General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot pain after running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-14 2:50 PM

Subject: foot pain after running
Hi there! I just recently joined this site and find the information extremely helpful for my first triathalon (Danskin on 8/1). I have been running 3-4 miles, three to four times per week along with biking and swimming. I have always run this same distance (the biking and swimming is something new!) and my sneakers are approximately 4 months old. Today after running I am having some pain in my right foot along the outside between my heel and my toes. I am thinking that this is not plantar fascitis (which I have had years before) because its not directly on my heel. In addition to running/biking/swimming, I also take cardio kickboxing classes twice per week which is helping develop my upper body strength and it is a good cardio workout.

Any insight will be appreciated!!

2004-06-14 6:51 PM
in reply to: #31329

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: foot pain after running
Hmmm...I wouldn't think fasciitis either.  Interesting though!  Any previous injury to the area?  If it continues, get it checked out!  Stress fracture is a possibility. 
2004-06-14 7:32 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

If I understand you correctly, the area in question is along the outside edge of your foot?

You have 2 ligaments that run down your ankle and along the outside edge of your foot.  I know because I tore one of mine 2 years ago playing basketball.  My doctor set me up with orthotics to fix the problem (after I had the ligament surgically repaired!)

Do you feel that you place a lot of pressure on the outside edge of your foot when walking/running?

Dan

2004-06-14 7:57 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Another thought...

I had to loosen my laces some because I was having pain on the outside and inside of my feet. As it got hotter, my feet were swelling.
2004-06-14 8:15 PM

Thanks for your responses - I will try and loosen my laces and see if this works. I do believe I have a pronation problem and may need new sneakers. Thanks again!

Lisa
2004-06-15 4:21 PM

Connecticut
i'm no doctor,but i had the same sort of problem earlier in the season...after one day running, got home w/ sharp pains along the outside of my right foot...dr. thought it was a stress fracture - it wasn't, dr. thinks it was just some stretched ligaments...got some new sneaks and a bit of rest, mostly swam for about a week, hurt to put the foot in bike shoes! after about a week of rest went back out w/ no pain. hasn't come back!
hope its better quickly!
~liz
thinking about doing the danskin tri 8/1 - have you ever done it? will only be my 2nd one - competing w/ all women seems great...maybe i'll see you out there!

2004-06-15 5:48 PM

Saskatoon
Hey Lisa,

Have you tried orthotics to correct your pronation problem? Could be a number of things from stretched ligaments to a stress fracture.....if it persists, you may even want to get an xray to get a formal diagnosis and deal with it from there.

Heather

Edited by drbones 2004-06-15 5:49 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » foot pain after running Rss Feed