General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low Volume training part II (aka I'm not a Troll, i swear!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-02-01 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4021615

Subject: RE: Low Volume training part II (aka I'm not a Troll, i swear!)

i've only got a few minutes before i teach a class but i wanted to try to keep up here - first of all thanks to those that have weighed in.

I get a sense that for many the training is part of the allure for IM.  i have no issue with that nor did the OP raise one.  my initial post back in january drew pretty much unanimous criticism about the idea that the type of low volume approach i was advocating/exploring could serve as adequate preparation for IM - in pretty much any case.  This time around many responses seem at least somewhat more accepting that it might work for limited cases, but question why anyone would want to go that route.  fair enough. 

maybe i'm way off but it seems to me that at least some (not insignificant) subset of folks aspiring to do IM committ to the high training hours because thats the only way they believe that they can prepare themselves.  Furthermore, i'd wager that a fair number of 'average IM finishers' - those finishing somewhere between 13 and 16 hours or so, do very little truly high intensity work in preparation.  and research (there is lots of it over these last 15 years) has shown that HIIT training can and does produce the same or similar physiological adaptations in terms of all the actual physical markers that indicate endurance capability as compared to moderate steady state training.  In fact in one study that examined a range of interval training schemes, the two best ones for improving time trial performances were ones that incorporated scheme that is traditionally held as being best (time at or near VO2 max for 6-20 minute intervals, as one poster mentioned) and a scheme modeled after tabata intervals that involved anaerobic work.  the findings for HIIT have definitely been counterintuitive, but they have been found over and over - training anaerobic increases VO2 max and race pace level performance similarly to training in these zones, in a fraction of the time.

There has also been research that shows (at least on the bike) that HIIT training in recreationally active subjects (termed 'sedentary' in the study) produces the same results.  

about base - what does this mean?  how long does a base last?  if people are going to claim that i must have a good base then i'd agree.  but this would also mean that someone who's done an IM or two would have a good base and if they prefered and had the mental capacity for more high intensity work, could probably continue to compete in IM with a third or less of the training time that they are currently using.  again - if you like training, awesome. but even if you like training sometimes you don't have the time.... do you need to give up the racing if you also get some satisfaction from that?  is it really an either you do it this way or don't do it at all?

i did swim in HS, and this is a strength.  when i train in the pool i can consistently keep a pace of between 1:30-1:40 per 100yds if i work at it, at least for about 100-200 yds.

and for the record - i'll i'm trying to do is apply my own critical analysis to a system that i find intriguing.... what we prize now in the way of 'best training practices' may or may not be what we prize 20 years from now.  claiming that my ideas are nonsense simply because they go against the status quo, without careful critical analysis of that status quo doesn't really say much.  thankfully, many poster's seem to be offering well thought out and rational discussion.

cheers

2012-02-01 1:17 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
First off, I'm way too lazy to open up my books... to spew out facts to support anything intelligent I might want to add here. So I'm going to stay away from comments that require facts/studies/etc. to back them up.

With that said... I think if someone is wanting to pull an experiment to see what is possible... I say go for it. It's his body, and his race. And you know what? It might just work. And guess what... if it does... it might possible change how some people train. Although, it seems that his method is best for someone who has history in endurance sports, not a newbie.

Humans are breaking records and doing things people never thought possible... all the time! And they are doing it because they didn't let "you can't do that" get in their way. They saw past the negative people stuck in the "old way" of doing something... and pushed on.

I know a guy who trains for a half marathon like this... he runs 7-8 miles at 7:00 mm... he figures if he can do that, he can run 13.1 miles at 8:30 mm. Guess what... he does it. Works for him.

Right now I'm letting my coach run an experiment of sorts on me. I am a believer in long runs to prepare for a half marathon. He believes that I can do it without doing long runs. Instead, I'm doing a lot of volume spread out over days, versus 3 days a week of high volume. Personally, I'm pretty sure I'm going to crash and burn at my half marathon, but I'm willing to do it... to prove him wrong. Ha! Or hey, who knows, maybe he'll prove me wrong. But it's a half marathon I don't really care about, so I'm willing to take that gamble.

