General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I drank the Kool Aid (switched to shorter cranks) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-03-25 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4093375

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: I drank the Kool Aid (switched to shorter cranks)

So Arkman, you couldn't feel the hips more open? Or maybe the hips weren't more open once you raised your seat?

Thanks

2012-03-25 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4112639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

I can definitely feel the hip angle more open due to me raising the seat.  The run after the bike felt much "easier."

Bonafide505 - 2012-03-25 9:42 PM

So Arkman, you couldn't feel the hips more open? Or maybe the hips weren't more open once you raised your seat?

Thanks

2012-03-26 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4112612

Master
Northern IL
Gear ratio is the same as before the switch because the chainrings and cassette are the same. Gain ratio is what has changed because that includes crank length as well. This might help a little: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gain.html
2012-03-30 8:55 PM

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
OK, While not as drastic as arkman's change I went from 175 to 165 and LOVE IT. So much more comfortable and easier to breathe. Went faster, produced more power and felt fantastic afterwards. I am not sure I'll go any shorter as my set-up is now very comfy and feels fast,  but I wont rule it out either.
2012-04-02 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4121762

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

So I did Oceanside this weekend and I could honestly say that the shorter cranks did set me up well for the run. 

My bike split sucked at 3:24:xx....  Yes it was super slow.  The reason for that is that my left cranks freaking came off!!!!!!!!  Yes it was loose and I should have checked/tightened it before the race.  Good thing I was able to find the bolt on the road!  So what I did was I walked half a mile jto see if I can see a SAG vehicle.  I stopped walking when I was at the foot of the first hill at mile 30.  That's when I decided to walk back and just wait for the SAG vehicle.  SAG vehicle came and affixed my cranks with their BIG hex key and off I went.  It was hammer fest for the next 26 miles.  I felt so good on the bike although I think an 11-28 would have helped 'coz I was on the small ring at the easiest gears on the 2 big hills.  I was shouting "I need more gears!!!" on the uphills.  Although that's the case, I was still passing people left and right.  3 people passed me on the bike and that was it. 

Now the run is the interesting part.  I had a clear cut pacing plan on the bike and run but when the mechanical problem happened, I turned off my watch and all the pacing plans went out the wall.  I turned it back on on the run and boy did I feel good.  I did the first 6 miles in 6:20-6:30 miles!  I never had a mile slower than 7 minutes!!!  I ended up with a 1:30 half mary.  I think without the mechanical problems and a flat course for my A race in August, I should be able to break through the 5 hour barrier.  But then again there's the dreaded humidity...

Did the shorter cranks help on the faster run?  I believe so.  I didn't have the pelvic soreness after putting the hammer down on the bike.  I knew I could break the 3 hour mark on the bike but all in all I'm happy with my performance. 

Edited by arkmann 2012-04-02 12:28 PM
2012-04-03 12:16 AM

Wanted to follow up on my experience after swapping from 170 gossamer cranks to 155 origin-8 cranks. I also went with the 107 width bootom bracket spindle length. After a few rides and 1 indoor tri, the results have been extremely positive. Legs feel fresher off the bike for running and my avg cadence has gone up naturally. Haven't noticed any difference in power output yet and I train with a Powertap. However there are some issues. I began noticing a slight pinch or soreness on my outside hips and quads/knees a few hours after biking but not during. I then came across a thread on slowtwitch that addressed this exact issue. I didn't think about the q-factor change when swapping to the shorter cranks using the square taper bottom bracket. I confirmed that the q-factor is indeed about 11mm wider with the shorter cranks, which is a huge difference! I didn't really notice it while biking but it explains my new discomforts I described. I am now trying to figure out a solution to this problem. Since I have speedplay pedals, I could move the cleats 5mm further outside to bring the q-factor back to where they were before. However this would further reduce my q-factor while riding my road bike because I use the same shoes for both bikes. I guess I could buy another pair of shoes for each bike to solve this problem. Maybe a dedicated pair of tri shoes? However this is a little more costly than I would like. Another possible solution would be to switch to a shorter pedal spindle but this could cause more shoe rub against the crank arm. Has anyone else who swapped to shorter cranks notice the q-factor change? Anyone have any other solutions to solve this problem?

2012-04-03 7:58 AM

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Arkmann, Hayai....How did you guys determine BB width? Mechanic guidance?

Thanks

2012-04-03 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4126487

User image

Veteran

Bonafide,

I saw it on slowtwitch. The 107mm matches the chainline pretty well. Someone was complaining about the Q, and John Cobb actually recommended going to a 103mm spindle.

Hope that answers it! -J

2012-04-03 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4126666

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
KarlaJ...Thanks for the link and response. Funny to read the typical smart answers on ST until John piped in
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I drank the Kool Aid (switched to shorter cranks) Rss Feed  

of 4