General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » FIrst tri is next month - training for first marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-12 8:51 PM

User image

Subject: FIrst tri is next month - training for first marathon
I am now training for my first sprint triathlon in June. I am pretty comfortable with running and biking (although not fast at either), but the swimming part has me really nervous. Its only 500 yards, and I have done it before. But it is different on race day when there are people in front and behind you. I am trying to get in as much pool time as I can, but I work full-time and go to school part-time. I already have to schedule all of my runs before work and save biking for the weekend. Hopefully, they will open up the new pool in town and I will be able to sneak in a few extra days.
I am also considering a marathon in November. I have never run that far before, but I think that I can do it. I wish that my husband could run with me, but he gets shin splints really bad (If anyone out there has some advice for that, I am sure he would appreciate it...). I have bad knees-old volleyball injuries-but I think all athletes have a "bad" something.

2006-05-12 9:37 PM
in reply to: #422639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eagleville,
Subject: RE: FIrst tri is next month - training for first marathon

Welcome to BT.  I understand your trepidation with the swim.  Most of us here do not come from a swimming background.  It is still my weakest leg of a triathlon as well.  It is not easy adding a healthy lifestyle to a busy life.  I too have a full time job, a 14 year old daughter that lives with me, as well as other things that take up my time, making it difficult to put the time into training.  However you will find the time, if it is something you truly want for yourself.

Just keep working at it, and you will find that you can do anything you set your mind to do.  There are many sources of information and help here, use them to your best advantage.  Good luck with your goals.

2006-05-13 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Welcome and Good Luck in your triaining
2006-05-14 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

Just make sure you stay on the outside during the swim.  Get in the water last out of your wave after all the others have started.  You will avoid the washing machine.  This will make it a lot easier and you have to watch out for less people.

2006-05-14 9:23 AM
in reply to: #423241

User image

I am a chemist too! Good to see that a fellow nerd can find time outside of the lab to do something active! Thanks for the advice!
2006-05-14 10:48 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
I have big problums with shin splints also and have two sugestions for him first see a sports trainer that is good with feet and make sure the shoes are the right type IE support cushining ect. with that said take milage increases slowly I have worked my way from 0 to 13 miles before by slowly incresing distence each time I run such as run .25 walk .25 next run run .5 walk .25 ect ect when he can run 3 or more miles with out walking just add a half mile or less each day until he has built a base and take a every other day off of running when I do this I avoid shin splints when I push more I get them. Good luck

2006-05-14 6:30 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Welcome & good luck. My first outdoor tri is in July so I know what kind of nerves you are feeling...lots of questions & uncertainty...but I think we'll all be fine!
2006-05-16 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Utah
Good luck with your June Tri! Also Congrats for signing up for the November Marathon, that is a great accomplishment. Once you finish your Tri set your self up on a running regiment where you slowly increase your distance, include your taper weeks so that you don't end up peaking to soon. I would suggest that you sign up for some other races prior to November, find a good 5K, then move up to a 10K, and then about a month before your marathon do a 1/2 and you will be more prepared for race day when it comes. Good Luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » FIrst tri is next month - training for first marathon Rss Feed