General Discussion Triathlon Talk » best abs exercise /core Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-16 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: best abs exercise /core
From everything in the past and present which are the best exercises..core with ball, old school crunches, weight balls, pulls ups on machine( dont' know what's it's called) . I'm always interested in tweaking it. I got the core book by mark vestagen, and the weight ball and the gym exercises. i kind of do some of everything . what' works for everybody else?

2006-05-18 10:02 AM
in reply to: #425950

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
Subject: RE: best abs exercise /core

I've been doing Core Performance workouts (Vestagen's book) for about two months now. IMHO, it's the best combination of dynamic stretching (movement prep), plyometrics, injury prevention (pre-hab) and strength training for the whole body, espeically the core. I'm definitely a Core performance disciple now.

2006-05-18 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
I'm interested in the Core Performance book, but I see that there is a new book out by the same guy called Core Performance Essentials.  Amazon says it is a more "streamlined" version of the first book, but I'm not exactly sure what that means.  Does anyone have experience with both and prefer one or the other?
2006-05-18 11:08 AM

User image

I just got Core Performance from the library and there are a LOT of exercises. Like.. hundreds. And there is not much in the way of structure.. you kind of have to make up your own workout by picking and choosing exercises. From what I've read about Core Performance Essentials, it is a pared down (more streamlined) version of this.. with set workouts etc. But I have no experience with the latter... just my postulations.
2006-05-18 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC

Thanks, A...

I went ahead and ordered Core Performance because I figured it would at least be a good reference for all the exercises.  I do like structured workouts, though, so if it seems a bit free-form for me, I will probably end up ordering the "streamlined" book. 

2006-05-18 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
The first Core Performance book does have structured workouts for months at a time. If you browse it at a bookstore, just look in the back. 

2006-05-18 5:06 PM
in reply to: #427654

User image

marina - 2006-05-18 2:15 PM

The first Core Performance book does have structured workouts for months at a time. If you browse it at a bookstore, just look in the back. 

It does.. but you need to constantly flip back to the exercise pages to find out what the exercises in the workouts actually are (ie., the workouts don't have pretty pictures). I found that to be a bit of a pain, personally. But then again, I'm lazy
2006-05-18 11:47 PM

User image

Veteran
my trainer told me today about a series of abs exercises called the " 7degrees to hell." very simple, 7 different basic abs exercises done 10 for each and repeat X 3. like crunches, crunches with arms extended straight up, arms going to side of opposite leg,( both sides) butterlfys , leg up ankle on oppistie, crunches and one more i'm forgetting. it' a major endurance athlete routine and she's got tights six abs so i'm doing them everyday from now on and we'll see. i got a massage and he told that i have a strong back but my abs need work to relieve some of the back pain. so here goes. i also started losing weight and it's important to tighten things there.
2006-05-22 2:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My sister found this thing somewhere on the internet and sent it to me - it's called 8 minute abs. Its a continuous set of different crunches for 45 seconds each, until the 8 minutes is up. It's pretty good - not a ton of results yet, but I like that it works everything and is so short Just my 2 cents!

Megz
2006-05-27 2:59 PM

There is a something called the "Abs Diet" which was developed by the editor of Mens Health magizine. It says that your core is divided into five sections :Upper, lower, obliques, transverse abdominus and lower back. Here are some examples of exercises...

Upper:raised leg crunches (just like the original, but keep your feet 6 inches off the ground)

Lower: leg raises (lay down on your back and put your feet 6 inches off the ground. Now push your pelvis into the ground and alternate each leg bending at the the knee into your chest than back down to 6 inches above the ground

Obliques: lay down in (hard to explain) sideways sit up position and lift your legs up, hold, down

Transverse Abdominus: The bridge (basically you are in the pushup position but on your elbows not your hands (hold position for one minute)

Lower Back: Back Extensions (you can use a yoga ball for this) basically you go from a curled position and extend your back so that you are straight then relax.

The main thing to remember is that when doing these exercises, it is important to go slowly. When I do them, I say to myself "slow and controlled" as I crunch (or whatever).

Hope this helps
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » best abs exercise /core Rss Feed