General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike pedal overlap with front wheel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-01 3:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Subject: Bike pedal overlap with front wheel

My wife recently when into a LBS and bought a Trek Lexa (road bike), size 52.  When she brought it home, the first thing I noticed is that her toe hits the front wheel when she turns - and not just a little.  Her toe overlaps the wheel by two or three inches (more with her pedal cage) and it hits the tire when she makes the slightest turn.  It looks extremely unsafe.

We took it back, and they said they would put on a shorter crank.  They called back to say that, even with the new crank, there will still be some overlap - even if she were to move up to a size 56.  The LBS told her that it is typical with any brand of bike in size 52 or less, not just their Trek's.

Is this common with smaller road bikes?   My Felt tri bike is a 56 and I am no where near a toe overlap and can't imagine that this is something you just have to learn to deal with.

2012-05-01 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4184573

User image

Master
North Alabama
Subject: RE: Bike pedal overlap with front wheel

i have a minor overlap on my giant trinity (small).

Generlaly I only notice it when i'm stopped and turn sharp while waiting. I've never seen it while riding though.

2012-05-01 3:57 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Toe overlap is normal on high performance geometry bicycles. It is generally safe since the front wheel will never be turned far enough at normal riding speeds to actually hit the pedal at its forward position.

However, the Consumer Product Safety Commision (CPSC) has taken notice of this and, as a result, there has been a concern for bike brands and manufacturers predominantly centered on liability insurance and its costs. As a result, a few bikes have front end geometries moderated to eliminate toe overlap throughout the entire steering range.

Realistically, it is not a major concern except when turning in very tight circles at low speed.

2012-05-01 3:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The LBS is right. It's pretty common with most road bikes. Usually you'll only have an issue with your foot hitting the front wheel if you're pedaling constantly while turning very slowly and almost 90 degrees (and really, that's not something we do too often as cyclists). Part of it is her learning to ride the bike correctly. When she makes a turn when out riding, she should never be actually turning the wheel sharply enough for her foot to it...most turning is done by leaning the bike. During a sharper turn, make sure she's putting her outside pedal down ( in the 6:00 position) when coasting through the apex. When she picks up pedaling again, the wheel will be turned only gently and it won't be a problem. Grrr.. I know I'm doing a terrible job explaining it; I apologize. I think the bottom line is that unless you're practicing track stands or goofing off in a parking lot, your front wheel is never turned too extremely even when turning. It's all in the lean. 
2012-05-01 3:58 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
My trek 1.2 size 54 has a little overlap, but my toe would only contact the wheel win making a very sharp turn so it was never an issue for me. Maybe a different brand would work better or your wife?
2012-05-01 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4184599

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tom Demerly. - 2012-05-01 3:57 PM

Toe overlap is normal on high performance geometry bicycles. It is generally safe since the front wheel will never be turned far enough at normal riding speeds to actually hit the pedal at its forward position.

However, the Consumer Product Safety Commision (CPSC) has taken notice of this and, as a result, there has been a concern for bike brands and manufacturers predominantly centered on liability insurance and its costs. As a result, a few bikes have front end geometries moderated to eliminate toe overlap throughout the entire steering range.

Realistically, it is not a major concern except when turning in very tight circles at low speed.

^^this is what I was pretty much trying to say. That must be one reason that freestyle and trials bikes have such long wheel bases...you do a lot of standing still and tight turning. 

2012-05-01 4:09 PM

User image

Champion
MA

No I don't think this is common on smaller size road bikes. I ride 51 or 52 and have had 6 bikes. It only happens on 1 bike which is my cyclocross bike which has a shorter top tube. It doesn't happen on normal turns you would make riding the bike on the road, only very tight 90+ turns going at slow speed on trails where you can't cut the corner.

With the shorter crank how much toe overlap will she have? Some? Will it occur on all turns or only sharper ones.

What size crank did they install or would they install? You could get 145-160 in off market or cut down Apex cranks to be shorter and that difference between 170 and 150 might work.

Has she been fit?

What about her cleat placement?