Anyways, maybe this guy is on to something. I think this thread might be better discussed over at Slow Twitch as there tends to be more experienced and more technical triathletes over there. Of course, they are a lot more brutal as well. But he might get a good dialoge going with someone over there.
2012-02-01 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4023560

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

KSH - 2012-02-01 2:17 PM

Right now I'm letting my coach run an experiment of sorts on me. I am a believer in long runs to prepare for a half marathon. He believes that I can do it without doing long runs. Instead, I'm doing a lot of volume spread out over days, versus 3 days a week of high volume.

Sounds like your coach knows something about running.  There's a long history that generally supports his view over yours.

2012-02-01 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4023560

KSH - 2012-02-01 1:17  Anyways, maybe this guy is on to something. I think this thread might be better discussed over at Slow Twitch as there tends to be more experienced and more technical triathletes over there. Of course, they are a lot more brutal as well. But he might get a good dialoge going with someone over there.

thanks for the suggestion KSH - maybe i'll see what slowtwitchers have to say.  BT has been pretty forgiving and most posters have genuinely given feedback without just flaming (am i using that term right?) or being negative because there is anyonymity and they can. The result has been (at least from my point of view) a great dialogue that has helped me develop and articulate my thoughts more clearly and fully.  Based on your post i sense that hoping for as much over at ST might be hoping for too much though?

and interestingly, at least looking back throught the posts, it looks like there are a fair number of 'non-newbie' folks in BT forums as well, particularly looking at threads in the IM training category... at least one of the guys replying has posted sub 10 hr IM finishes i recall.... thats pretty damn high end, isn't it?

2012-02-01 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4023727

User image

magn6494 - 2012-02-01 12:24 PM

KSH - 2012-02-01 1:17  Anyways, maybe this guy is on to something. I think this thread might be better discussed over at Slow Twitch as there tends to be more experienced and more technical triathletes over there. Of course, they are a lot more brutal as well. But he might get a good dialoge going with someone over there.

thanks for the suggestion KSH - maybe i'll see what slowtwitchers have to say.  BT has been pretty forgiving and most posters have genuinely given feedback without just flaming (am i using that term right?) or being negative because there is anyonymity and they can. The result has been (at least from my point of view) a great dialogue that has helped me develop and articulate my thoughts more clearly and fully.  Based on your post i sense that hoping for as much over at ST might be hoping for too much though?

and interestingly, at least looking back throught the posts, it looks like there are a fair number of 'non-newbie' folks in BT forums as well, particularly looking at threads in the IM training category... at least one of the guys replying has posted sub 10 hr IM finishes i recall.... thats pretty damn high end, isn't it?

your skin is thick enough, I would love to see what some of the STers have to say.  You'll probably get some more colorful language, but I bet you'd get some good feedback from some very fast guys (in addition to those fast guys here)

2012-02-01 3:07 PM

Master
, California

but this would also mean that someone who's done an IM or two would have a good base and if they prefered and had the mental capacity for more high intensity work, could probably continue to compLete in IM with a third or less of the training time that they are currently using.

fixed that for you

2012-02-01 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4023818

spudone - 2012-02-01 3:07 PM

but this would also mean that someone who's done an IM or two would have a good base and if they prefered and had the mental capacity for more high intensity work, could probably continue to compLete in IM with a third or less of the training time that they are currently using.

fixed that for you

thanks spudone - i suppose compete is a pretty loaded term so i'd have done better to be a bit more careful and/or define it better.  I personally feel that i'm being competitive as an AG athlete if i'm finishing in the top quarter to third of the field and this is usually a goal for me when i enter big events. realistically i can't 'compete' if that means vieing for the podium - although this is probably mostly due to genetics (yeah alot of posters think i have above average genetics and i won't argue this fact, but there's a big span between 'above average' genetics and a podium finish at any IM....) and perhaps a little because i'm sure i could get faster if i was able/willing to prioritize training to a greater extent.  

back when i first committed to still trying to do long events on limited training my goal became to be 'off by 50', which incidentally also led to my target of a 12 hour IM finish.

