The Austin Marathon Foundation, Inc.
46F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 54m 7s
Overall Rank = 966/3878
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 148/417
Pre-race routine:

Good but short night's rest. Plenty of instant oatmeal and some yogurt. A pre-race GU as well. Hit the starting line and wandered around a bit before getting a spot in line and letting the gun go off for what was to be a very unexpected day for me.
Event warmup:

Lots of stretching, but no aerobic workout aside from walking around the capital grounds.
Run
  • 3h 54m 7s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Crazy unexpected day for me. I felt undertrained and underrested for this affair. Had no idea how I would click off 26.2, considering I had been to 20 miles only once in training and never above 16 on any other occasion.

Let the crowd sort itself out for 2 miles, then started taking my splits seriously: They seemed too fast at 8:40 or so, for a goal of a 4 hour finish. I backed it down, but kept hitting the same 8:40-8:55 range and it felt right. More importantly, it felt sustainable. My thoughts turned to a 3:55 time.

Kept clicking off the 8:40-8:55 miles as we continued to climb to the high point of the course. As soon as we made the turn south, I could feel it underfoot, that the terrain was now my friend and all that climbing I had done over all those false flats was going to pay off. I opened it up over the last 7 miles, allowing myself to walk a few aid stations and up one troublesome hill in Mile 23. As I descended Duval and through the UT campus, I shortened my stride and let the hill do the work.

One small pain on the bottoms of my feet, but nothing else except a passing tightness at the back of my right leg in Mile 16. Everything felt good; nothing was bleeding, it was all systems go.

Toughed out the San Jacinto climb a second time and really felt the crowd energy rounding the capitol and heading into the finishing barricades, knowing this ordeal was over and I had not just survived, but thrived: PR by almost 5 minutes over a much more challenging course than Grand Rapids.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. This may have been my best race ever.
Post race
Warm down:

Plenty of walking

Last updated: 2012-02-20 12:00 AM
Running
03:54:07 | 26.2 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 148/417
Overall: 966/3878
Performance: Good
Course: Challenging, but fair. Plenty of rolling hills with a few stretches that are particularly tough. Fairly wide-open, and if I had a complaint about course width it was that everyone (half and full marathon runners) had to reduce to a single lane at Mile 10
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes