of 39

2012-02-23 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4062702

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Flo Cycling Wheels
dgunthert - 2012-02-23 1:36 PM
ToeKnail - 2012-02-23 12:32 PM 

HOLY CRAP my credit card was billed 4 times for the order!!!

You hit refresh on the "Please Wait" screen, didn't you?

Sort of - after being stuck on the processing page I clicked on view cart and started over. Oops!

2012-02-23 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4017709

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

Not to rain on their parade, but I got looking around the web at other low-priced aero wheels, and found Williams and Boyd.  They run about $200/set higher, and both seem to have been around for at least a few years.

Am I missing something? 

2012-02-23 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4062868

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
tcj103 - 2012-02-23 2:26 PM

Not to rain on their parade, but I got looking around the web at other low-priced aero wheels, and found Williams and Boyd.  They run about $200/set higher, and both seem to have been around for at least a few years.

Am I missing something? 

Yeah, there $200 more and less aero.  It's called most bang for buck.

2012-02-23 1:40 PM

Master
, California

I never liked "pre-ordering" anything.  If it's available it's available.  Why take people's money before then?  Oh that's right, the hype-train.  This would be amusing if real money wasn't involved.

2012-02-23 1:43 PM

User image

I was on with everyone else but coils not get an order to go through until 11:18 pst think my order # is out of first group! I even called to try to preorder! They were swamped so I didn't push it as they not set up for phone orders. John was really nice on the phone! Thanks for even answering my call. Really sucks that I'm likely gonna miss the first shipment!
2012-02-23 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4062899

User image

Pro
spudone - 2012-02-23 1:40 PM

I never liked "pre-ordering" anything.  If it's available it's available.  Why take people's money before then?  Oh that's right, the hype-train.  This would be amusing if real money wasn't involved.

Eh...truth is, I think it's a pretty cool story even if I like to poke some fun at it.  At some point I'll likely buy a disc from them if the reviews turn out to be true since a cover from wheel builders won't fit my SC.  I think the owners of FLO played this perfectly and should be rightfully proud.

2012-02-23 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Channahon,Illinois
Made it to the confirm order page and it was spinning forever. Not sure if order was ever placed...no charge on my CC yet  Also couldn't help but notice that it was a HTTP and not a HTTPS on the credit card info page. Heres to hoping my order went thru and it was secure.
2012-02-23 1:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
spudone - 2012-02-23 2:40 PM

Could end up being even more amusing SINCE real money is involved...and mine included.

Honestly, i don't care that i'm pre-ordering. i have to pay the money at some point. My opportunity cost is nothing, since my bank pays me nothing to have it there. I'm not going to use them for a few months anyways, and if they're that good, i'll have them for a while. I'm not in a hurry to have something now. This is the cost and item i have been looking for, so i'm fine with doing it this way.

2012-02-23 1:58 PM

Veteran
Surrey, BC
spudone - 2012-02-23 11:40 AM

What does a hype-train have anything to do with taking peoples money before the wheels are available?

FLO simply doesn't have the capital to purchase the thousands of wheels on their own, hence the pre-order. They're a start-up company.
Off course this isn't always the case for start-up companies as some are able to obtain funding through investors and what not. If this was the case for FLO in a couple years, then you can question their underlying operational efficiencies.

I think the two brothers have done an amazing job with FLO and personally I'm excited to get my set of wheels.

To me this is no different than booking a vacation months ahead. You pay for it at the time of booking, yet you don't go on vacation for months. Any Different? Nope.

Edited by Lukasz 2012-02-23 2:16 PM
2012-02-23 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Being a business owner, I think they have been brilliant so far.  Think about it.  An unknown product just made them well over $150,000 today.  One day.  They did something right with their marketing.  Following this thread has been entertaining today.  Having just bought the garmin 910xt, I must wait a bit longer before my wife......you guys understand.  
2012-02-23 2:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto, Canada

I was stuck on the PLEASE WAIT after entering my CC information as a guest.

I am at work so I ran to a meeting and an hour later it was still at PLEASE WAIT.  I closed the page and called my credit card company and it looks like my order was placed.

The only problem is...I don't know what shipment batch i'm in!!!!  I hope i'm in the first group.  If not, I may reconsider.

2012-02-23 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4063025

User image

Pro

rsmoylan - 2012-02-23 2:15 PM Being a business owner, I think they have been brilliant so far.  Think about it.  An unknown product just made them well over $150,000 today.  One day.  They did something right with their marketing.  Following this thread has been entertaining today.  Having just bought the garmin 910xt, I must wait a bit longer before my wife......you guys understand.  

