General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for those who have done an Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-27 5:25 PM

Maple Valley
Subject: Question for those who have done an Ironman

So today was my longest run in this training cycle, a 16 miler.  Yesterday I rode 90 miles with a 4.5 mile brick after.  Today's run was hard.  I was tired, sluggish, everything felt pretty heavy.  I don't feel that way on my bricks.  I am thinking that running long the day after a ride, can actually be harder.  What is your experience from doing a full Ironman?  Is it easier on your legs because you are already so warmed up on the bike, the endorphine factor, etc?  Or am I just fooling myself and the whole running thing is just gonna suck??  HaHa.

2012-04-27 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4177490

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Question for those who have done an Ironman
kristine25 - 2012-04-27 6:25 PM

So today was my longest run in this training cycle, a 16 miler.  Yesterday I rode 90 miles with a 4.5 mile brick after.  Today's run was hard.  I was tired, sluggish, everything felt pretty heavy.  I don't feel that way on my bricks.  I am thinking that running long the day after a ride, can actually be harder.  What is your experience from doing a full Ironman?  Is it easier on your legs because you are already so warmed up on the bike, the endorphine factor, etc?  Or am I just fooling myself and the whole running thing is just gonna suck??  HaHa.

This.

2012-04-27 5:39 PM
in reply to: #4177494

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
japarker24 - 2012-04-27 3:28 PM

This.

Yep.  Pretty much.

2012-04-27 6:45 PM
in reply to: #4177513

Master
Montgomery, Tx
popsracer - 2012-04-27 5:39 PM
japarker24 - 2012-04-27 3:28 PM

This.

Yep.  Pretty much.

Every time you think about lifting your leg for another step you will say, " why am I doing this". Then you ffinish, recover and wonder what race to do next.
2012-04-27 7:05 PM

Master
, California
It's tough and usually hot outside because it's later in the day.  But I'm fed up with the bike by the time I finish, so I don't mind getting into the running.
2012-04-27 8:11 PM

User image

Regular
Ottawa
Great OP question.  I'd like to add my own.  How many (% wise) end up walking.  I'm asking because I'm a speed walker who's learning to run all over again.   

2012-04-27 8:19 PM

Veteran
kristine25 - 2012-04-27 5:25 PM

It will feel very easy coming off the bike. This is where a large majority of people make the biggest mistake in IM. They go out way too hard in the beginning. It will catch up to you by about mile 6-10. If you ask these people after the race how the run went you will generally hear "I screwed up my nutrition".
2012-04-27 10:20 PM

User image

carlsbad

You will prob. feel awesome the first couple miles.  I had to tell myself over and over to chill out and slow down. 

I did all my long runs the day after my long rides also and my legs always felt really heavy and slow during training.  You may end up thanking yourself for training this way when your deep in the run.  Its really all about proper pacing though. 

so all that to say... yes. FOR ME,  long running the day after was harder.  

p.s. who am i kidding!!  its painful, oh it hurts so so goodSmilebut it doesnt suck.

2012-04-28 1:04 AM

User image

Veteran
you are just happy to get off the bike . my legs felt fresh for a while . normally onm my long run i struggle to keep my heart under 160 with out slowing right off but in my ironman it never got above 154 on the run . the first 10km was in 58mins .20km took me 2:05 as i was starting to feel it. after that i got dizzy a bit and had huge blisters on my feet and shut down a bit. i didnt run till the last 500m i walked 20km at 10min per 1km so was doing 6km per hr. i only got passed by a few people but past a lot ive always been a fast walker
2012-04-28 8:00 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
The run is my favorite part of triathlon but in an IM, it will definitely suck at some point in time. For me, miles 15-19 of the IM marathon were some of the bleakest miles of my athletic life. Then, at mile 19 I realized I was less than an hour from being done, perked up and ran it in strong(ish). I think training with tired legs helps get your mind wrapped around how tough it will feel on race day. I used a Garmin and went by pace. Like others I could have started faster but I am glad I didn't.

Almost everyone (unless you are truly elite) walks some of the IM marathon. Not everyone, almost everyone. I walked some of the aid stations only on the second half but I was grateful for the breaks.

Edited by wannabefaster 2012-04-28 8:02 AM
2012-04-28 11:16 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-04-28 6:27 PM

Master
Welcome to training for an Ironman. After a while the training becomes like a job. Some days it is going to suck and others it will be easy.

IMO- It is really difficult to say what will happen during the actual race. The run at my first IMFL was amazing. I felt great the whole time and had a really decent time. Last year at IMTX, I was better trained for the race. However, I became dehydrated and ended up walking basically the entire run course (6:42). Which is something I said I would never do.

Train, put in the miles, go to the race and see what the day has for you. Regardless of what happens it will be a great day.
2012-04-28 6:37 PM

Champion
MA

I've done long runs day after long bikes for IM training as well as splitting them up. I like splitting them up better.

You can't really train to run on fatigued legs. I'd rather have a solid run than practice running while fatigued. The risk of injury is greater when running fatigued.

In IM training some days it feels tough and wonder how you will be able to do 140.6. Other days you do a workout and you gain confidence. I remember for my first IM, in a period of 10 days or so, I did IM distance swim, a long run that I felt great afterwards, and a long bike with strong run after. Those were the confidence builders I recall in training that turned my mind from maybe I can do this to knowing I am capable of doing this.

On IM day you will be tapered, fans, incredible atmosphere that makes a significant difference.

