General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DAM tri in Amesbury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-11 6:57 AM

Subject: DAM tri in Amesbury

Good race? Thinking of a little trip to New England and this race would fit in the schedule.  Found a youtube video from last year; looked like folks were having a good time.

More specifically, is the water super cold (I'm from Texas)? How are the roads for the bike course? Hilly, smooth, etc?

Thanks!

2012-04-11 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4142635

New user

Subject: RE: DAM tri in Amesbury

Hi Bets, you should definitely sign up for it.  I did it last year as my first tri ever and really enjoyed it.  I only have one other to compare to since, but the Dam tri blew the other away.  Tons of people, tons of racers, great volunteers, and it's run very well. 

The water was barely wet-suit legal (I didn't even know that rule until that morning), but I didn't wear one and was fine.  The transition is close to the water and easy in/easy out.  The bike ride had some hills, including a killer hill near the end.  However, I was still riding a mountain bike with fat wheels and I managed fine.  The run is pretty flat. Everybody was cheering on each other so I couldn't have asked for a better event to start on.

I signed up for it again along with a few other races this summer.  See you there!

2012-04-11 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4143579

Thanks!  Working on logistics, but hope to be there!  Sure appreciate the info!

2012-04-12 7:47 AM

Hi Bets,

I live in Amesbury and I have done this race for several years running now.  A very nice example of a sprint distance.  Water temp is always borderline of suit/no suit.  I think you could safely plan on not needing one.  Scouting report was accurate.  A couple of hills on the bike, with the most substantial being in the last mile to mile and a half.  Run is quite flat.  Overall this event has been very well run with a great atmosphere for the athletes and spectators alike.

Hope to see you there in July!

Kevin

2012-06-29 9:02 AM

Looking forward to it! As well as looking forward to getting out of the Texas Heat.

2012-07-03 10:06 AM

One more question....is there any pre-race communication with this race?  I'm signed up, but am starting to guess that all the info will be provided at packet pickup?  I suppose I'm used to getting at least one informational email from the races I have done. (yeah, I know it's still 12 days out, but I've heard from the other two races I'm doing on July 8 and 11.)

2012-07-03 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4292432

LOL...never mind...got an email within 45 minutes of posting this.

2012-07-13 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
MA

Does anyone have any parking suggestions for the Amesbury tri tomorrow?  Is downtown close to Lake Gardner?  I'm not overly familiar with the area so the emailed parking information doesn't help me out much:

"Parking will be in and around the downtown Amesbury area. Please park only in designated areas. Please do not park near race site. Vehicles parked in areas with No Parking signs will be towed."

A destination, or something I could map, around the downtown Amesbury area would be great.  Thank you.

2012-07-13 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4309742

User image

Extreme Veteran
jammers - 2012-07-13 11:05 AM

Does anyone have any parking suggestions for the Amesbury tri tomorrow?  Is downtown close to Lake Gardner?  I'm not overly familiar with the area so the emailed parking information doesn't help me out much:

"Parking will be in and around the downtown Amesbury area. Please park only in designated areas. Please do not park near race site. Vehicles parked in areas with No Parking signs will be towed."

A destination, or something I could map, around the downtown Amesbury area would be great.  Thank you.

There is parking downtown on Friend St (you could try to map 1 friend St. - the beginning of Friend is one-way) or The Barking Dog, which is a restaurant on the corner of Friend and the parking lot. You would then walk up Friend, take a right onto Pond, then a left on to High St. to get to the lake (not even a 10 min walk).  There is also parking near The Barn, which is just a little further away on the opposite side of downtown, but still very close.  From there you would walk over to High St. and up to Lake Gardner. 

Don't forget to start drinking fluids today - it's gonna be a hot one!

2012-07-13 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran
MA
Thanks ArielLIlB very much appreciated.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DAM tri in Amesbury Rss Feed