunday Through April 243:00 PMRiver Road Bicycle Rides - Join fellow cyclists in a 15 mile road ride out River Road and back. Departing from DOWNTOWN YMCA (upper lot behind childcare). Great Angels Race training, or a great ride with others!Downtown Lynchburg YMCA

2012-03-17 7:17 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Just signed up.  Always a fun way to start the season! 
2012-03-18 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Did the bike leg today. Be sure to tape or tie down any loose items. I lost my rear light on the S-turns after the RR tracks. Road is a bit rough from there up to the turn around.

2012-03-23 10:39 AM

Brand new racers (hubby and I) and we signed up for this race last week.  The bike route is very intimidating to both of us and I am nervous I won't be able to do it.  We are new to riding bikes too (we had been training inside, on stationary, until 2 weeks ago).  I have a few questions about the race.   How does the race start?  I know it starts at 8am in the pool, but do the fast swimmers go first or the slow swimmers?  How long does it normally take to get everyone started?  I read a review on here of the race and someone said they were waiting in the transition area something like 90 minutes to start.  I'm just wondering so I know when to tell a friend to bring my kids to the finish line.  Speaking of, how is parking during race day?   I have 3 little kids, 8, 6 and 8 months and a friend will bring them in to see us finish.  Thank you for any insight!  I'd love to come down and try to do the course on a Sunday, but just not sure it's doable for us. 
2012-03-23 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Swimming starts with the fastest seed times. Pool starts can be long. I waited around 90 min at my last one. On the bright side, you can watch the fast guys both start and finish before you get your feet wet.

I highly recommend a ride before you race. I rode it last weekend and I'll be glad to meet you guys for a ride if you want.

There is a parking garage nearby and pleanty of parking downtown. May want to drop off gear while hubby parks car. Be ready for the hills.

IM me if you want to meet up. Hope you have fun. Fun but challenging course.

2012-03-24 6:51 AM
in reply to: #4110088

User image

Expert

dallasandjen - 2012-03-23 11:39 AM Brand new racers (hubby and I) and we signed up for this race last week.  The bike route is very intimidating to both of us and I am nervous I won't be able to do it.  We are new to riding bikes too (we had been training inside, on stationary, until 2 weeks ago).  I have a few questions about the race.   How does the race start?  I know it starts at 8am in the pool, but do the fast swimmers go first or the slow swimmers?  How long does it normally take to get everyone started?  I read a review on here of the race and someone said they were waiting in the transition area something like 90 minutes to start.  I'm just wondering so I know when to tell a friend to bring my kids to the finish line.  Speaking of, how is parking during race day?   I have 3 little kids, 8, 6 and 8 months and a friend will bring them in to see us finish.  Thank you for any insight!  I'd love to come down and try to do the course on a Sunday, but just not sure it's doable for us. 

Pool swims are kind of tedious that way if you're not an above average swimmer (fast ones go first, but you'll know your start time in advance - still have to set up with everyone else though).  The good news is that b/c someone starts every 10 or 15 seconds, there is much more separation on the bike, so you won't feel crowded when you do the course which I think lowers the anxiety levels a bit.  Because Lynchburg is on a hill, after about .5 mile on the bike (take note of one area of bricks in the road btw) you'll go down a fairly steep hill to the main part of the course.  Getting down that (and back up at the end) is the challenging part of the course.  Same with the run - 1 very steep hill to navigate.  So, just take your time in those parts and you'll be golden.  It's a wonderful race, though, with a great vibe and good support from the city.  Lots of beginners and relays, so you won't feel overwhelmed :-)  Parking isn't too bad - along with the parking garage, lots of spaces on the roads around the Y.  Have a great time and hope to see you there!!

Stu

2012-03-24 8:00 AM

Thanks guys.  We are going for a long ride tomorrow, if it's not raining to bad, to see if this will really be possible for us in just a few weeks.  As I said, most our training has been inside, so just not sure if we are ready.  But really my goal is just to finish.  We are both overweight and this has been a pretty lofty goal.  We are REALLY slow for everything lol and part of the reason I was asking about start times was also to know whether the 2.5 hours started after the slowest people (probably us) or the fastest.  If the slow people started first I'd have more time to finish lol. 