I firmly believe as my good friend Sue (socks) says training for IM is harder than the race itself.

2012-04-29 1:10 AM
in reply to: #4178640

Champion
Northridge, California

Catwoman - 2012-04-28 4:27 PM  IMO- It is really difficult to say what will happen during the actual race. The run at my first IMFL was amazing. I felt great the whole time and had a really decent time. Last year at IMTX, I was better trained for the race. However, I became dehydrated and ended up walking basically the entire run course (6:42). Which is something I said I would never do. Train, put in the miles, go to the race and see what the day has for you. Regardless of what happens it will be a great day.

^^This.   Despite a bad hamstring injury shortly before the race, I felt okay about the run at my first IM.  The second one, however, went just like Catwoman's:  Dehydrated (on the bike, late) then a lot of walking (about 12 miles per my Garmin).

2012-04-29 5:51 AM

Master
STL

As you can see-it's all personal. I was under trained on the run going into my IM, but I had complete confidence. I  had a awesome bike and was glad that it was over with no issues. I went out strong on the run. Ran the first 10 miles w/o walking (my goal). Nutrition hit me hard and I probably ended up walking 2-3 miles. Once I figured out if I mixed their solution with water I could handle it, things really turned around. I still walked/ran but did much more running.

It was my first IM. It was actually my first marathon. My goal was to finish in 13 hours (did it in 12:30). Next time, I'll have different goals. I always looked at tired training days as being more realistic for race days.

2012-04-29 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4178652

Maple Valley
KathyG - 2012-04-28 4:37 PM

I've done long runs day after long bikes for IM training as well as splitting them up. I like splitting them up better.

You can't really train to run on fatigued legs. I'd rather have a solid run than practice running while fatigued. The risk of injury is greater when running fatigued.

In IM training some days it feels tough and wonder how you will be able to do 140.6. Other days you do a workout and you gain confidence. I remember for my first IM, in a period of 10 days or so, I did IM distance swim, a long run that I felt great afterwards, and a long bike with strong run after. Those were the confidence builders I recall in training that turned my mind from maybe I can do this to knowing I am capable of doing this.

On IM day you will be tapered, fans, incredible atmosphere that makes a significant difference.

I firmly believe as my good friend Sue (socks) says training for IM is harder than the race itself.

This is how I feel!!!  Those good strong training days bring on the confidence...however even the bad days, when I get through them....make me feel like I can overcome difficult times in the race.   8 weeks from today!!!!  How can one be so excited and so full of dread all at the same time!!

2012-04-29 9:05 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-04-30 5:42 AM
in reply to: #4178091

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

wannabefaster - 2012-04-28 9:00 AM The run is my favorite part of triathlon but in an IM, it will definitely suck at some point in time. For me, miles 15-19 of the IM marathon were some of the bleakest miles of my athletic life. Then, at mile 19 I realized I was less than an hour from being done, perked up and ran it in strong(ish). I think training with tired legs helps get your mind wrapped around how tough it will feel on race day. I used a Garmin and went by pace. Like others I could have started faster but I am glad I didn't. Almost everyone (unless you are truly elite) walks some of the IM marathon. Not everyone, almost everyone. I walked some of the aid stations only on the second half but I was grateful for the breaks.

This was almost exactly my experience too.  I spent the first 13 miles or so holding back, and trying to slow down, because I was running a few seconds per mile faster than I had done my long training runs, only walking at aid stations.  Then it hit me around mile 16 or 17 really hard.  It was pretty ugly for a few miles of steady walking to recover, then I was able to tough it out to run in the last couple miles strong(ish).  My split was something like 5:15.

2012-04-30 10:05 AM

Master
New Jersey
Check out the other thread about people who experience better runs as a brick workout than the long runs the day after. So, it's normal. As I said in that thread, I've moved my long run to midweek so I don't feel so crappy on my long runs.

As for race day, my lake placid experience was the first 8 miles of the run were awesome. Then it caught up to me. The key is, "plan your race, race your plan." you're gonna feel like a stud off the bike, whether race day or training.
2012-04-30 11:35 AM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Pretty much running is complete suckage for me 99% of the time.  Like kathy said the training is infinately harder than the race itself and I think most of IM training is simply training you r body to handle fatigue.  Its very individualized.  If you come from a strong running background and have done XXX number of marathons you are going to have a different experince than some one who is running their first marathon in their first IM (like me).  Have a plan A B and C.  Its impossible to predict what will happen on race day, best you can do is train to the best of your ability and roll with the punches as best you can. 
2012-04-30 1:40 PM

Expert

I totally agree that the training was harder than the race and that everyone is going to be different.  I had done 10 stand alone marathons before my first IM.  I'm not a fast runner (by most people's standards), but I knew I could cover the distance, so I knew once I got off the bike I would be fine.  I planned (and trained) to do a 4:1 run/walk ratio.  When I got off the bike my legs felt fresh and when my garmin beeped at me to walk I wanted to keep running, but made myself stick to the plan.  

I was able to do the 4:1 the whole time.  I did skip one of the run portions toward the end to soak in everything as I got close to the finish, but I was capable of keeping the 4:1.  My marathon time in my IM was only 20 minutes slower than my stand alone marathon PR at the time.  I have a new marathon PR now, so we'll see how my second IM goes.  I'm hoping for similar results, but you never know what the day will bring.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for those who have done an Ironman Rss Feed