General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best women specific saddle? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-06 4:01 PM

User image

Utah
Subject: Best women specific saddle?

I have had my bike for 8 weeks.  I have a 2012 Trek Lexa SLX.  I rode on the saddle that came with it for the first 4-5 weeks, then I couldn't stand it anymore, and bought a Surfas Rx womens saddle thinking it might be better, and though it initially felt better, I actually ended up bruised from that one!  Any one else have one they can recommend for females? 

I have also heard several people who ride tell me it just takes tons of time in the saddle, and to just suck it up and eventually I will get used to whatever saddle I am using.  This may be true, but in the meantime, it is a major factor in how long, or how much I can tolerate even being on my bike. 

2012-05-06 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4193600

Subject: RE: Best women specific saddle?
Saddles are rider-specific that it's nearly impossible to make a recommendation. I currently use an Adamo racing saddle which I love but I know lots of women who tried it and hate it. I think the best advice is to go to a reputable bike shop with a "ride it and return it" policy and keep trying different saddles until you find the right one for you.

You might want to start with a Terry Butterfly which is very popular with women.
2012-05-06 4:24 PM

User image

Pro

trisports.com has a great demo program that lets you test saddles to find the right one for you. Local shops in your area likely have a similar program.

It's very rider-specific! Lots of people love the Cobb V-Flow, so I tried one. Made me go numb! 

2012-05-06 4:50 PM

User image

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA

I've ridden a men's Selle Italia for over 27 years.  When I first started riding they didn't make women's saddles.  Have had it on all my road bikes, tandem, and mountain bikes.  I recently treated myself to a new leather Diva model  http://www.selleitalia.com/se_it3/prodotti/road/pagina_diva/  a bit pricey, but you can find them discounted on line sites. Love it love it love it!  Felt comfortable the first day (although seemed a little wider than I'm use to and I'm a broad hipped women).

Definitely you have to try it and every saddle is personal. You also do have to "break in your butt" (or really your sit's bones), but it shouldn't be miserable to ride.  When you are building up your riding muscles, it shouldn't hurt on the initial ride, but when you try to ride the very next day, you may be a little tender.  Start with riding every other day. One thing I learned was to once I was conditioned to riding to never let enough time go by so that you had to "break it in again".  I took 5 weeks off after my first childbirth and 2 weeks off after my 2nd.

2012-05-06 6:22 PM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
Also a recommendation, I had a measurement of where my hip bones sit.  Literally how wide apart they are, and was able to get a saddle based on how I sit.  Haven't had an issue since, and agree, it is very personal.  I just walked into the local shop and asked them to measure it, and didn't cost me a dime.  
2012-05-06 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4193748

User image

ecozenmama - 2012-05-06 6:22 PMAlso a recommendation, I had a measurement of where my hip bones sit.  Literally how wide apart they are, and was able to get a saddle based on how I sit.  Haven't had an issue since, and agree, it is very personal.  I just walked into the local shop and asked them to measure it, and didn't cost me a dime.  
This. Anytime my bike was fit correctly and the saddle where it should be, I was in pain by the time I hit ten miles. The saddles were too narrow and too cushioned. Go get your sit bones measured, and go from there.

2012-05-06 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
I have the same bike as you do and I experienced the same problem with the seat.  As hard as I tried to toughen up my posterior, it wasn't happening.  I bought a Terry seat and the problem disappeared.  It was almost like magic. Laughing
2012-05-06 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran

not a female but get an adamo sadle...you wont be sorry

2012-05-06 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4193748

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

ecozenmama - 2012-05-06 4:22 PM Also a recommendation, I had a measurement of where my hip bones sit.  Literally how wide apart they are, and was able to get a saddle based on how I sit.  Haven't had an issue since, and agree, it is very personal.  I just walked into the local shop and asked them to measure it, and didn't cost me a dime.  

Can I ask how that distance is measured?  I am too afraid to go into a shop and have someone measure '' there''        ( I am male, but I don't think it really makes a difference )

thank you

kelly t

2012-05-06 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

They literally have a tool for this, that helps determine the saddle width for the rider.  Some shops have a Body Geometry Saddle measuring device.  It is literally a piece of cardboard over memory foam like material with a ruler.  There are countless ways I have heard of that you can do this at home!  It should be something that is part of a normal bike fitting.  

If the saddle is too small, it will force your sit bones over the edge, causing the "center" area to go numb. This is because your weight is not being supported by your sit bones.  If the saddle is too wide, it can cause chafing on the inner thighs. 

Edited by ecozenmama 2012-05-06 8:38 PM
2012-05-06 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4193866

User image

zaugfear - 2012-05-06 7:44 PM

not a female but get an adamo sadle...you wont be sorry

If you have very wide sit bones, just any adamo may not be wide enough for you.

2012-05-06 9:35 PM
in reply to: #4193899

User image

Master
Sin City
triosaurus - 2012-05-06 6:06 PM

ecozenmama - 2012-05-06 4:22 PM Also a recommendation, I had a measurement of where my hip bones sit.  Literally how wide apart they are, and was able to get a saddle based on how I sit.  Haven't had an issue since, and agree, it is very personal.  I just walked into the local shop and asked them to measure it, and didn't cost me a dime.  

Can I ask how that distance is measured?  I am too afraid to go into a shop and have someone measure '' there''        ( I am male, but I don't think it really makes a difference )

thank you

kelly t

Not that hard. You can do it yourself.

Get a damp paper towel. Place it on HARD surface. (I used my marble table for this). Put a blank paper on top of it (lightly).

Get naked (no lie, it's more accurate this way!).

Sit down on the paper. roll over to side just a little bit, but not much.  Your knees should be a little bit higher (as if you're sitting on a shorter chair. If you're a little taller, then don't worry about it). 

Get up, put your undies/pants back on. You should see two wet circles. circle it with a permanent marker. 

You want to measure the CENTER of the two circles from each other, AND measure the inner edge, as well as outer edge just in case.  IN CM!

That way you know what to shop for!

Specialized makes saddles of varying width for women, which I really like. 133 (yes some people have that!), 143 and 153 cm. 

Or take the paper and place it on top of various saddles and see where your sitbones lie.

Now - you have to figure out if you prefer T shaped saddles or Pear shape saddles. I'm a T-Shape gal. The gradual edge to the nose bothers me, and I have to have a narrow nose.  After 5 different saddles, I am loving my Specialized Jett.

Specialized Jett and Ruby are popular saddles among the ladies, as well as Selle Italia Diva, or Ldy (they both are different. The Ldy version is wider).    These are specifically for road bikes.

Good luck!

2012-05-07 12:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Thank you to both of you  for that info. I did not realize saddles came in differing widths...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best women specific saddle? Rss Feed