General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My triathlon costs for the past year and a half Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-02-26 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4065213

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: RE: My triathlon costs for the past year and a half

the bear - 2012-02-24 4:44 PM Anyone price coronary bypass surgery lately?

It would be cool if we could deduct some of the costs associated with being in top shape (triathlon).  As mentioned, one bypass surgery would dwarf a lifetime of triathlon costs....

Annual check-ins to verify a person's fitness level (and therefore the deduction) could be added to the already required process many insurance companies have (Health risk appraisel, health qualification forms etc).   So if someone took advantage of a deduction one year, they couldn't continue year after year if they stopped training...

Amortization schedule for bike deduction, meaning must maintain fitness over a four to five year span with deductions pro-rated each year...Races and associated fees could be deducted for the year incurred at a pre-determined ratio....

Ah to dream...

2012-02-26 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4066804

User image

Master
University Park, MD
TriMike - 2012-02-26 9:58 AM

It would be cool if we could deduct some of the costs associated with being in top shape (triathlon).  As mentioned, one bypass surgery would dwarf a lifetime of triathlon costs....

Annual check-ins to verify a person's fitness level (and therefore the deduction) could be added to the already required process many insurance companies have (Health risk appraisel, health qualification forms etc).   So if someone took advantage of a deduction one year, they couldn't continue year after year if they stopped training...

Amortization schedule for bike deduction, meaning must maintain fitness over a four to five year span with deductions pro-rated each year...Races and associated fees could be deducted for the year incurred at a pre-determined ratio....

I'd suspect that the push-back against fitness-related pricing would come not from the insurance industry but from the public. And perhaps with good reason. Just as the insurance companies would be happy to charge you more if you're out of shape, I'm sure they'd love to charge you a huge amount more if you happen to have a child who is born with a genetic issue that calls for very expensive care. And they'd also be happy to charge you more if your parents had heart disease, regardless of how fit you yourself are. *Some* people would be happy with a system that gives them credit for doing things that they have control over. Few people would welcome a system that penalizes them for things that they have little control over.

2012-02-26 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4066841

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
colinphillips - 2012-02-26 10:36 AM

I'd suspect that the push-back against fitness-related pricing would come not from the insurance industry but from the public. And perhaps with good reason. Just as the insurance companies would be happy to charge you more if you're out of shape, I'm sure they'd love to charge you a huge amount more if you happen to have a child who is born with a genetic issue that calls for very expensive care. And they'd also be happy to charge you more if your parents had heart disease, regardless of how fit you yourself are. *Some* people would be happy with a system that gives them credit for doing things that they have control over. Few people would welcome a system that penalizes them for things that they have little control over.

I think you missed my point.  I'm suggesting incentives in the form of tax deductions, not punitive health pricing from the insurance industry.

And besides, punitive pricing is already in place for tobacco use and IMO should be considered for obesity.  I.E., if statistically you'll cost the "system" as a result of your health choices, you should pay more.

However, to be clear, my idea was a way to deduct costs associated with triathlon since the very obvious by-product of triathlon is improved health, incentive vs. punitive...

2012-02-26 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4065061

User image

I've purchased 4 new road bikes in the past 6 months, complete with helmets, pedals and shoes for three of them, 3 trainers (about to purchase the 4th within the next month), clothes, a bike coach for myself, a swim coach for my husband and I and 4 wetsuits! I've also paid for bike fittings for 2 of us, Spinervals videos, Sufferfest videos and a TrainerRoad subscription. Oh, and then there's the 4 bike computers and tire repair kits for the bikes...I could go on, but it really doesn't matter since we're all having a blast and the look on my children's faces when they finish an event is beyond monetary value!
2012-02-26 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4066883

User image

Master
University Park, MD
TriMike - 2012-02-26 11:18 AM I think you missed my point.  I'm suggesting incentives in the form of tax deductions, not punitive health pricing from the insurance industry.

And besides, punitive pricing is already in place for tobacco use and IMO should be considered for obesity.  I.E., if statistically you'll cost the "system" as a result of your health choices, you should pay more.

However, to be clear, my idea was a way to deduct costs associated with triathlon since the very obvious by-product of triathlon is improved health, incentive vs. punitive...

You're right. I overlooked that you were talking about tax credits rather than insurance costs. My bad. But I stand by the remark that people want to be rewarded for their upsides, but don't want to have to pay for their downsides, whether in taxation or in insurance costs. For example, if tax policy simultaneously rewarded bike commuting while penalizing car commuting, to balance the cost, how well received would that be? It's clearly good policy, but I don't see it flying.

The UK actually has a scheme not so different than that. There are significant benefits associated with buying a bike for commuting (up to £1000). The system seems complicated. It is claimed to be working, but I'm not sure how credible the evidence is for that. 

2012-02-26 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4066910

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
colinphillips - 2012-02-26 11:45 AM
TriMike - 2012-02-26 11:18 AM I think you missed my point.  I'm suggesting incentives in the form of tax deductions, not punitive health pricing from the insurance industry.

You're right. I overlooked that you were talking about tax credits rather than insurance costs. My bad. But I stand by the remark that people want to be rewarded for their upsides, but don't want to have to pay for their downsides, whether in taxation or in insurance costs. For example, if tax policy simultaneously rewarded bike commuting while penalizing car commuting, to balance the cost, how well received would that be? It's clearly good policy, but I don't see it flying.