If there is overlap but she won't ever be in a position for it to occur on the road due to the tightness of the turn I'd worry less.

Cross bike I have, I instinctively know when it will happen and will back pedal 1/2 a rotation and pedal again until I get thru the turn enough to avoid the overlap. I was quite miffed when I got the bike and had it happen as I ordered a semi custom cross bike. It wasn't like I could return it.

2012-05-01 4:11 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Here is another thread on this topic.
2012-05-01 4:17 PM

User image

Master
IMHO I think the really small frame is a good place to consider the 650cc wheels.

Edited by pschriver 2012-05-01 4:21 PM
2012-05-01 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4184626

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
KathyG - 2012-05-01 2:09 PM

No I don't think this is common on smaller size road bikes. I ride 51 or 52 and have had 6 bikes. It only happens on 1 bike which is my cyclocross bike which has a shorter top tube. It doesn't happen on normal turns you would make riding the bike on the road, only very tight 90+ turns going at slow speed on trails where you can't cut the corner.

With the shorter crank how much toe overlap will she have? Some? Will it occur on all turns or only sharper ones.

What size crank did they install or would they install? You could get 145-160 in off market or cut down Apex cranks to be shorter and that difference between 170 and 150 might work.

Has she been fit?

What about her cleat placement?

If there is overlap but she won't ever be in a position for it to occur on the road due to the tightness of the turn I'd worry less.

Cross bike I have, I instinctively know when it will happen and will back pedal 1/2 a rotation and pedal again until I get thru the turn enough to avoid the overlap. I was quite miffed when I got the bike and had it happen as I ordered a semi custom cross bike. It wasn't like I could return it.

We'll have to go in and see how much overlap there is with the shorter crank (we have to drive an hour to get there so haven't had time yet).  I think they said they were going to try a 165.

She was fit, and it had me kind of wondering about the LBS - that they didn't notice it.

She doesn't have cleats yet, just a toe cage, which exacerbates the problem.

Thanks for all the responses, I guess we just need to go pick it up and do some riding to see if it is going to be an issue... sounds like maybe it isn't as big of a problem as I initially thought.

2012-05-01 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4184664

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I have a size 52 Trek (and wear size 8 shoes) and the ONLY time this ever comes up is if I have my right foot at 3 o'clock, I am at an intersection and have to touch the crosswalk button, and I turn my handlebars as part of rotating my bike 90 degrees while stopped.

When riding the bike, I lean to turn. 

When I turn to the right, I have my pedal at the 12 o'clock position unless some highly usual situation.  If the turn is gentle enough that I keep pedaling, then I am DEFINITELY not turning the wheel dramatically.

Long story short, it's not a problem when operating the bike properly. 

2012-05-01 5:29 PM

Malvern, PA

Agree it's very common with shorter frames.

Can even occur with larger frames if the TT is relatively short.

For example, my custom geometry frame has a "size" of 64cm and has MAJOR toe overlap.

Once you know it's there, it's only an issue when turning at VERY slow speed (like starting or stopping), which calls for a "ratchet" pedaling style.

Ride more, worry less.

Edited by datlas 2012-05-01 5:30 PM
2012-05-01 5:41 PM

User image

I have this on both my bikes. It is definitely something to be aware of. There are three times i can think of off the top of my head where I need to be aware. First starting at an intersection if the wheel is turned a bit, second u-turns, third parking lots where you are going slowly and maybe turning sharply.

It very quickly becomes second nature to pay attention because it scares the crap out of you the first time you bump your toe into the wheel :-)
2012-05-01 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4184599

Tom Demerly. - 2012-05-01 4:57 PM

... in which case your feet would be at 12 & 6 anyway.

2012-05-01 7:46 PM

User image

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA
I've been road riding since the early 80's.  My bikes are small (49 & 47).  Both with shorter cranks.  I've always had toe overlap.  It's never been an issue.  I have lots and lots of miles and never even think about it.  The only time I might notice is if stopped at a light and happen to turn the handle bars while stopped.   Other than that my quick/sharp turns would always be with the inside foot up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike pedal overlap with front wheel Rss Feed