General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time to start strengthening up... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-11 3:05 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Time to start strengthening up...

So I spent the last three months losing weight and making improvements in my cardiovascular fitness through triathlon training and smarter eating.  Now I'm looking to reshape what once was.

I'm looking for bodyweight workouts that will help me get into "holy crap" shape.  I am not a member of a gym and I'm not looking to join one.  I'd like some good reccomendations for workout programs that can be done at home or on the road using only bodyweight.  Of course you have pushups, dips, planks, crunches, pullups etc that can be done.  Was just wondering if someone had a good system.  Be it a book or youtube video or whatever that they would reccomend.  I'm not looking to bulk up (at 6'4" 218 I've got enough bulk) I'm just looking to harden up what is already here.

Thanks

2012-04-11 7:45 PM
in reply to: #4144050

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Time to start strengthening up...
If you're open to investing in a little equipment, check out TRX.

The equipment mostly just facilitates using your own body weight in different positions and at different angles than you might normally be able to. The equipment is also very small and easily portable if you wanted to take it on the road with you.

Of course, there is the current popular programs of "P90X" and "Insanity", too. Knowing only a little about each, I'd personally opt for TRX, but they are all proven.
2012-04-12 5:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Upstate NY

Many of the guys I work with developed workouts using whatever they could find when they were away from home.  One of the best seemed to be sandbags.  Cheap and simple and if you need it heavier you just wet the sand.  It's a bit primal but you can generate variations on all the major exercises (squat, lung, press, pull).  Certainly doesn't have to be expensive.

If you're looking for a great bodyweight workout, the menshealth site had a few a while back when I was looking for some.  it might be worth checking out.

2012-04-12 7:50 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
P90X is good for toning
2012-04-12 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4144620

User image

Payson, AZ

cgregg - 2012-04-11 5:45 PM If you're open to investing in a little equipment, check out TRX. The equipment mostly just facilitates using your own body weight in different positions and at different angles than you might normally be able to. The equipment is also very small and easily portable if you wanted to take it on the road with you. Of course, there is the current popular programs of "P90X" and "Insanity", too. Knowing only a little about each, I'd personally opt for TRX, but they are all proven.

I'd recommend the TRX as well.  Although I would ensure you have a good spot to use it before going that route.  I'm lucky, I hook mine up outside on my deck.  But, if you need to hook it over a door you need to do it on the opposite side it opens on so that you are pulling back into the door frame.  In this house I would have a hard time finding a good spot to do that and have room to workout, in other places no problem.  You could also get a ceiling mount though.

There are countless body weight exercises you could do though, even without the TRX.  I'd recommend getting an exercise ball as well. 

2012-04-12 5:21 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
sealfit.com has some awesome workouts, especially if you have access to stuff like sandbags, tires, etc.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time to start strengthening up... Rss Feed