The UK actually has a scheme not so different than that. There are significant benefits associated with buying a bike for commuting (up to £1000). The system seems complicated. It is claimed to be working, but I'm not sure how credible the evidence is for that. 

I'm not saying that in order for one group to benefit (triathletes deducting costs) those that don't share that lifestyle choice get hit with the bill.  For example someone may choose to live a healthy lifestyle yet they don't spend the same amount of $$$ as a triathlete, that doesn't mean they should be making up the difference..

The incentive precedent is already in place with energy efficient appliances.  Those that run out and replace all their appliances aren't given a deduction on the backs of those who don't...The encouragement to those that don't is lower energy bills should they choose to buy energy efficient..

I realize my suggestion has points that could be argued however if our nation wants to get serious about it's obesity problem, finding ways to bring people into a healthy lifestyle AND reward those who already enjoy the fruits of the sport (good health) IMO would be a great idea...

Edited by TriMike 2012-02-26 3:01 PM

2012-02-27 8:01 PM

User image

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA

Noone listed the price of their IM Tat.

My company actually offers a discount on what we pay for our health insurance if we meet certain physical work up numbers, like BMI, Cholesterol, Blood Pressure, Glucose. And it's a decent discount, certainly will pay for several race fees.

2012-02-27 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4066883

TriMike - 2012-02-26 11:18 AM
colinphillips - 2012-02-26 10:36 AM

I think you missed my point.  I'm suggesting incentives in the form of tax deductions, not punitive health pricing from the insurance industry.

Isn't that counter productive.  If you die at a younger age you collect less in Social Security.

2012-02-27 11:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
$2000 max last year for me. I lived in Utah so travel expenses were very minimal and events were abundant.
2012-02-28 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4065164

User image

Veteran
Clemson
RRH_88 - 2012-02-24 4:21 PM

indianacyclist - 2012-02-24 4:16 PM I'm scared to add mine up. Ignorance is bliss. haha

X2... That's my take on it Too

x2 for me also, don't forget being able to keep up with our kids and grandkids much longer than the rest of the population, and the loads of money we'll save by not developing type II diabetes, slipped disks, etc. from being old and overweight
2012-02-28 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Leicester
My wife used to complain about the costs...
She weighed 180+ and had a poor body self image.

I bought a Craigslist treadmill winter 2010/11 to train for Rev3 Costa Rica and after a while she decided to give it a try, we already have a family membership at lifetime fitness, but only me any my boy ever go.

She's now 30lbs lighter, a spring in her step, 2 x 5k's under her belt and no longer bat's an eyelid at anything less than exuberant fitness related purchases.
The way it should be

2012-02-28 10:14 PM

User image

Regular
Trust me its cheaper than golf..
2012-02-28 10:49 PM
in reply to: #4065944

User image

Chatham Ontario
marvintpa - 2012-02-25 10:20 AM

Compared to other hobbies which don't have nearly as beneficial health side effects (which are priceless) tri's are dirt cheap, even in the high four figures. I don't regret a penny I've spent on tri gear so see no need to add it up. Made that mistake with scuba gear years ago, stopped doing the math when it reached six digits.

Triathlons only get really expensive when they lead to divorce

^^^^

This

But then again Diving almost led to my divorce. I am still not sure I made the right choice Maybe I should have kept diving hardcore for another year or two.

Other Sports like diving make me kind of chuckle when everyone says how expensive triathlon is.

REV3 Half Iron $200 Entry fee this year Room for 3 nights $278 Spending money $100.

Major Triathlon weekend $578 I could barely get a cheep weekend of diving in for that...

Then some people have to go and have all that expensive underwater camera gear

Oh and I agree with some others I am 70lbs lighter night... shhh ok 65 seeing I still haven't kicked offseason weight.  And my wife now joins me for some runs and other things and she has lost 35lbs and we both get along more now. Long bike ride days are just rough ones to manage with the wife.

Edited by Techdiver 2012-02-28 10:52 PM
2012-02-29 8:31 AM

Expert
Haven't added it all up but i know it's bad.  I am $1,500 deep in race fees alone for 2012.  When i think about what I could be spending it on, however, it makes me feel just fine about it.
2012-02-29 9:13 AM

User image

Elite
my triathlon hobby is MUCH cheaper than my horseback riding hobby. Although I haven't given up either Surprised  Just live like a pauper with a roommate, cheap car, and no vacations.  I've tried to give up either, and I'm just a whiny person.  better to be broke and happy. Wink
2012-02-29 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4072470

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

2011 Was expensive. The big hitter was the family cross-continent road trip to race IMC. 

$1200 in race fees

$1500 in gas to get to races 

$3000 in hotel stays 

$1500 in random gear (helmets, stems, pumps, shoes, gels, etc.)

$500 in random services (bike tuning, massage, etc.)

TOTAL: ~$7,700 

2012-02-29 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
We spent over 10k just to get from Okinawa to Australia for IMOZ. ( six of us ). I stopped the review after that. It's good to be back in the U.S. where we can fly much easier or drive.
2012-02-29 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4065213

User image

Pro
Burbs

Yeah, but insurance probably covers that --- I have yet to convince them to cover my race fees Tongue out
2012-02-29 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I did some quick math in my head and stopped. Better not knowing the exact numbers. Still way cheaper than my reining horse ever was. And I'm 85 pounds lighter and feel so much better.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My triathlon costs for the past year and a half Rss Feed  

of 2