General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Things you learned at your first tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-05-26 9:32 PM
in reply to: #435522

User image

Regular
Central Illinois
Subject: RE: Things you learned at your first tri
No matter what the weather triathletes will come and there will be volunteers to back us up. 

2006-05-26 9:36 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Be ready for things you aren't/can't prepare for... It rained hard for two days before my first tri. The lake was freezing (oh yeah, and OW swim before your first OW swim in a race!!!) and half the race was thick, nasty mud that caked onto your shoes.

Sometimes, there's just no way to be fully prepared and the lesson is to just be ready and willing to roll with the punches!

2006-05-27 12:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Volunteer for a Tri!!!
I volunteered for both St. A's and Florida Half Ironman and I can't even begin to list the number of things I learned from watching the athletes compete! I was quite worried about transitions being rushed and chaotic but watching people take their time and fool around and generally have a blast was VERY encouraging! I am not as apprehensive to get out there as I was a month ago
2006-05-28 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Laurens County, SC
There a people (a few) slower than me.

2006-05-28 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
Warm-up!

First tri my first excercise (apart from wheeling the bike to transition) was when the gun went off.

I couldn't work out why all these people would get in the water so early before the start...

I went off way hard, feeling rocking for about 100m then exploded completely (hey, just like I did last weekend so I really didn't learn anything did I!). Took me the whole of the swim to get myself together.
2006-05-28 11:00 PM

User image

Don't think these have been said yet.. if they have, my apologies:

- If you want to wear socks on the bike, prepare them first by putting them on then rolling them down your foot. Then, when you want to put them on your damp feet, you just roll 'em on and go.

- Get a race belt. It's the best $5 you'll spend. No fiddling with safety pins, no worrying about your bib # (or your shirt) getting ripped when you put your shirt on.

- Don't forget to take off your helmet in T2!

Edited to add:

Don't forget to have FUN! You will always look back at the pics of your first tri and a big smile makes them look so much better

Have a great time and good luck!

Edited by Vaiza 2006-05-28 11:02 PM

2006-05-29 7:54 AM
in reply to: #436903

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Vaiza - 2006-05-28 10:00 PM
- If you want to wear socks on the bike, prepare them first by putting them on then rolling them down your foot. Then, when you want to put them on your damp feet, you just roll 'em on and go.

I wish I would have read this 24 hours ago. Genius.

2006-05-29 9:11 AM

User image

, Tokyo

Memories of my first tri are still fresh in my mind since it was only two months ago.  Here's my $0.02.

1. Here's how I solved the "find your bike" problem:  make sure you're one of the last ones out of the water.  That way, the transistion area has cleared out and you can get to your bike without all the bumping and stumbling that I'm sure the MOPers had to contend with.
  2. "It's only a 15 mile bike and I can hydrate when I get back for T2".  Probably not good thinking.  By the time I got back, I could only take a couple of mouths full of water.  Had to wait until the only aid station on the run to suck down 2 dixie cups of water.  When both quads cramped up, I knew it was time to hang some water on the bike.
  3. Lots of bricks.  I'm not experienced enough to tell anyone when to do them, but I certainly needed more.  Or do I need to accept that my calves will cramp for the first 1/2 mile?
  4. The ocean water you accidently inhale does not count towards your water for the day.
  5. Whoever comes to support you (wife, girlfriend, both), take that person to a nice lunch.  And if you wife is drenched from standing in the rain watching you finish, get her some new dry clothes first. 
  6. Bring a second towel and leave it in your car.  Just in case a giant thunderstorm opens up in the middle of the race and drenches the towel you've got in the transition area.
  7. If you happen to grab a big handfull of butt-cheek in the middle of the swim, pretend it's a member of the opposite sex.  That's what I'm doing.
  8. Learn how to track in the OW.  It turns out I hook right.  Might have contributed to lesson #1.
  9. Wear your t-shirt with pride.  Don't be surprised when strangers read it and tell you how cool/tough/crazy you are.
  10. Enjoy yourself. 

2006-05-29 9:30 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Things I learned in my first tri

1. It is really hard
2. OWS is way different than pool swims...one or two ows practice is not enough
3. Try and enjoy the day/race, I was to afraid to enjoy it.
4. Say something upbeat to everyone and smile at those who do it to you.
5. Finishing your first tri is priceless no matter what place you finish
6. Follow your training plan and the week before your tri is not the time to prove to yourself you can run 5K.
7. Next one is a little easier but still hard (see #1 above).

