General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Collection of Cycling NOOB Qs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-06 1:39 AM

Subject: Collection of Cycling NOOB Qs

Ok, I'm relatively new to Tri's but really want to ramp up my game this year as I train for HIM.  I've got several questions as it relates to cycling that I'm hoping you all can provide some guidance.

1 - when I ride on the trainer, I typically stay right in position (little movement).  However, whenever I go and ride outside, I always slide forward so much so that I can end up on the tip of the saddle and am constantly having to shift my weight backwards a little.  I've moved my saddle forward but it seems like it doesn't make much of a difference.  I can keep shifting it forward but not sure why it only happens when riding outside.

2 - My goal is to ride 3:00/mile for the HIM but I'm averaging about 17.5-19.  When it is completely flat with no wind, I can get up to 20mph.  So, to build up to get faster, would it help doing some leg work (curls, extensions) with weights or is it just a matter of riding more and pushing harder.

3 - Where is the best resource to learn about gearing or more correctly I really have no idea what gears I should be riding but try to get into a cadence range of 80-95.  I ride a 2011 Felt B14 stock so not sure if the crank and/or cassette are good enough or if I should change out for a better gearing?

4 - Would getting aero disc covers really make any difference to overall time/speed for a HIM?

As always thanks for all the assistance.

2012-05-06 2:00 AM
in reply to: #4193005

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-05-06 4:59 AM

Master
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Collection of Cycling NOOB Qs

1. check that your saddle isn't tilited.  If it isn't level, it can slide you forward.  If that's not the issue, I'd go in and get a proper fit.

2. No

3. http://sheldonbrown.com/gear-theory.html and  http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

4.yes some... but as noted above, lots of other things will make an even bigger difference so it's a personal decision regarding whether the expense is worth it to you

Edited by dredwards 2012-05-06 5:01 AM
2012-05-06 5:34 AM

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
4. Yes. Ignore the above. Whether at 16, 18, or 20 mph, a wheel cover will save you time, especially over a HIM. Is there lots of training you can do that will make as big a difference or more? Yes. But one does not impact the other, so you can do both. A wheel cover is one of the most cost effective aero purchases you can make. It is spot on to say that it's up to you whether or not it's worth the expense.
2012-05-06 6:43 AM

Pro
Baton Rouge area

My 2 cents worth:

1 - I have a little of this issue and the more I ride the less it comes up.  Happens more when I push past my comfort zone

2 - Time in the Saddle would probably help more.  One item, pacing in an HIM is very important.  If you are not avg 20mph now and your HIM is in the next few months, your goal of 20mph may not be the right strategy.  Riding slower and saving your legs for the run is a better bet.

3 - Sheldon (as mentioned above)

4 - Getting wheel cover for the rear will help, along with good tires and light weight tube.

2012-05-06 11:38 PM

Thanks for all the responses.  My HIM is Augusta in Sep so I have time.  I've only been training (on the bike) for two months thus far so I guess my current speed is to be expected.

I do plan to get a bike fit (retuel) so hopefully that will correct a few things.  The saddle is an Adamo Time Trial - the brackets are level but the seat has a slightly downward angle but that is the how the LBS said it is to be installed. 

I guess I will just continue riding and hopefully will see faster results in another two months.

As far as tires/tube, I just have what came stock

Edited by buzzyng 2012-05-06 11:39 PM

2012-05-07 12:16 AM

Master
University Park, MD

1. That's odd. Mention this to your fitter. Note, though, that the Adamo saddles are intended to be ridden on the nose rather than further back.

2. The bike splits at Augusta suggest that it's a reasonably fast course. But as others have said, it's probably better that you simply aim to improve your bike endurance and FTP rather than shooting for an arbitrary speed target. The key to a good HIM is being able to ride 56 miles quickly, but well within yourself, so that you will not crash on the run. When things fall apart on the run, huge amounts of time can be lost. To build your bike speed, don't worry about weight room stuff. You already have the leg strength to easily put out way more power than you need. What you need is the ability to maintain a good power for close to 3 hours. A mix of long rides with shorter interval workouts (with efforts of 10-30 minutes) should yield solid gains, especially if you're a relatively new rider. For flatter bike courses in particular, trainer workouts can be particularly effective, as they give you no time to coast. Try to build a structured bike program.

3. Your stock gearing should be just fine. No need to worry too much about that. Get comfortable riding in the 80-100 range, and find out where in that range you're more comfortable (some of us are more comfortable at lower cadences, some not). Once you have the feel of that, you simply need to ride in a gear that gives you that cadence. It's only if you're riding a really hilly route, or are on the heavy side, that you'd need to consider different gearing.

4. Disc covers are among the more cost-effective ways of buying time in a triathlon. They're far cheaper than aero wheels. An aero helmet also rates high in the bang-for-the-buck stakes.

2012-05-07 1:01 PM

Master
Denison Texas
buzzyng - 2012-05-06 1:39 AM

1 - when I ride on the trainer, I typically stay right in position (little movement).  However, whenever I go and ride outside, I always slide forward so much so that I can end up on the tip of the saddle and am constantly having to shift my weight backwards a little.  I've moved my saddle forward but it seems like it doesn't make much of a difference.  I can keep shifting it forward but not sure why it only happens when riding outside.

It sounds like "riding on the rivet"

From Wikipedia:

on the rivet
Describes a rider who is riding at maximum speed. When riding at maximum power output, a road racer often perches on the front tip of the saddle (seat), where the shell of an old-style leather saddle would be attached to the saddle frame with a rivet.

I do it too on hard rides, rarely on the trainer though. It may have nothing to do at all with fit or saddle position-it might even be normal.
2012-05-08 12:50 AM
in reply to: #4194150

Colin

Thanks for the points. 

I ride 3x a week, 60-90min (trainer) for the first two that are a mix of speed/spin and then a longer ride on the weekend (outdoors if nice).  I am following a HIM program out of one the Triathlete issues.

tx

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Collection of Cycling NOOB Qs Rss Feed