General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Questions for newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-13 1:49 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Race Questions for newbie
I have been running for a few years and know how to pace myself on various distance races, but really don't know how to pace myself for a tri. I am signed up for a reverse tri on June 4th, run 5k, bike 15k, swim 1/4 mile. Just getting into the tri and not real quick on bike or swim - doing about 17 mph avg on bike for 10 mile ride with stops for intersections as needed, swim time around 8:16 for 100 yds. Running have PR of 20:26 for 5k, but lately haven't been doing short races, did marathon in Feb. 3:56 with 14 minutes lost due to knee pain. Also had question on setting up bike in transition area - can you put a water bottle on the bike ahead of race or is this not allowed?

2006-05-13 2:59 PM
in reply to: #422897

User image

Pro
Reston
Subject: RE: Race Questions for newbie

yes. 

what was the other question?

2006-05-13 3:09 PM
in reply to: #422897

User image

Expert
Iowa
It seems to me you are in good shape. You're a heck of a runner, and 17 mph for 10 miles on a bike is very respectable, especially for someone new to the sport. I'm puzzled by your swim time though. Is that correct, over 8 minutes for 100 yards? Ordinarily I would say if you're in good shape and have a decent base in all 3 sports, don't hold back in a sprint. Your pace can be all out because the pain is over in an hour, maybe an hour and a half at most. But if your swim time is correct, then definitely save some energy for that last leg - the swim is the last place you want to run into trouble. If it's a typo, then just go for it. And yes, you can put as many water bottles as you want on your bike ahead of the race.
2006-05-13 3:35 PM
in reply to: #422928

Elite
Laurium, MI

You sure that wasn't for 400 yrds?  That would be the 1/4 of your race and match the distance convention you listed the other 2 sports in.

Anyway, your times are very close to mine.  My 5k PR was a 20:45, my swim time for the 500 is around 12', or 2:30 /100 and my bike is a little faster at 22mph over a 20k TT.

Anyway, you will be fine to finish and should do rather well.  You can read all the advice about pacing that you want, but it won't mean a dang thing on race day.  The only way to know how to pace yourself, is to run the race and see how you feel.  When I did my race, I tried to pace.  I paced well through the swim, and hammered on the bike, knowing I was pushing it a little, but really no harder then my hardest brick.  In the end, the run sucked more then usual, as I never did the swim before the bike and didn't do either in race conditions.  So chances are you will not run this race perfectly.  You will either push too hard or not hard enough and you will know exactly which you did when you cross the line.  Take note of that and adjust your training/pacing plan for the next race.

you should also have an advantage with your marathon training.  Even in the sprint form, tris are very demanding of endurance systems.   While a sprint running race may last 20 min, a sprint tri lasts at least 30 min, usually up to an hour, depending on length.  That's a long time to be going all out, so having the higher endurance and the better developed core muscles that are used to that kind of abuse will help out tremendously.

Good luck and let us know how you do

2006-05-13 4:16 PM
in reply to: #422928

User image

New user

yeah, I guess I typed that wrong, the time swimming was for 400 yds. Thanks for the input.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Questions for newbie Rss Feed