General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New member looking for some advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-06 7:41 PM

Subject: New member looking for some advice

Hello, just wanted to introduce myself and possibly get some advice. My name is Pete and I lead a pretty active lifestyle which includes mostly biking, some running/swimming and weight lifting. I compete a few century bike rides a year, can comfortably run for ~30 minutes and can swim ~200 yards comfortably. I set a goal for myself to complete a half Ironman at the age of 29 and a full Ironman at the age of 30. Well my 29th birthday just passed and I registered for Ironman 70.3 on September 30th, 2012. I would like to do one or two sprint tris and maybe an Olympic tri before the main event. Is that wise? I have never done a triathlon before and would like to use the sprint tri as an opportunity to get a feel for what to expect. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. I am planning to use the 1/2 Ironman training program but am not sure if it will prep me for the sprint distances.

Thank you,

Pete

Edited by pk37 2012-03-06 7:45 PM

2012-03-06 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4083906

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: New member looking for some advice

Welcome to the club Pete! I had a similar goal of going a half by the time I was 30.  I just turned 30 in december so am looking to sign up for one this year.  Which one are you going to do?

2012-03-06 8:11 PM

I'm signed up for the Pocono Mountain Ironman 70.3 in PA.
2012-03-06 8:36 PM

User image

Pete-

Welcome!  Last year was my first season of triathlon.  I started with two super sprints then trained for and finished a half ironman.  I had a good base of fitness going in to training and started by just winging it (rides with friends, runs etc), but I did get a swim lesson to help get going in the pool.

If you can swing it, I would recommend a coach as you prepare for the HIM since that level of training is hard to manage without some guidance.  I never used a coach training for marathons but since triathlon is some much more involved, I really appreciated someone setting up my workouts and answering my questions.

I'm sure you'll get great answers to any questions here as well... just be careful b/c once you get going, you'll be hooked and won't be able to stop!

Jason

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New member looking for some advice Rss Feed