2012-02-01 4:46 PM

Master
, California

That was a little snarky but just in fun.  I think with your swim background, you have a leg up on many people from the start -- both in terms of pure time saved, and having a better bike leg.

The real make-or-break of your proposal, as Shane pointed out, is running and the ability to complete your training cycle, of whatever duration, without injury.

2012-02-01 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4023727

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
magn6494 - 2012-02-01 1:24 PM

• .. at least one of the guys replying has posted sub 10 hr IM finishes i recall.... thats pretty damn high end, isn't it?

• Which I assume you understand will be well beyond what you can do using this training protocol. I can speak to what it takes to get there from both a training and genetic standpoint. I have little doubt you couldn't finish a race, 17 hours is an exceedingly generous amount of time. I'm still confused why you would want to do a "race", it is a race after all, and do so underprepared. Is to prove a point or did you loose a bet?
    2012-02-01 5:44 PM
    in reply to: #4024110

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.
    2012-02-01 6:09 PM
    in reply to: #4024137

Champion
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Yeah, hey to each his own. But I think intentionally preparing for a RACE by doing as little as possible kind of defeats the purpose.

2012-02-01 6:44 PM

bryan - preparing as little as possible is not preparing at all (doing nothing).  i'm arguing that sufficient preparation may not have to limited to following a program comprising of 15+ hours of training a week.  I'm not looking for a shortcut or trying to pull a stunt.  i just discovered that i love big endurance efforts but i didn't love committing the amount of time to them that traditional 'protocol' demanded, so i started trying to figure out how fit i could get on the time i had and then entered and participated in big events anyway and found, initially to my surprise, that it seemed to work.  

certainly one thing that helps is consistency.  as i've mentioned, one concept that i think may be at play is that even though my average weekly  hours have been 3 or less for the past 4 or so years, i've been very consistent, had mostly very high quality workouts, and have, mainly by entering and suffering through events learned what it takes to complete them (logistically and mentally).

BryanCD's reply makes it seem like everyone does IM to race.  this is counter to my belief.  don't you think the vast majority of folks do it for more personal reasons?  lots of people are really competing with themselves more than anything, as they know going in that they aren't going to be 'competitive'.  similarly, people are willing to sacrifice different amounts for the end result of aiming to finish IM (or any other serious endurance event).  just because i'm not willing or able to sacrifice 15 hours doesn't mean i can't be committed to the goal, does it?  

But for me there is a larger question, which is what i'm interested in exploring.... it seems to me that maybe current IM/endurance training 'wisdom' is both not as consistent as posters here seem to believe and that maybe, just maybe, there are multiple paths (one higher volume, one significantly lower volume) that could lead to same or similar fitness platforms from which to participate in events.  having options is a good thing.  and i think its kind of silly to think that if such options exist and someone chooses to spend less time training (and say more time with their kids) that anyone would suggest that they were just doing it to 'prove a point'.  

and yes, i do have kids - six and three, and a new non-profit, and a handful of part time jobs.  so with my aspirations, seeking a higher intensity lower volume approach is way more than a stunt.  i am not convinced that there aren't other people who would be interested in such options, if in fact they are viable.  so i think maybe the answer does mean something.....

if you're not interested, fair enough... if you are, then i look forward to the discussion.

