General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Houston Area Tri Clubs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-25 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: Houston Area Tri Clubs

I am a second year triathlete (collegiate soccer player) looking to find a team to join in the Houston locale. I live in the Heights and mainly looking for some training teammates for long distance training on the weekends, lots of social events, etc. I do most of my training by myself during the week due to my schedule but would like the flexiibility of joining group rides/runs.

Curious to know who is in what clubs and which would recommend. Without mentioning any names I have researched most of them out there but would like to get some input from the BT crowd.

Many Thanks.

2012-04-25 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4172303

Subject: RE: Houston Area Tri Clubs

I live in the Heights as well - I had a hard time finding a good club that didn't meet out in the suburbs.  HRTC is the largest in-town group, but even they do most of their workouts further out than I want to travel.  Tri on the Run does a good job, but it is more of a group training program than a club.  I ride with them on Sunday mornings - good folks.  I run by myself or with friends during the week (speed workouts at Reagan HS, hills at Spotts Park), swim a masters class, run with Kenyan Way Saturday mornings, then ride with TOTR on Sundays.

Let me know if you want to meet up for a workout...we live near 10th & Oxford

2012-04-25 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4173030

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

Thanks for the info. I just recently bought a house in the North side of the Heights, 23rd and Beall (near Cedar Creek). I also have found that there is not much (surprisingly) team action within the city. I would have figured between the major parks and bayous I have found enough training locations to put together variety (due to traffic mostly).

And here come my stalker questions - What kind of pace do you guys roll with TOTR? I assume you roll from the Memorial location. I'm racing this Sunday in Kemah but am interested in the group rides.

Where do you do your master swim class at? Dad's club? I currently have a membership at Lifetime. Which was convenient for my last job but no longer. Considering joining the new Y on 34th (actually real nice). They have a good outdoor lap pool. Don't know how busy they get though with it being a family friendly gym. Wife works in the Med center so she is pushing for LA Fitness Signature.

How is the track at Reagan? Is it concrete, or rubber pellets?

Thanks man. Chris here, appreciate all the info.

2012-04-25 3:46 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Yeah I train with CyTri, but I'm assuming Cypress is WAY too far out for you. 
2012-04-25 4:30 PM

Reagan's track was recently resurfaced (rubber pellets maybe?)...it is a standard track surface, not sure what exactly, but it is in good condition

TOTR rides out of Pearland and there are always varying distances with paces anywhere from 16 - 22ish mph.  You can check their site for better info.  As uhcoog mentioned, there are several rides on the weekends, but most of them are out of town - much safer that way.  I've ridden with the Bike Barn Tri Club in Katy on Saturdays also, but there are several good options out there.  I wouldn't recommend riding in town, the only time I do is at the picnic loop in Memorial Park for my bricks during the week.

As far as swimming, Dad's club is a good spot and is pretty cheap, LA Fitness is nice because it is indoors.  I have never been to that YMCA on 34th.

Hope this helps - I'll be in Kemah this weekend - Olympic #188 - come say hi if you get a chance

2012-04-25 4:47 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Yeah I can't think of anyone that rides inside BW8.  Shama's group maybe?  TOTR is Pearland, Bike Barn is Katy, BAM is obviously out that way, CyTri rides out of Zube and Hockley Community Center for the most part, Bicycle World rides in the Hershey Park area.  Really for you it may be about picking an area of suburbia your comfortable going out to on the weekend and then making friends.

Oh and I'm 267 in Kemah.  See y'all there.

2012-04-26 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4173231

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Thanks. I'll take a look for y'all - #195 here. Good luck!
2012-04-30 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4173202

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
smyers01 - 2012-04-25 4:30 PM

Hope this helps - I'll be in Kemah this weekend - Olympic #188 - come say hi if you get a chance

Great race Scott. I saw you finished 7 spots ahead of me. That swim and head winds were something else. Made for a very interesting race. Not to mention the battle up and down the hill on 146, TWICE. I didn't see you at your transition position. You were right on the opposite side on the bike rack.

2012-04-30 1:34 PM

Thanks, you too...I wish I would've remembered your number Sunday morning so I could've said hello, but the 3:45 wake-up call messed up my cognitive abilities.  The swim kicked my butt, especially since my sighting was terrible and I ended up about 25 meters right a few times - oh well, it was a humbling experience.
2012-04-30 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Yeah we departed the house at 4am. I believe the race was measured from the last bouy in. The last two bouys were different colors than the eight yellow ones that were too small IMO. It was tough to sight due to the rising swells. Where we jumped in, it was a minimal 200-300 meters from the last of the bouys. I have yet to see someone raise this question in the official race forum but the swim was rough for sure. I would not have survived without my wetsuit.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Houston Area Tri Clubs Rss Feed