General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5th metatarsal stress fracture Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-16 4:12 PM

User image

Portland, Oregon
Subject: 5th metatarsal stress fracture

Hi all,

I got diagnosed with a stress fracture in my left foot this March. It's located in the 5th metatarsal (the outermost bone, right along the side of my foot.) It probably happened Christmas day (I noticed it aching a little after a long run) and of course I ignored it and continued training for, and then running, my first half-marathon on February 19th. Yes, I agree, that was kind of dumb.

But still, here it is, the end of May, and it's not even close to healed yet! I was in a knee-high orthopedic boot for 2 months, and have since transitioned to my sturdy running shoes (with new custom orthotics), but it takes only a little walking to cause it to start aching again. I'll have a few good days, think it's healing up, and do a little too much, and spend the next 2 days sore. I'm kissing my June triathlon goodbye, and just hoping I can pull off a July sprint (not the Oly I'd hoped for), but with only gentle swimming for exercise right now, I'm wondering if this tri season will be lost entirely?

Apparently, according to my MD husband, the 5th metatarsal is the slowest of the foot bones to heal...And I'm having a really hard time being patient!

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, and how long it took you to get back to normal?

2012-05-22 5:27 PM
in reply to: #4213641

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: RE: 5th metatarsal stress fracture
sorry you haven't gotten any replies yet. I got a 5th metatarsal stress fracture last winter, but fortunately my doc is also a triathlete and really encouraged me to keep my fitness level up with different activities, plus helped me feel like I'd be good as new in awhile.

Mine hurt/ached after runs for quite some time, which was kind of scary. But it went away quickly, and it never got to that sharp pain that let me know it was a stress fracture. Doc told me to expect a little ache as it adjusted to being better, but to gradually work up mileage, and to ALWAYS wear a supportive running shoe from now on. PLUS, I run on the softest surface possible, and really pay attention not to pronate or supinate - that torsion in the tendons on the side of your foot crank on that bone.

So, grass > dirt > asphalt > concrete

and build slowly...walking is fine and add running intervals.

that's what worked for me, but always follow your docs advice first, not some schmo like me on the internet!
2012-05-23 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4223772

User image

Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: 5th metatarsal stress fracture
Thanks for the feedback...My doctor put me in custom orthotics along with my sturdy running shoes, so I hope that means I won't go down this road again! I'll consider running on the soft trails in my city when I'm ready to go again!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5th metatarsal stress fracture Rss Feed