General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ford Ironman Arizona Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-12 12:33 AM

Prescott
Subject: Ford Ironman Arizona Triathlon
Whats up everyone!?!

I'm Brian, 21, and I'm a cadet in AFROTC at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, in Prescott, AZ. Today begins my 20-week triathlon training program for the Ford Ironman Arizona Triathlon, on 15 April 2007.

Its a long ways away but this is my first triathlon; first Ironman for that matter; and I want to be ready for it. A buddy and I are spending all summer to get in shape for the event, and we plan to keep tabs on each other to maintain our discipline. So as the weeks go by I'll be updating my workouts and checking up on his.

If you have any tips or information please inspire us!

Thanks,

Ski
Whooah Feet! Never Quit!

Edited by rutkoe00 2006-05-12 12:39 AM

2006-05-12 12:22 PM
in reply to: #421614

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman Arizona Triathlon
20-week program starting today? Uh, you're a little early.
2006-05-12 12:41 PM
in reply to: #422102

Prescott
Roger that! But I'll start and increase the program again in late November for an exact 20-week program up until race day!

This is my first Tri and I want to get in shape this first 20 weeks and then concentrate on technique and race specifics, nutrition and hydration the next 20 weeks.

Never to prepared!

Ski
Whooah Feet! Never Quit!

Edited by rutkoe00 2006-05-12 12:42 PM
2006-05-12 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Be careful not to peak in the first 20 weeks, or your body will be on a downswing when the more important training begins. That's the way endurance works. It sticks around for a few weeks, but then goes away whether you race with it or not.

If this is your first triathlon, you may want to spend the summer getting some short-distance experience instead of doing long-course training. It will strengthen your muscles so you don't get hurt as easily when you start the long stuff. 20 weeks is plenty of time to train for the ironman, so before November you don't need anything except a (moderate) base.

Edited by skavoovie 2006-05-12 1:38 PM
2006-05-12 9:12 PM

Prescott
Thanks! I did not know that... but I have to admit my trainings are not all that hard. My focus for this summer is to get lean, lose some poundage and get ripped. I want to strengthen my core and just pretty much run, those are my week points.

My swimming is strong and the cycling I'm getting, I've just never been great at running.

Do you have a great plan for strengthening your core? I see your training is focused mainly to strength training the past couple of weeks. I plan to start a core strengthening workout after a loss of a "sense of accomplishment" after one of my workouts. I felt great after the workout but loss that feeling within an hour; like I could almost do the workout again and that it didn't help my body.

I appreciate the advise and info! Keep it coming!

Thanks,

Ski
Whooah Feet! Never Quit!
2006-05-12 9:50 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

go to www.endurancecore.com and buy the DVD.  I personally think it's great.

It would behoove you to simply ride and run slow and long and build up SLOWLY to 4-6 hour rides over the next 5 months and 1-2 hour runs (at least a 1-1.5 hour run each week through a 4-week build/rest cycle) and finally building or since you're a strong swimmer, sustain 7,000 to 10,000 yards per week...

you'll be in an excellent position to being your 20-week trng and once you get into your peak phase of the 20-weeks your body will benefit and react much better to it than if you didn't have this base of endurance going into it.

Remember, endurance (I mean REAL endurance...IM endurance) takes years to build.  It's not like an Oly distance tri where you can build a base pretty quickly and peak all within a matter of several months.

changing your body's fuel useage ratio (i.e. building endurance) is a VERY slow process.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ford Ironman Arizona Triathlon Rss Feed