General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arc Trainer vs Running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-08 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Arc Trainer vs Running
I tested out the Arc Trainer at the YMCA. I was very impressed. Its very similar to running(maybe 75%).  But I feel like I get a better workout than running.   My heart rate gets higher without the pounding.  So wouldn't it make sense to do 50% running and 50% Arc trainer.  I can get a better workout and less need for recovery, etc.  Thoughts?

2012-03-08 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4086296

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Arc Trainer vs Running
Part of running is the stress that comes from the impact. Take that away, the body never adapts to it, and you run the risk of issues (not necessarily injuries, but definitely some level of pain come race day). Also, I think it's going to degrade your overall development in terms of running form/style. Too mechanical, too forced, and I would be concerned that it's not really a good substitute for what happens when you're actually running.

Additionally, if your heart rate is higher, you're working harder. That doesn't necessarily mean a "better" workout, it just means a harder workout.
2012-03-08 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada

You Could but there really is no substitute for actually running. There are no real shortcuts, At some point if you are doing a half or a marathon you are going to have to  build up to and practice that distance on the actual road. so my take is you are further ahead to actualy run, but the ark is a really good sub for any TM running indoors that you might be doing, So what did you think of the Quad Killer LOL its an evil machine in my book.

So if you are just running for  pure fitness period then the ark is a good option it certainly is a harder workout then a straight TM run, but if you want to do actual races, get out there and run the distances you are thinking of doing, its the only real way to condition your body to the forces that an actuall race will subject it to.

Edited by RRH_88 2012-03-08 8:58 AM
2012-03-08 11:48 AM

Master
Northern IL
It might be fine for general fitness, but I wouldn't take away from the regular workouts for it. You need the actual running motion to get the most gains.
2012-03-08 12:00 PM

User image

I'm using the arc trainer as I recover from surgery. I use the arc for 30-45 minutes before going to the treadmill to walk and try to run. I need to build the strength back in my legs and using the arc is a good way for me personally to do this with no impact.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arc Trainer vs Running Rss Feed