Uh....they had over 2200 sign up for the pre-order....let's say only half of those ordered a wheel....let's say that half only ordered ONE wheel each (that DIDN'T happen).....use $400.00 as an average per wheel. Do the math.....brilliant hardly covers it.  Very impressive.

2012-02-23 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4063050

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
Left Brain - 2012-02-23 3:24 PM

rsmoylan - 2012-02-23 2:15 PM Being a business owner, I think they have been brilliant so far.  Think about it.  An unknown product just made them well over $150,000 today.  One day.  They did something right with their marketing.  Following this thread has been entertaining today.  Having just bought the garmin 910xt, I must wait a bit longer before my wife......you guys understand.  

Uh....they had over 2200 sign up for the pre-order....let's say only half of those ordered a wheel....let's say that half only ordered ONE wheel each (that DIDN'T happen).....use $400.00 as an average per wheel. Do the math.....brilliant hardly covers it.  Very impressive.

yeah, the estimate of $150k was way off when you look at it that way.

And i think the smartest thing they did was continually stay in touch with the boards/emails/etc.. They did a phenomenal job at that and built confidence with everyone. Earned a lot more sales that way..even if they do end up running off with our money Cry

2012-02-23 2:45 PM

User image

Does anyone know what type of testing FLO wheels have gone through?  I really hope that FLO succeeds with quality wheels.  But what really makes me cringe is that they received their production prototypes on January 24th, then on February 9th announced that pre-orders would begin soon.

I'm not really worried about FLO's wheel design...I'm worried about how the design translated to what the manufacturing company (not FLO) actually produced.  FLO has already experienced production flaws with a previous manufacturer...flaws so great that they were visually obvious and likely weren't even field tested.  I'm sure most people agree that it's possible to have manufacturing flaws in a wheel that are not visible.  And if so, is 16 days enough time to test for those flaws?

Zipp came out with their new Firecrest design recently.  I would be curious to know how long, how much, and what type of testing they did upon receiving their prototype models before deciding they were satisfactory to go through with ordering production models.  Something tells me it was a lot longer than 16 days...despite Zipp having nearly 20 years experience in the wheel manufacturing business. 

2012-02-23 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4062972

User image

Veteran
Denver
Lukasz - 2012-02-23 12:58 PM
spudone - 2012-02-23 11:40 AM

What does a hype-train have anything to do with taking peoples money before the wheels are available? FLO simply doesn't have the capital to purchase the thousands of wheels on their own, hence the pre-order. They're a start-up company. Off course this isn't always the case for start-up companies as some are able to obtain funding through investors and what not. If this was the case for FLO in a couple years, then you can question their underlying operational efficiencies. I think the two brothers have done an amazing job with FLO and personally I'm excited to get my set of wheels. To me this is no different than booking a vacation months ahead. You pay for it at the time of booking, yet you don't go on vacation for months. Any Different? Nope.

Can I get an AMEN!!!!!!!!

Edited by Dino019 2012-02-23 2:56 PM
2012-02-23 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4062862

User image

axteraa - 2012-02-23 1:25 PM I'm order 212 - I'm hoping the 211 previous orders didn't order too many multiples! 

Well I'm in for a 60/90 at # 312.  Sounds like a lot of people refreshed on the payment page and submitted multiple orders, so I'm hoping I'll move up some.

Still I should be solidly in the 2nd group to get wheels in July.  Really want them before Augusta at the end of September so I should be good.

2012-02-23 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4062972

User image

Lukasz - 2012-02-23 8:58 AM  To me this is no different than booking a vacation months ahead. You pay for it at the time of booking, yet you don't go on vacation for months. Any Different? Nope.

No different than booking a vacation at a hotel or via a plane that has yet to be built.

2012-02-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4063171

Veteran
Surrey, BC
tri808 - 2012-02-23 1:03 PM

Lukasz - 2012-02-23 8:58 AM  To me this is no different than booking a vacation months ahead. You pay for it at the time of booking, yet you don't go on vacation for months. Any Different? Nope.

No different than booking a vacation at a hotel or via a plane that has yet to be built.

No different than booking a flight and/or vacation and having that company go out of business.

Thank goodness for Visa.
2012-02-23 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4063116

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
tri808 - 2012-02-23 3:45 PM

Does anyone know what type of testing FLO wheels have gone through?  I really hope that FLO succeeds with quality wheels.  But what really makes me cringe is that they received their production prototypes on January 24th, then on February 9th announced that pre-orders would begin soon.

