General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi, I have calf cramps Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-11 2:41 PM

Subject: Hi, I have calf cramps

Hi Everyone,

Last year my husband completed a sprint triathlon, so this year I decided that I can, too. After all, the only limits I have are the ones I put on myself.

I've been swimming, biking, and running for about 6 weeks nowSmile. I've discovered a comfortable swimming pace, but when I start to do a sprint, my calf starts to crampCry. I'm sure it could be numerous things, like the fact that I wear heals to work M-Th and on Friday I wear flats with no support. Or, the day before I was doing some strength training on my calves, however, I had not the first time I experienced the cramping. I have not experienced the cramping while running or biking, or when I do a brick with running and biking. So, any ideas to help prevent this? It's painful Yell and I'd like to avoid it.

Thanks! Kiss

2012-02-12 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4042197

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: Hi, I have calf cramps

I get cramps in the arches of my feet first and then will move up to my calfs.  I have found that there are a number of things that contribute to arch and calf cramps. 

1.   Dehydration is a big factor.  When I am swimming long, I have to make sure I drink plenty of water.

2.   Relax your ankles when you kick.  Tight ankles can cause calf cramps.  I sometimes use a pull buoy.

3.   Pushing off the wall too hard.  When I feel the cramps coming, I barely push off the wall. 

4.   Low salt or potassium can be another reason.  Taking a salt tablet or eating a banana can help 

If a cramp sets in, I hold on to the edge of the point, point my toes upward as high as I can and hold for 20 seconds. 

I still get cramps in my arches but the calf cramps are rare now.  Everyone is different though.  I also wear compression calf supports when I run.  2XU makes a great compression sleeve. 

2012-02-15 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4042197

User image

Elite

I cramp in the swim if I've run hard or run hills the day before.  got a massive cramp last night in the OWS squad - scary.  It was also a hot day and I'd not drunk enough water and no sports drink either.

I've found a banana does help. 

When I was pregnant I suffered terribly with calf cramps and a midwife told me to drink a glass of milk before bed - I now (when I remember) try and have a glass before swimming or a milk based protein drink.

also concentrate on telling your ankles to relax - it works!

2012-02-15 7:01 PM
in reply to: #4049715

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
I'm a salty sweater and cramping happens.
x2 on the banana.  Have you tried drinking an electrolyte replacement beverage like Nuun during your swim workouts.  No calories in this beverage just sodium and magnesium. 

But you have to remember to drink before and during your swim workouts.  If you leave the bottle unattended on the deck, it does no good.

If I'm motivated and train hard during my swim workouts, I will cramp.  But I don't usually swim at sprinter pace during OWS and have not cramped during the swim, knock on wood.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi, I have calf cramps Rss Feed