All Community Events
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 11m 17s
Overall Rank = 1101/1593
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 75/86
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at my brothers place to be closer to the race. Had 5 hour Energy, spoonful of Chia seed, a clif bar, and water on the way.
Event warmup:

Jogging and stretching
Run
  • 2h 11m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Started with the 9:10 pace group, the leader was spot on 9:05 while I stayed with them. Mile 6 I started to fade back but was still holding around 9:30 pace took a Hammer gel at this point as planned. I felt a twinge in my left knee around mile 7, I had tendon problems during my training so this was normal and continued to push through. Hit a wall around mile 9 and and pace dropped significantly.Hamstring Cramps began around mile 12 (just my luck)but subsided after a half mile. Not much left in the tank for a strong finish coupled with Knee pain led to a unsatisfactory Finish time.
What would you do differently?:

In trying to get as close to 2:00 as I could I started with the 9:10 pace group. I outran my training first half of the race, even though i felt good it was not sustainable.I should have started with the 10:00 pace group and aimed for a 2:05 finish. I should have taken a gel around the 4 mile mark and another later on in the race, one was not enough and it was too late for any noticeable effect.I started taking 15 - 30 second walking breaks each mile after mile marker 11. I should have this earlier as I had a noticeable increase in performance after them. I lost a lot of time on mile 9 and 10. Overall not a bad first half marathon, but my newbness towards long distance running races showed.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching and walking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pace management and pain in knee.

Last updated: 2012-04-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:11:17 | 13.1 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 75/86
Overall: 1101/1593
Performance: Average
Course: Multiple loops on open multi use trail.Tight for amount of people at beginning
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-01 3:52 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago IL
Subject: Chi Town Half Marathon

2012-04-01 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4123380

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Chi Town Half Marathon
Nice job today! The pace group I went with was pretty spot on too. They sped up a bit but I hung with them for most of the race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chi Town Half Marathon Rss Feed