I'm not really worried about FLO's wheel design...I'm worried about how the design translated to what the manufacturing company (not FLO) actually produced.  FLO has already experienced production flaws with a previous manufacturer...flaws so great that they were visually obvious and likely weren't even field tested.  I'm sure most people agree that it's possible to have manufacturing flaws in a wheel that are not visible.  And if so, is 16 days enough time to test for those flaws?

Zipp came out with their new Firecrest design recently.  I would be curious to know how long, how much, and what type of testing they did upon receiving their prototype models before deciding they were satisfactory to go through with ordering production models.  Something tells me it was a lot longer than 16 days...despite Zipp having nearly 20 years experience in the wheel manufacturing business. 

Ding!  Maybe I've become pessimistic, as I work in technical support in the aerospace/defense industry, and see stuff get screwed up from suppliers all the time.  That's just on the quality side, which is more about building to the design spec.  The other side is the design side, which it seems they did good research on the shape, with the CFD and wind tunnel work.  I didn't see much on durability/lifetime issues; did they test a wheel for 500 miles?  Not knowing what other companies do doesn't help, maybe design safety factors are up high enough to account for this.

I hope they have success, and it seems they're off to a good start, but buying the first new thing off a production line that you trust with your personal safety is tough for me.

2012-02-23 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4063176

User image

Lukasz - 2012-02-23 10:05 AM
tri808 - 2012-02-23 1:03 PM

No different than booking a flight and/or vacation and having that company go out of business. Thank goodness for Visa.

You can surely get a refund for a product not delivered.  You can't get a refund for a product delivered that does not meet your expectations.  Anytime you buy something...there is a chance it might not meet your expectations.  That chance significantly rises when a product you buy does not yet exist.

2012-02-23 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I haven't had time to go through all of the comments.  I will eventually get to them all.  I wanted to give a general update to everyone...

First, our database crashed out of the gate.  Many people were getting the following error...

Error: Could not make a database connection using [email protected]

The rush of people at the beginning crashed our database.  We contacted our hosting company and the site was live in a matter of minutes.  We are sorry about that!

Second, in the rush, some people refreshed their payments screens and were double charged.  We are currently sorting through all of the orders (there are quite a few so please be patient) and refunding anyone who had a double charge. 

The shipping schedules will be out as soon as possible.  There is an incredible amount of data to go through so please be patient.  

Finally, we cannot thank everyone enough for their support.  Today was a tremendous start for our company.

Thank you, 

2012-02-23 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I haven't had time to go through all of the comments.  I will eventually get to them all.  I wanted to give a general update to everyone...

First, our database crashed out of the gate.  Many people were getting the following error...

Error: Could not make a database connection using [email protected]

The rush of people at the beginning crashed our database.  We contacted our hosting company and the site was live in a matter of minutes.  We are sorry about that!

Second, in the rush, some people refreshed their payments screens and were double charged.  We are currently sorting through all of the orders (there are quite a few so please be patient) and refunding anyone who had a double charge. 

The shipping schedules will be out as soon as possible.  There is an incredible amount of data to go through so please be patient.  

Finally, we cannot thank everyone enough for their support.  Today was a tremendous start for our company.

Thank you, 

2012-02-23 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4063253

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member

tri808 - 2012-02-23 3:31 PM

You can't get a refund for a product delivered that does not meet your expectations.  

Since when?

2012-02-23 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4063253

Veteran
Surrey, BC
tri808 - 2012-02-23 1:31 PM

You can surely get a refund for a product not delivered. You can't get a refund for a product delivered that does not meet your expectations.  Anytime you buy something...there is a chance it might not meet your expectations.  That chance significantly rises when a product you buy does not yet exist.

Actually you can. The guys at FLO have made it very clear that if you are not satisfied with the wheels, you can return them as long as they have not been used. Therefor, it makes pushing that "Confirm order" button a little easier.
2012-02-23 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4063116

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
tri808 - 2012-02-23 1:45 PM

I think the major difference is the firecrest is a carbon wheel and fairing, the flo wheel is a regular aluminum wheel with a carbon fairing that is not load bearing. 

Yes there still could be problems as evidenced in the first run they had, but I don't think a non-load bearing carbon piece requires quite as much on road testing as something like a full carbon wheel would.

That said, my wife gave me her best stank eye when I even mentioned the pre-order so it looks like I will have plenty of time to wait and see reviews before I am allowed to order any.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flo Cycling Wheels Rss Feed  

of 39