2012-02-01 6:51 PM
    in reply to: #4024232

2012-02-01 6:58 PM
    in reply to: #4024232

Champion
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I'm all for participating in your "experiment" and what other people are looking to achieve from finishing an Ironman to be honest is meaningless to me. By definition, it is a race. It's not a right of passage, it's a race where you try and maximize your performance. I grew up with Ironman. My Mom was an AG world record holder at Kona during the '80's. I can't recall one time where she said to me "gee, I would love to do as little as possible to finish this event." nor did she say that to all the people she presented to as a motivational speaker. So you are correct, I can't get there from here. I don't begrudge you this endeavor, but let's call a spade a spade, shall we? This is a stunt, it's amusing, I wish you the best, I could care less if you succeed or not but if you ever want to actual compete in a race, you know my name and I will be there to help if I can. I think your protocol is limited and will not produce maximum results. As I said, if just finishing is enough to you, knock yourself out.
    2012-02-01 7:01 PM

Edited by Fred D 2012-02-01 7:04 PM
    2012-02-01 7:12 PM

2012-02-01 7:40 PM
    in reply to: #4024237

You are migrating into extremes. It's not 15 hours a week OR your version of 2 hours a week. There are many shades of grey in between and it may shock you but I don't even get 10 hours a week in myself. This is not black and white, ie; it's not 15 hours a week vs. 2....rather it's finding out how to make 7-10 a week work for all of our busy lives. This is a key part you are missing.

Fred - you're absolutely right but nowhere in the above post did i make the statement 15 or 2..... the fact that i'm training two might represent close to one extreme, but i'm interested in looking at lower volume approaches.  Endurance nation is a group that takes a similar approach but still is pushing programs that are right around 10 hrs on the low end and 18 on the high end.  And what kind of response would someone get if they came on here and said - hey, i've got 6 hours a week to train for ironman... can i do it?  based on the browsing of forums i've done, the overwhelming response would be:  thats not enough - settle for olympic or HIM until you've got more time.

these are the people i'm interested in.  they want to train for ironman to do their best.  but what this always means (even though its never explicitly stated) is that they want to do the best they can while operating within the limits that their life (other priorities) imposes.  

99% or more of triathletes aren't at their potential, regardless of what training they follow.  they don't have the luxury to sleep 10 hours, get daily massages to maximize recovery, have personal coaches, nutritionists, and the security of knowing their families are provided for and all they have to do is focus on racing.  most aspiring IMers come on here to get advice on how to train, etc.  many use general programs that aren't individualized at all.  athletes have all different strengths and capabilties - and i think there are, as you said, many shades of gray as to what can prepare someone for the IM that they want to run.  I find that the the idea of 'low volume' for IM bottoms out (at least based on all the looking i did) at around 10-12 hours a week on average.  so fred, as you mentioned - you are indeed pretty much bucking the trend - particularly since you've mentioned you're going sub 10.  

and i suppose no matter how much i write or do with this, it will always be easy for those that wish to dismiss it as a stunt to do so.  so be it.

2012-02-01 7:55 PM

Edited by Fred D 2012-02-01 7:58 PM
    2012-02-01 7:59 PM

Champion
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    One of my team mates onthe ZOOT Ultra Team train with Endurance Nation. That has vervlittlewith what you are proposing so I wouldn't try make that analogy.
    2012-02-01 8:47 PM
    in reply to: #4024350

bryancd - 2012-02-01 7:59 PM One of my team mates onthe ZOOT Ultra Team train with Endurance Nation. That has vervlittlewith what you are proposing so I wouldn't try make that analogy.

bryan - i'm not trying to draw a parallel between the actual training EN proposes and my ideas.  when i first stared looking to see what else was out there in terms of minimalist training i found EN and liked the way they articulated some of their philosophy on making training fit life (as opposed to the other way around) and promoting a greater emphasis on speed work because of the greater return on investment in terms of time.  but your right, the extreme low volume that i'm using looks very little like EN programs.

I do feel that some of the principals overlap though - i had some good conversations with rich and patrick a couple years ago and in no way want to misrepresent their training ideas as being similar to mine.  We agree on alot to be sure, but disagree on enough as well.  