Anyway, Another friend here is doing the bike part of a relay and he said he might be interested in coming down on a Sunday so I'll let you know if he/we can do it. 

2012-03-26 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4111070

User image

Expert
dallasandjen - 2012-03-24 9:00 AM

Thanks guys.  We are going for a long ride tomorrow, if it's not raining to bad, to see if this will really be possible for us in just a few weeks.  As I said, most our training has been inside, so just not sure if we are ready.  But really my goal is just to finish.  We are both overweight and this has been a pretty lofty goal.  We are REALLY slow for everything lol and part of the reason I was asking about start times was also to know whether the 2.5 hours started after the slowest people (probably us) or the fastest.  If the slow people started first I'd have more time to finish lol. 

Anyway, Another friend here is doing the bike part of a relay and he said he might be interested in coming down on a Sunday so I'll let you know if he/we can do it. 

I'm pretty sure you'll have the full amount of time to finish (that is, if you start 1 hr after the first person you'd have 1 hour + cutoff time to finish).  You will not be alone in this race as there are a fair number of people who are just giving it a shot for the first time.  Just take your time, walk if you need to, but don't get discouraged :-)  You'll learn a whole bunch about the race and yourself and you'll probably be very motivated for the next one (after you recover!).  Have fun and hope to meet you there!

Stu

2012-04-07 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4113962

Thanks for the motivation Stu.  I just saw you're in Charlottesville.  We are in Ruckersville.  Are you in the Tri Club?  I've been hearing some things about it lately and figured, after the race, if we decide to keep doing Tri races (which I think we will), that we'll look into the club.  See you in Lynchburg in 14 days!

2012-04-12 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4135781

User image

Expert
dallasandjen - 2012-04-07 6:01 PM

Thanks for the motivation Stu.  I just saw you're in Charlottesville.  We are in Ruckersville.  Are you in the Tri Club?  I've been hearing some things about it lately and figured, after the race, if we decide to keep doing Tri races (which I think we will), that we'll look into the club.  See you in Lynchburg in 14 days!

Actually out in Afton :-)  Due to my inability to schedule much of anything, I've avoided most group stuff, but I've heard some good things about the Tri Club.  Unfortunately, most of my training is done when I sense a free hour coming.  Maybe not the best for preparation, but I do what I can!  btw, since you're up north of town, look into the Culpeper sprint in Aug.  That's a really challenging (but fun) sprint course.

How's training?  Are you ready?  I had a miserable week last week, but back on track this week just in time to taper... hahaha!  See you in a week+.  I'll be the tall (6'4") old guy with blue bike and helmet (and you can see my pic).  Say hi!

Stu

2012-04-13 5:10 AM
in reply to: #4146211

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Time is ticking down. Anyone picking up info Sat. We need to meet up and say hi. Race day can be a bit busy other than a quick hello. I'll be the tall guy in a blue tri top riding a red Cervelo. Say hi when you pass me.

Still need to do a couple more bricks before next week. Planning on riding the bike leg this Sat.

Everyone stay healthy and hope for good weather.

2012-04-16 6:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Got a topic going about racing in the rain. Thought we could use a little advice for this weekend. Looks like we might be wet.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...
2012-04-16 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4154493

User image

Expert

I've had mostly good weather for races, so I guess I'm due this year (totally got dumped on in a half marathon in March).  So, I think the key place to be careful is heading out of Lynchburg on the bike descent, otherwise I think the roads should be okay.  Though that does remind me that as you come out of T1 on one of the main streets before descending, there are some pavers / cobblestones that would be smart to avoid whether wet or dry. 

btw, I always just go down the morning of the race.  Well organized and always have had plenty of time to do everything that morning.

Two more days of "hard" training and then will start "tapering".  I've got a jumbled week coming up, and can't afford two light weeks in a row :-)

See y'all Sunday!

