General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good saddle for women? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-02 7:10 PM

Subject: Good saddle for women?

I just bought my first road bike and have taken a few rides on it.  So far the bike has been really good for me except the saddle is quite uncomfortable.  I have tried riding with my tri shorts and that padding has helped some, but I have also added extra padding to get me through the rides.  I am wondering if I should look at a new saddle?  Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!

2012-04-03 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4125818

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: Good saddle for women?
You can try adjusting a few things with your bike fit first--moving the saddle fore/aft, tilt the nose up or down, etc. It could be the saddle's fine, you just need some minor fitting tweaks.
2012-04-03 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley

My girlfriend loves her women's San Marco Triathgel and San Marco Glanour ASPide saddles.

2012-04-04 10:05 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

Did the bike come with the stock saddle? If so...toss it.  :-

Usually it takes a few testings to try for good saddles.  First you need to determine whether you prefer a T shaped or Pear-shaped saddle, then that will help your search.

I've read up on a lot of women who ride road bikes.

Popular saddles to try;

Specialized Jett

Specialized Ruby (Very popular among the ladies)

Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow

Selle Italia Diva

Terry Butterfly Ti

Padding of the saddle and shorts really have little to do with comfort. It helps, but not a determining factor.  If your sitbones is wider than the saddle, then you'll need a wider saddle (Specialized have three widths), etc.   It does take a few tries.

However, if you JUST started riding, it may be that you just need time in the saddle. You shouldn't feel your girly bits squished though. 

Good luck!!  LMK if you want resources on how to find the proper saddle, and how to measure your sitbones width so you can have a good start at looking for saddles.  

Source: I've been through 6 different saddles, and I *think* I found the one. I think I need to put in longer rides and harder rides before determining that's the one. :-) I'm so picky. LOL.

2012-04-04 10:10 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

My wife had pain in her lady parts from her saddle.

We got her a Adamo Road and that feels better, but she hasn't taken it on a long ride yet.

2012-04-08 1:36 AM

Look at the Terry saddles (specifically designed for women).

Saddles are very individual, so also consider the Cobb saddles.  They are very helpful if you call them, and you can return the saddle within 180 days (not a typo) no questions asked if you don't like it (I actually sent one back after 150+ days...no problem).  They aren't cheap, but you can't lose.

www.cobbcycling.com

2012-04-08 11:58 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
If you have a good LBS, that will likely be your best bet. Many have demo programs which allow you to test out saddles for a week. I went through about 6 before I found one that I could comfortably ride for over an hour. The more saddles you can get your butt on the better. Eventually you will find one that just feels right. Riding, when properly fitted and on a good saddle, shouldn't hurt.
2012-04-09 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL

I agree with CyborgQueen's post.  I've been through a myriad of saddles, and she is absolutely correct.  You first need to determine the correct saddle width for your sit bones.  In my experience, I have found that most (not all) men's/unisex saddles are just too narrow for the majority (again, not all) of women out there...and this includes the Cobb and Adamo saddles (at least for me, it did).  

The shape of the saddle is another very important point that CyborgQueen mentions in her post.  Pear-shaped saddles have a more gradual transition from the rear to the nose, and therefore have a tendency to cause chafing or rubbing issues on the inner thighs/crease area.  I've found that the more T-shaped a saddle is, the greater reduction of chafing in this area.  

Another important factor is...cut-out vs. no cut-out.  Some women (myself included) require a cut-out or at the very least, a deep divot in the saddle to relieve pressure of the girly bits. 

I have settled on the Specialized Ruby 155 for now.  It's not perfect, but it's the best option at the moment. 

2012-04-10 11:35 AM

Veteran
Honolulu
The best thing you can do is go to a Specialized bike dealer and get your sit bones measured with the asss-o-meter. Bring your bike with you. They will set it up on a trainer and let you try as many as you want based on your sit bone width. I tried 6 (incl 1 man's seat just to see) and one felt like it was made for me. Women's Ruby 155. My sit bones were 151mm apart and I had been riding a 143mm seat (stock size on men's bike). They are very knowledgeable and won't mind helping you as these seats are $120. Worth every cent. Now I don't even need any padding for rides under 50 miles. Feels perfect.

Edited by HonoluluAngel 2012-04-10 11:41 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good saddle for women? Rss Feed