2012-02-02 3:53 AM
    in reply to: #4024436

2012-02-02 7:21 AM
    in reply to: #4023504

Champion
    Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
    magn6494 - 2012-02-01 2:59 PM

my initial post back in january drew pretty much unanimous criticism about the idea that the type of low volume approach i was advocating/exploring could serve as adequate preparation for IM - in pretty much any case.  This time around many responses seem at least somewhat more accepting that it might work for limited cases, but question why anyone would want to go that route.  fair enough.

If by limited cases you mean someone who is genetically gifted enough to finish an event with very minimal training, is willing to significantly underperform based on their potential and is prepared to suffer greatly on race day, then I would agree with you.

maybe i'm way off but it seems to me that at least some (not insignificant) subset of folks aspiring to do IM committ to the high training hours because thats the only way they believe that they can prepare themselves.  Furthermore, i'd wager that a fair number of 'average IM finishers' - those finishing somewhere between 13 and 16 hours or so, do very little truly high intensity work in preparation.

Some athletes commit to high training hours in order to complete IM but I would guess that the majority are somewhere in the 8-12 hour range; not super low volume but not super high volume either.

I do agree that many get stuck in rut of doing lots of low intensity efforts to prepare for IM and this is mostly a waste of time - however, IME there are better solutions that jumping to HIIT.

and research (there is lots of it over these last 15 years) has shown that HIIT training can and does produce the same or similar physiological adaptations in terms of all the actual physical markers that indicate endurance capability as compared to moderate steady state training.  In fact in one study that examined a range of interval training schemes, the two best ones for improving time trial performances were ones that incorporated scheme that is traditionally held as being best (time at or near VO2 max for 6-20 minute intervals, as one poster mentioned) and a scheme modeled after tabata intervals that involved anaerobic work.

Could you post the links - to at least the abstracts. This is not surprising but it would be nice to see the protocol and who the test subjects were before commenting.

the findings for HIIT have definitely been counterintuitive, but they have been found over and over - training anaerobic increases VO2 max and race pace level performance similarly to training in these zones, in a fraction of the time.

I would say they are not counter-intuitive at all since most "anaerobic" training quickly devolves into high end aerobic training so it only stands to reason that aerobic adaptations would occur. IMO the question isn't whether or not these types of workouts will build aerobic capacity but rather, are they appropriate to form the foundation for an endurance training program.

about base - what does this mean?  how long does a base last?  if people are going to claim that i must have a good base then i'd agree.

Base is the total of all training stress you've previous adapted to less any detraining that has occured.

but this would also mean that someone who's done an IM or two would have a good base and if they prefered and had the mental capacity for more high intensity work, could probably continue to compete in IM with a third or less of the training time that they are currently using. 

I agree; but if they are looking to continue to set PB's, then it is unlikely that switching to a 2 hours per week protocol will be effective.

again - if you like training, awesome. but even if you like training sometimes you don't have the time.... do you need to give up the racing if you also get some satisfaction from that?  is it really an either you do it this way or don't do it at all?

Absolutely not; although I don't race IM, since the birth of my daughter I have not had nearly the consistency that I previously had in my training. I rarely swim (fortunately I was a decent swimmer so can usually do ok even with swimming only a handful of times per year), I bike commute (and ride around threshold most days) and run occasionally. Because of the fitness I had built from training consistently, I can still sign up for a race and do well but fall well short of what I would do if I were training more.

and for the record - i'll i'm trying to do is apply my own critical analysis to a system that i find intriguing.... what we prize now in the way of 'best training practices' may or may not be what we prize 20 years from now.

Your thoughts on high intensity/low volume have been tried; see the US's world dominance of middle and distance running in the 80's and 90's to see how that worked out.

claiming that my ideas are nonsense simply because they go against the status quo, without careful critical analysis of that status quo doesn't really say much.  thankfully, many poster's seem to be offering well thought out and rational discussion.

I don't think anyone is doing that.

