General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing hats/shirts of races you didn't do..... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

Wearing hats/shirts of races you didn't do.....
OptionResults
meh. wear whatever you want58 Votes - [59.79%]
if you didn't do the race, don't wear the shirt38 Votes - [39.18%]
if you have done the distance, go ahead and wear the shirt1 Votes - [1.03%]

2012-03-02 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4077773

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
Subject: RE: Wearing hats/shirts of races you didn't do.....

For the most part I only wear it if I've done it, but I've only done 4 so it's not like a have a huge staple of shirts. I have one shirt from a race that I didn't do because it's the tourist-version and my girlfriend bought it for me. Otherwise I mostly stick to plain shirts, except for my "nuke and pave" and "pave the planet" shirts. Should I not wear them since I've not done either? 

As for what anyone else does, I don't much care. If I ask someone about a race on a shirt they're wearing and they didn't do the race, I'm ok with that. 

2012-03-02 9:35 PM

User image

Elite
ChrisM - 2012-03-02 3:30 PM

What the heck, it's Friday and the OP is apparently keeping the lid on that flip turn thread.....   When I started I would have voted for #2, if you didn't do the race, don't wear the shirt. 

Then, after a friend started giving me tech shirts or hats from destination races he went to, I moved to #3, and figured I could wear a HIM shirt/hat, or even (gasp) an IM shirt (I have one of those from New Zealand) since I've done those distances.

Now I am really more of a #1 guy.  Wear whatever the heck you want

However, I still wouldn't wear a shirt for a race I was registered for until after I completed it.  Unless, of course, I DNS or DNF.  then I'd wear it.   I know, makes no sense

You?

I have an IM vest from New Zealand 2011 and an Hawaiian drink bottle.  I am always quick to point out I didn't do either but that my dream is to do so.  NZ - I went over to support two friends and she bought me the running vest.  Same friend went to Hawaii to support her friend and bought me back the drink bottle - it is my prized posession.  IM paraphernalia is a great conversation starter - people read the top (or they're looking at my chest!) and say - really?  People do that distance?  And away we go.

wear it with pride and be honest.

2012-03-02 10:09 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
I have a few hand-me-down technical t-shirt from races I haven't done, and I'll wear them on my runs.  I figure that people driving past me are probably going too fast to read what's on my shirt, anyways.  with that said, I don't have any marathon, HIM or IM hand-me-downs t's.  And finally, I see people wearing race shirts all the time at the gym and when I'm out running, and I really don't take the time to even notice what's on their shirt.    
2012-03-03 7:52 AM

User image

Melon Presser

I will wear free anything.

What, you think money grows on trees? Get off my lawn!

2012-03-03 8:04 AM

User image

Its kind of funny this comes up. I was in a thrift store last week and saw a rack with about 100 matching blue technical tee shirts that were brand new and in every size. Aparently they were left over from one of the local half marathons. I had run the event before, but not the particular year of the shirt. I gave only a slight pause... before I bought like 6 of 'em for a dollar a piece. They make great training shirts, and just bumming around the house shirts.

i also saw a great condition "Tour de Cure" long sleeve bike Jersey in my size for only 3 bucks. It was a bit more tough of a call for that one since i wouldn't have raised the money myself for the entry (I believe thats how those rides work). I passed on that one though, I just wouldn't have been able to wear that one in good conscience.

I guess my point is that I would take this question on a case by case basis, and that its not so much about what someone else might think or ask, but about what I think of it.

2012-03-03 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

I've only done four races and of the four, only two gave away shirts. The first is an oversized "one size fits all" cotton t-shirt. I never wear it, as it is too big for me, but I've kept it as a souvenir. The second was a technical neon green long sleeved shirt in size small but obviously a men's small. It's also too big for me, and neon green isn't my colour. I've kept it with the intention of layering it over other clothes for evening runs/rides, but I've actually never worn it. I keep it as a souvenir.

When I have seen other people with the same shirt, I've asked them about the race, probably because I'm still a n00b and excited I completed such a thing as running a race. When I hear that they haven't done the race, I'm actually a little disappointed. I guess I do care that other people wear shirts from events they didn't do, but I'm getting over it. Promoting sports and races is a good thing.

I have caps and shirts from races that I volunteered for. People have stopped to ask me about the event, to which I reply, "I was a volunteer!" and they always thank me with a smile. I'm always so proud to have helped out with a race. Having seen the course and heard people's feedback (I'm a massage therapist, so everyone who gets on the table likes to talk about the course) I'm able to tell people about the race and I encourage them to either sign up, or volunteer.

So I guess the shirts are purposeful not only in clothing you and serving as a souvenir and proud reminder that you trained and tried your best, but also to promote the event and inspire others to get off the couch. That said, wear what you want!

2012-03-03 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Almost all of the shirts I have are from races I have done, but there are a few races I was unable to do because of an injury.  Those shirts (which I will usually pick up anyway since I paid) I will still wear.  I've done so many races of all distances, and have so many shirts, I don't feel like I'm "posing" when I wear one from a race I didn't do.  And chances are I did do that same race in a prior year anyway.

I would however not wear a half iron or full iron shirt if I didn't do that race.  I think you have to "earn" that one.

2012-03-03 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
If you registered and DNS, and didn't bother to show up to the race to cheer the others on - don't wear the shirt. Otherwise if you DNF or someone gives you a the gear/you buy old gear go ahead and wear it. I wear my sister's technical shirts from races I didn't do. Just don't be that person who registered and got too lazy to train but still feels entitled to the shirt, I don't like those people.

Edited by SmBkRn450 2012-03-03 12:50 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing hats/shirts of races you didn't do..... Rss Feed  

of 3