General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best place to ride in SanDestin, FL? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-27 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: Best place to ride in SanDestin, FL?

I'm headed to Sandestin next weekend. I wasn't sure of the best place to ride.I know 30a is nice, but wasn't sure if it is good for a good ride. If so, do you ride the road or path? Wasn't sure of any other options.Thank You!!

I posted in the Florida forum, but no feedback yet, so figured I would try here.  Thanks.

2012-03-27 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4114828

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tennessee
Subject: RE: Best place to ride in SanDestin, FL?
We vacation on 30A every year in May. I don't take my bike but I swim and run all week long. I see lots of bikes, road and tri, riding 30A. Most arent in the path as its normally full of runners and walkers. Get out early and auto traffic is little to none.
2012-03-27 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4115283

User image

Master

30A is challenging because of the number of cars and pedestrians. 

However, there are several local rides that do a clockwise loop of Hwy 98, Mid-Bay Bridge (293), the road that runs along the north side of the bay through the forest, then 331 back across the bay.  You can do that route easily from SanDestin.  There are a couple of parks on the road I can't remember the name of in case you need to use the restroom, and there is a nice gas station on the corner of 331/98 where I always stop for water.

We stay at a condo down in Destin near the Back Porch and that route works great if you leave at dawn.  If you go later in the day, traffic on Hwy 98 is unpleasant, especially the further you go west from SanDestin.

DH and I recommended this ride to another guy and he HATED it, though, so if you are used to rolling country roads with no cars/trucks, this may not be the ride for you.  For us it was fine - a good way to hammer for 50 miles and then play with the kids the rest of the day.

2012-03-27 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4114828

User image

If you are staying in the Sandestin resort, you can get a pretty good ride in on the resort property, with very low traffic.  When we stay there, I usually will ride a loop in the resort, then head west on 98 and turn left at the Winn Dixie shopping center and take the scenic 98 for as far as it goes to henderson state park , then turn around and go back to the resort and make the loop in the resort again.  You can get in a pretty good ride and not have to get on the 98 for very long.  If i am not mistaken, I cna get in about a 30-40 mile ride that way.  I just get out as early as possible.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best place to ride in SanDestin, FL? Rss Feed