Shane
    2012-02-02 8:04 AM

Champion
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Yeah, and for the record, I agree that there is a more s more mentality to a lot of M training that I often advocate against here, on ST, and in my local community. So when I look at AG'ers who shell themselves every week with a lot of huge and poor quality volume and just shake my head, I suppose I am having a similar reaction to this. It's so extreme, that's why I refer to it as more a stunt and like I aid, I have no doubt it can be done, so there's nothing really to prove.
    2012-02-02 2:09 PM
    in reply to: #4024683

Fred D - I think Rich would be pretty unlikely to see any parallels with your training. .

From Patrick (of EN) in 2010 after the said discussions:

Coach Patrick here, just checking in. I can't answer for Rich specifically, but I can say that one of the biggest reasons we dial intensity "down" in race prep phase is because it's specific to the race. Yes, you can juggle hours, etc., to get recovery and keep your training time commitment low, but you'll enter race day with a lot of questions: what will my back feel like at 5 hours on the bike? Will my nutrition last that long? How differently do I need to fuel / pace between a typical 3 hour ride and my race day ride of 5.5 hours, etc. We use the last 12 weeks of the plan to extend the rides (most max at 4-4.5 hours, with 2 x 112 mile race simulation rides) and build the run. I think we are on the same page, you are just pushing the envelope more. Good luck!

as i mentioned - i wasn't making parallels between the actual training, only some of the principals behind it. 

2012-02-02 2:27 PM

maybe i should rephrase my position and make it less extreme (maybe i should have done this initially?

I notice an absence of a middle ground.  maybe its there and i don't see it.  I imagine if a recreational athlete though who was reasonably fit and could swim ok thought - damn, i want to do an IM - that looks awesome and sought advice, one of the first things he would be asked to consider is how much time he had available for training.  lets go away from my extremes and say the guys said - "i can commit 4-5 hours a week to training".  maybe he has to fit everything in on during the week because he's divorced and only gets the kids on weekends, whatever. 

how many people on here would ever consider saying - yeah man, if you work for those 4-5 hours a week and work hard - no problem!  you'll have to enter a couple of races on the way to sort some stuff out but you can do it! 

not everyone needs to know they are doing the best they could possibly do if they had perfect conditions to get something out of it.  Fred only sleeps 6-7 hours if that so he's certainly not racing at his potential but no one is saying 'why are you even bothering then fred?'  no one looks at that as a shortcut?  (which brings up another point - is getting the training in at the expense of sleep even the best thing to do?  or is it a sign that the training is serving some other purpose - is somehow creating a sense of importance or identity? but thats another thread entirely)

AS gsmacleod mentioned (thanks GS) - base is the cumulative adaptations.  i think that you can get pretty far along your road of 'total possible number of adaptations - ie your road towards your actual potential' with a program that maximizes quality over quantity.  my hypothetical athlete could easily get to a point, sorting out 'logistics' during subsequently longer races - to perform 'pretty well' based on his genetic potential and have a damn good time. 

but honestly - whats the response this guys is going to get almost acrossed the board?  man - don't do it.  you can't do it.  do olympic instead.  maybe, just maybe, he'll get the - well its possible - but why would you want to do it if you don't do it right?  (sounds pretty familiar right - if you've followed all the replies it should....).  not sure what motivates this last response - this attempt (perhaps not conscious) to place ones personal values of IM on a larger audience - but hey, i guess it happens all the time in life in general.

so i'll ask about this middle road..... my purpose isn't to pull a stunt or prove a point.  i'm trying to change the dialogue this guy is going to find when he comes seeking advice from those already in the club.  maybe i'm asking too much?  but if i am its not because (imho) my ideas are absurd, but rather because there is some sort of resistance for other reasons.

disclaimer - i'm NOT NOT saying low volume is better or safer or for everyone.  i'm just saying it is a viable alternative to for a group of people that i think isn't really as small as some people seem to think it is.....

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Low Volume training part II (aka I'm not a Troll, i swear!) Rss Feed  

of 3