General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint: cages, clipless or bust? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-21 7:00 AM

New user

Florida
Subject: Sprint: cages, clipless or bust?
I'm training for my first sprint tri at Callaway Gardens on June 25. I have a 15-20 year old Raleigh road bike that a friend gave me, so I'm going retro style! It has cages (that are also 15-20 years old) that go on the pedals, but I have yet to try them out. I worry that I won't be able to get my foot out and will crash, but I'm willing to learn how to use them if they will help me finish a little faster. I don't mind being in the back, but I don't want to finish way behind everyone else. I'm also considering clipless pedals.

From your experience, which of these options do you recommend?: (a) bike in my running shoes using the cages, (b) bike in my running shoes and not use anything, just push-down pedaling, or (c) invest in some clipless pedals and bike shoes and change into my running shoes at T2.

Since the tri is 5 weeks away, I still have time to get used to cages or clipless pedals, but I probably shouldn't wait much longer. Thanks for any advice!

Amy

2006-05-21 7:33 AM
in reply to: #429209

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Sprint: cages, clipless or bust?
Last year I rode a couple of races with a 20 year old road bike with flat pedals, no cages, etc. I then got a new bike that uses clipless pedals.

What I'd suggest you do depends on your budget. If you are going to spend money, save it for a new bike. I don't think sinking money into a 20 year old bike is a worthwhile investment.

Between cages and a flat pedal, go cages all the way. These will allow you to use different muscle groups on the bike. You might not be much faster on the bike, but you will be much fresher for the run.

In summary, don't spend money on clipless pedals for a 20 year old bike. Buy a new bike if the budget permits. If it doesnt, go with the cages.

Good luck and good racing!
2006-05-21 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY

I would say it depends on your budget and on the course.  If the course is hilly you will benefit greatly from cages or clipless.  If the course is fairly flat it might not really make all that much difference.  If the cages are that old and difficult to use I wouldn't recommend doing that at all.  I used cages for my first two races, changed to clipless shortly after that, clipless are the way to go if you can afford it.  If you do go clipless and shoes you'll be able to move these to a new bike in the future.  Most of the better bikes don't come with pedals.

Oh, just for reference, I did a Duathlon this weekend.  There was a 12 year old boy that rode the 10 miles on a single speed kids bike, no cages, no clipless.  A fairly hilly course on a windy day.  He didn't finish last!  He was in the middle of the pack.  It can be done without cages or clipless if that's what your budget dictates at this time.

Chris.

2006-05-21 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
It's not hard to get your feet out of the cages. Give it a try.
2006-05-21 8:59 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
I started training with pedals with cages, and I was in clipless for my first tri. I was glad I made the change. As far as investing money in an old bike goes, I wouldn't count clipless pedals and bike shoes in that category. I used my speedplay pedals on an 8 year old mountain bike, and now the same pedals are on my SWEET tri bike. If you plan to race and train long term, you're investing in yourself when you get stuff that makes you want to train more. Get something good that will last. Yeah, that's the best way to rationalize all the cash that will start flying out of your bank account.... Good luck!
2006-05-21 9:24 AM
in reply to: #429249

Elite
Laurium, MI

my 2 cents.

First off, with an older raleigh, you might not be able to find clipless pedals for it, as the cranks may be drilled for a 1/2" thread instead of the standard 9/16".

Secondly, I am considering buying a good set of platforms with cages for sprint distance events.  Why?  Throwing on your running shoes and using them on the bike saves you gobs of transition time.  Even over the somewhat difficult trick of leaving the shoes on the bike.  I'm willing to bet that the time saved in transition will make up for the amount of time lost on a short bike leg by not wearing real clipless pedals.  This will varry with course length, terrain and skill of rider, but over the short sprint distances, not ammount to much.

Third.  Skill of the rider.  Clipless pedals are something you need to get used to riding.  If someone were to train on platforms and  then go race with clipless, they wouldn't notice a huge gain in time.  They are still used to the mashing tecnique of platforms.  The benifit of clipless is the ability to spin the pedals and hold higher cadence.  Something that comes with time and practice.  So even if you were to ride for a few weeks with either clips or clipless, I'm willing to bet your technique in either would be about the same, meaning the benifit of clipless over clips wouldn't be much.  Certainly not enough to overcome the Transition time diff.

so long term...clipless = good.  For now, I'd use the toe clips, as I think they will suit you a lot better.  Also, retro is retro.  You wouldn't go putting 20" spinners on a '32 Ford would you?

Edited by vortmax 2006-05-21 9:25 AM

2006-05-21 9:25 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Go with the cages, you will save the time in not having to change to running shoes in T2
2006-05-21 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

My first tri last year was a sprint. I used my 17 year old mtn bike with cages on the pedals. I wore my running shoes on the bike and it made for a quick transition to the run. It is not a bad way to get a taste for your first tri.

Have fun!

2006-05-21 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arnhem
I have clips on my mountain bike, but for my last sprint off road triathlon I installed non clip pedals and cycled with my running shoes. I don't think I lost much time on the bike leg, and managed to pass 3 other competitors in T2 !
Good luck
2006-05-21 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Go with the cages but... get the small cage that basically holds your toes and front foot, and has no straps. It is much less cumbersome to get in and out of it and costs about 5$. That is what im using for my first sprint tri june 4th.
2006-05-21 11:43 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Yup, everyone is right about cages or clipless being faster.  That being said, if you haven't reached a good comfort level with them by your tri, don't worry about being the only one that isn't using them - I went w/my regular flat pedals for my first tri, I wasn't the only one, and I did even pass a couple people on the bike leg!  (I'd only had my new bike for a week, figured adding clipless into the mix wasn't the best idea just yet.)

2006-05-21 3:24 PM

New user

Florida
Wow, what nice people triathletes are; all the helpful replies! Based on your advice, I've decided to go down to the LBS tomorrow and get some new cages that don't have the back strap. That way, I'll have over a month to get used to them and I can save time in the sprint by not changing shoes in T2.

I plan to get a new or newer bike in a few months, especially since the Raleigh is too big for me and my palms sting after a couple of miles, even with my gel gloves. The seat is down all the way, and my "Ironman" friend who nicely gave it to me adjusted it for me the best he could, but I still have a LOT of weight on the handlebars. The bike's a 58cm and according to a LBS fitting I had last month, I should be on a 52-54cm. I've gotten kind of fond of the Raleigh though, luckily it fits my husband well so he will enjoy it when we go out riding together (he doesn't do triathlons -- yet).

So...I'll be soaking in any and all new bike advice on here as well!

2006-05-21 5:34 PM
in reply to: #429400

User image

Master
brummie land

one other thing thast may help is lose the gel gloves. i got awful blisters with mine - they just weren't protecting the right bits of my hand. bought the ednura mighty mitt instead - complete with snot wipe pad

they're fab and my hands no longer hurt

2006-05-21 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

I'm surprised a number of people advised you away from the clipless.

I bought clipless for my even older bike and found an immediate improvement.  I don't consider it wasted money, as the pedals and shoes can be reused on a new bike when I get one.  

2006-05-21 6:54 PM

New user

Florida
I'm still planning to do clipless, just not for this upcoming sprint, and maybe not on this bike since it's too big. But definitely on a new(er) bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint: cages, clipless or bust? Rss Feed