General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Second Thought on New Pedals/Shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-23 12:23 PM

User image

Subject: Second Thought on New Pedals/Shoes

After riding the past few years on my SPD pedals/shoes, I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade this year to a new more road bike system.  I bought a new set of Speedplay Zeros and a pair of LG shoes with a ratchet strap.  I've been out on the new setup a few times and seem to like the power transfer.  It did take awhile to get used to the float.  I'm concerned about how I'm going to be able to race in this new setup though.

I like to wear socks and have always put my shoes on in T1, but there is no way I'm going to try and run to the mount line in this new setup.  The cleats are too big and kind of slick.  Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.  I would try to keep the shoes clipped in but I concerned about trying to do the ratchet strap while riding. 

I am considering just going back to my old SPD setup.  Any advice would be appreciated as I would hate to have wasted the $200 on this new setup but better than ruining a race with a wipe out.

2012-04-23 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4167394

User image

Subject: RE: Second Thought on New Pedals/Shoes
One of the first things suggested is do not get a pair of shoes with a ratchet for triathon. Get tri shoes. They're also made for biking barefoot so the socks aren't necessary with them.

You got great pedals, now get shoes that match what you want to do with them

2012-04-25 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar

I ride with the Speedplay Zero's and did change from a road shoe to a tri shoe. As for the float on the Speedplay's that can be adjusted. I have completed 2 tri sprints, 2 HIM, and 1 dualthlon in them really haven't had an issue walking or a slow jog. 

I love the dual sided entry which makes it nice when clipping vs the single side and missing it and putting the pedal into the back of my leg (biggest decision on Speedplay)

2012-04-28 8:53 PM

Running with the Speedplay cleat is no worse than any other road system (actually better since you aren't wearing on the engagement area).  As mentioned, it's hard to get into a ratchet system if the shoes are on the bike, just put them on in T1.

If you want to spare your cleats some wear and have better T1 traction, get a set of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEEP-CLEAT-COVERS-SPEEDPLAY-ZERO-AND-LIGHT-ACTION-CLEATS-LEAVE-THEM-ON-/310393714528#ht_766wt_1139

2012-04-30 7:20 AM

User image

Veteran

I just completed my first olympic distance yesterday and had to decide if I was going to run in the Speedplays or do a running mount.

I got some of these:  http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html

I wound up running from the bike rack to the mount line and they worked pretty well.

Maybe that will help.

twomarks

2012-04-30 7:59 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
You know, there ARE road-style pedals and road/tri shoes for spd cleat systems. Should you be so inclined, anyway.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Second Thought on New Pedals/Shoes Rss Feed