of 2

2012-04-04 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4130507

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Subject: RE: Open road bike course

paxsarah makes a good point.

I've been to a few races where competitors got lost on the bike course and were distressed (quite understandably) by this.

The race officials were quick to state the USA Triathlon rule:

"5.3 Knowledge of Course. The sole responsibility of knowing and following the prescribed cycling course rests with each participant. No adjustments in times or results shall be made for participants who fail to follow the proper course for any reason whatsoever."

Source:http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/rulebook.aspx#Article 5

This is both a safety concern and a competitive concern. I was photographing a race over the weekend and it was obvious a lot of the competitors did not know the course since they were asking me, a race photographer, which way they should go at a three way intersection on the run course that had 2 signs indicating what direction they should go. It was also covered in the race meeting I attended.

I know most of you know this, but it pays to remember this is a race. An adult, competitive event. With the privlege of competition comes the responsibility of being a responsible and competent competitor.

That absolutely includes doing a thorough map reconnaissance of the course before the race, and even riding or driving the race course before the race, to familiarize yourself with the course.

Edited by Tom Demerly. 2012-04-04 4:35 PM

2012-04-04 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4129120

User image

New user
Athens, GA
That is a good point, and fortunately I had driven and ridden my course prior to the race so I was fairly familiar with it. The part I found confusing was that with no worries about whether vehicular traffic was being managed at every other intersection I noticed, there was one intersection - with a stoplight - that was completely unmanned. On the way out, I encountered a red light and no traffic, and had a momentary panic about whether I should stop. On the way back, I realized that I had a red light and opposing traffic and still nobody directing traffic there for the race, and stopped via the I-have-no-momentum-and-can't-get-unclipped-so-I'll-tip-over-now method. (As I mentioned, it was my first tri.) The rest of the course was managed so well I was just very confused.
2012-04-04 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4130595

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Wow. I think a degree of confusion in this instance is pretty understandable. I'm glad you got through it OK.Surprised

2012-04-04 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4129137

User image

New user
Austin
briderdt - 2012-04-04 8:33 AM

Well, if you want to pay Ironman-like entry fees for your local sprints, I'm sure they can do a closed-road bike course.

I've never done a tri with closed roads. Ever. Never had a problem. Is it really that hard to keep your head about you?

I don't think you have to pay Ironman fee's to have closed roads or at least the "feel" of the road being closed.  The two Oly Tri's that go thru downtown Austin close down ALL of congress ave north of the river in front of the State Capital.  There is one four block section that has only one lane for cars out of 6 or 7 total lanes.  The entry fee's aren't that bad either 130-150 depending on time of entry.

I think it just depends on the city, time of day the race is held, etc.  I can understand not closing down an interstate or major highway or something, but depending on the city you should be able to have a race that closes a good portion of the road so it's safe for the riders.

2012-04-04 10:47 PM
in reply to: #4129120

Thank you for all that responded I wasn't expecting this many comments.   I think some people may have misinterpreted my question or more then like my question was misleading.   My initial question was is it dangerous to race not train on roads with traffic.   Many people have answered this question.   I have never participated in a race where i had to watch out for cars only charity bike rides.    In my mind i picture something much worse then what it probably is.    My other concern is about the course route and getting lost.   Some people already answered that question.   

From all the comments posted, racing on open roads isn't a big deal as long as you are prepared and know your limits

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open road bike course Rss Feed  

of 2