Stu

2012-04-17 5:53 AM

There is still time for it to turn into sunny and 65!

For those of you who have done this before, how long does the pool start take?  I think I signed myself up for the 7-8 minute swim group as I am a slow swimmer.  Of course, I don't mean to imply that I am fast at any of the other events.  ;-)

Mike

2012-04-17 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4154962

User image

Expert
shenvalleybiker - 2012-04-17 6:53 AM

There is still time for it to turn into sunny and 65!

For those of you who have done this before, how long does the pool start take?  I think I signed myself up for the 7-8 minute swim group as I am a slow swimmer.  Of course, I don't mean to imply that I am fast at any of the other events.  ;-)

Mike

Swim start times will be posted on the set-up events site on Friday.  Start times are every 15 seconds starting with the fastest pace (though as I recall, they do put in some relays or slower folks sprinkled along the way with a 2 min. break in between - kind of funky, actually)

I'm okay with cloudy and 65 :-) But we sure do need the rain in Central VA.

Stu

2012-04-17 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
2012-04-20 10:05 AM

So I think we're ready, though not sure how we'll do in the rain, that worries me.  I was very confident until I got the race information in the email that said you have 2 hours and 15 minutes to finish and that if you don't do it in the time you'll have to hand over your timing chip.  I thought it was 2 hours and 30 minutes and didn't realize you'd have to give them your timing chip.  My goal was/is just to finish, regarldless of how logn it takes me though, so it's fine if it's not timed, I guess .  I'm not supposed to run, due to joint injuries, so the last part will take me a long time, which is why I'm worried about the time limit.  Either way, I'm excited.  Felt really good after our last bike ride, which had plenty of hills in it.  I'm still praying for no rain though.  Yes, we desperately need it, but hoping it will wait till around 1:30 to start, for us racers, but also so my kids can be at the finish line (9 month old probably won't wait in rain too long!).
2012-04-20 10:07 AM

Forgot to mention, Stu, that I'll look into the Culpepper one. I was wanting to sign up for atleast one more this fall, though August is pretty hot and I do not do hot weather well at all (had a "minor" heat stroke in basic training and now can't handle it well).   I was also looking at one in Fredericksburg which looks easy (might help my confidence lol) or one that's between richmond and Charlottesville, in Sept I think. 

2012-04-20 10:22 AM

Swim times are listed.  I'm a little confused b/c hubby and i are starting around 8:30 and we are very slow!  Like 11:30 min swim time.  That is the time we registered with, and the start times are still 15 sec around us, so not sure what will happen.  Very thankful though that we aren't last so I have abit more time on the bike. 
2012-04-20 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4162653

User image

Expert

dallasandjen - 2012-04-20 11:22 AM Swim times are listed.  I'm a little confused b/c hubby and i are starting around 8:30 and we are very slow!  Like 11:30 min swim time.  That is the time we registered with, and the start times are still 15 sec around us, so not sure what will happen.  Very thankful though that we aren't last so I have abit more time on the bike. 

Jen, note that at 8:34, there is a break in the action... so, what I believe they are doing is having the starts in several "clumps", where within each clump it goes from fast to slow and then a break and start at fast again.  This is nice for slower folks so they have an "equal" chance at finishing at a reasonable time.  I start at 8:44, so I'll look for you guys - and maybe see you on the bike or run too!

And yes, the Culpeper one can be HOT and it is fairly challenging for a sprint (especially the hill run coming off the bike).  There's also one in Warrenton (which I haven't done) in Sept and one out at Lake Anna in Oct (I've done the Olympic length but also a sprint).  Lots of possibilities!

Hoping for no rain, but starting to try to prepare for it :-)

Stu

2012-04-20 11:26 AM

Thanks for pointing that out Stu.  Makes me a bit more comfortable.  See you Sunday.
2012-04-20 12:50 PM

Where are the times posted on the website?  I am missing them somehow.

Thanks,

Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Angels Race VA : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2