2006-05-29 9:42 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
1. There are lots of other freaked out people there as well.
2. The same freaked out people think they might not belong at the race as well.
3. Adrenaline can hurt you badly on the swim. SLOOOOOOWWW down. BREATH!
4. TriSuits save time!
5. Make sure the bike is not in sand when you had to walk it through a hazard. Falling down in sand while clipped in is embarassing (and painful).
6. Headwind blows. Tailwind rules!
7. Ditto on the bricks. Do them.
8. My running stinks!
9. bigger folks who look like they play for the Patriots can be fast.
10. Little skinny dudes can be slow.
11. Make sure the shoes don't have knots.
12. TRIATHLONS ROCK! It's like achievement crack!
13. My wife is my best jockstrapper!
2006-05-29 3:01 PM
in reply to: #435536

User image

Extreme Veteran
Artemis - 2006-05-26 11:43 AM

It's really hard to put clothes on when you are wet.  I tried to put on a bike jersey after the swim and it took awhile.  The money for a tri top/tri shorts or tri suit is well spent. 

I believe this is one of the biggest things I wish I knew before my first Tri. T1 was freaking awful because it took me so freaking long to get all my gear on!

2 other things I learned that day - If you are going to have to bike and run in your swimsuit, practice before hand as they dont offer as much support as a sports bra would, and smile when an 8 year old passes you in the pool. Ouch.

Good luck!!

Megz

2006-06-02 9:50 PM

I did my first on May 21st, and the biggest thing above all else is to have fun. Think about all the training you have done and realize that you are ready. I was nervous going in because I hadn't done the full distance, but I paced myself and finished strong. As much as I wanted to push myself on the bike, I kept telling myself that I would rather have the energy at the back end then use it now. Best of luck, you will do great.
2006-06-02 10:21 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Other than the fact that it's wet, swimming in open water is nothing like swimming in a pool. Get as much OWS practice as possible before the race.
2006-06-02 10:22 PM
in reply to: #437016

User image

Veteran
Tuscaloosa, AL
"# Whoever comes to support you (wife, girlfriend, both), take that person to a nice lunch. And if you wife is drenched from standing in the rain watching you finish, get her some new dry clothes first. "

This is a big one. I tend to get real focused / self absorbed / selfish on race mornings. I now know to make a point of thanking whoever comes to see me race.

Save something for the run, and then run like hell.

Edited by Nakima 2006-06-02 10:23 PM
2006-06-09 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT

1.  Forgo Mom's gracious offer of feeding me bacon and eggs for breakfast even though I knew better.  Drink coffee you really are addicted to it and it is hard to do anything without it.

2.  Accept that I AM a slow swimmer.  Warm up a little in the pool before I start.

3.  TAKE OFF YOU BIKE HELMET IN T2  it is really embarrassing to have it on while running.  Yes this is my first triathlon.

4. down a gel half way through the bike course.

5.  Take off Camel Back in T2 you don't need it.  Plus  You look like a dork running accross the finish line with it on and carrying your helmet.

6.  My running sucks.  Got to work on that.

7.  Don't worry about what you look like in the tri top.  Don't wear a cotton t-shirt over it.  It gets too hot and sticky.

8.  Should have got a race number belt, then I wouldn't need the t-shirt.

9.  I get kind of goofy after the hard bike ride and should have a cheat sheet by my transition area listing all these things I learned in the first tri.

2006-06-09 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
I agree with everyone who recommended a tri suit and a race number belt - they are WONDERFUL creations...

Expect to get kicked/grabbed/punched/etc. on the swim. Then when it happens, it won't be such a shocker.

Also, remember that you came to have fun, not to win. Even if you finish dead last, you did a lot better than the people who didn't try.

2006-06-09 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Lots of great ideas - I wish I knew these a few weeks ago for my first tri! I would add:

1) The OW swim is MUCH harder than expected. Do as many OW swims as you can (ie at least ONE to know what you will feel like on race day).

2) Learn to mount and dismount the bike while moving. There is so much going on that you can quickly become a hazard if you are not careful!

3) HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE. Don't rely on water stations - consider them extra.

4) Remember to have fun. You can never repeat your "first tri" so just do your best and be proud of yourself no matter what your finishing time is...it is your new PR!!

Best of luck!
2006-06-09 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
I could post a long list of things to do, to bring, to prepare for, etc. But I'm not going to do that. Only realize this:

All you're really about to do is swim a bit, bike for awhile, then run some. You've done all three many times before and you'll do them all again. Just because you're in a "race" doesn't mean that you're doing anything differently that you haven't done before.

Relax. This is for fun. You're not doing this for a living. Enjoy it.
2006-06-09 4:45 PM
in reply to: #437030

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Bluejack - 2006-05-29 9:42 AM TRIATHLONS ROCK! It's like achievement crack! 

That's awesome!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Things you learned at your first tri Rss Feed  

of 2