General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Limitations of Aero for the Large Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-11 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: Limitations of Aero for the Large

So, another aero thread.

I am not worried about being fast or competitive, so I have put no effort into getting aero. I asked about this before, since it's even effort for me to get my hands on the hoods, let alone the drops on my road bike. It seems pointless to consider clip on aero bars at this point.

On the other hand, I've dropped over 20 pounds since mid-January, and it has been steady. But even so, I don't see myself under 225-230 by June. That's still significantly lighter than the 280 I carried for the whole 2011 season.

I'm curious about any of you who have lost significant weight while training, and started out in a very upright position on the bike and were able to move to an aero position. At what weight or bodyfat percentage were you able to do so?

I'm honestly in no hurry to get into the position, but other possibilities are opening up that I hadn't been able to imagine, so a guy can dream, right?

2012-03-11 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4090823

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Limitations of Aero for the Large

Solid work on the weight loss!!! There really isn't a specific wieght or body fat percentage that makes getting aero easier or more doable. While the lighter, leaner athletes can more easily get into that position it has a lot to do with flexiblity and bike fit. I'm 230lbs and have a road bike with clip-ons. When I'm down in my "aero" position it isn't pretty and probably not anywhere close to perfect, but it's much less drag then my big body upright on the saddle. You'll get to where your comfortable trying to get into an aero position and that'll be the right time for you.

2012-03-11 2:11 PM

User image

Melon Presser

At 5' 3" and a shade, I was around 200lbs when I first started triathloning. May have been as low as 190ish or somewhat over 200, but thereabouts.

I didn't have drop bars. I had a bike 6cm too large outfitted with cruiser bars and I was in a nearly fully upright position.

I'd already lost a fair bit of weight here but as you can see, still pretty big.

I got my first tri bike when I was probably 160-170, and aero was fine. I will say that I still needed to be a bit angled up, and that I did waste some energy banging the tops of my thighs into my boobs and spare tire. But just the sheer reduction of drag made a big difference to speed.

This is where I'm at now (need a better picture but you get the idea). Classic, lots of 90-degree looking angles aero position (my leg isn't actually fully extended though it looks that way). I don't know what I weigh exactly but I'm guessing 140-145. That's still pretty chunky for as short as I am, but the belly is pretty flat, the boobs are smaller, and they squish down nicely with a good sports bra.

After a 6-hour ride in that position ...

I wouldn't say it's pointless to do clip-ons for you at all. Even a 30-degree further forward position makes a big difference in drag to essentially upright.

I will say, especially for heavier riders, get SHORTY aerobars (or the ones that are connected at the end, like a loop) and get a decent bike fit with them. Full-length clip-ons redistribute your weight on a road bike in ways it is not designed for, and compromises handling and safety.

2012-03-11 3:27 PM

User image

Yanti, I don't quite have the guts to post the pictures of myself at 200ish. I don't think I ever will. But you and your progress are definitely to be looked up to. Thanks for being such a great resource. To the OP - sorry for the threadjack. I've been fit and refit several times as my shape has changed, and I've been able to get more aggressive in my riding position.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Limitations of Aero for the Large Rss Feed