General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fun training spots on Maui and Kaua’i? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-17 9:51 AM

User image

Veteran
in the land of hills
Subject: Fun training spots on Maui and Kaua’i?

My husband and I will be in Hawaii for 10 days (2.5 days of this traveling), we leave the 27th. I have a sprint tri (500m OWS, 18 mile hilly bike, and 3.1 run) a week and a half after we get back. I would like to take this time to both enjoy the scerenity and get some OWS time in as well as running (my weakest discipline).

So any ideas on where to go? Also, I would like to get some biking in once or twice and I am not taking my bike. I would be interested in MTB or a road bike rental. Do I just check in with some of the local bike shops? The bike is my strongest leg of the race, so if I had to miss any of the three, this is the only one I could afford to cut back on.

Any tips and suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks!

2012-05-17 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4214742

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Fun training spots on Maui and Kaua’i?
Where are you staying in Kauai?
2012-05-17 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4214756

User image

Veteran
in the land of hills

Fmode11 - 2012-05-17 9:55 AM Where are you staying in Kauai?

We will be in Lihue for 5 days.

2012-05-17 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Ride from the beach to the top of Haleakala
2012-05-17 10:12 AM

User image

Pro
I'm sorry.....I look at Hawaii as one giant fun training spot. Laughing
2012-05-17 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4214795

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

JZig - 2012-05-17 10:09 AM Ride from the beach to the top of Haleakala

I had trouble just driving this ...  

2012-05-17 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

I was on Maui for a week last year. I'm pasting some info from "DiOnMaui" that she gave in answer to my inquiry. It's a bit hard to find (on the Hawaii forum, actually in a thread about the Tinman Tri), so I've copied it here with my comments in blue.

Here's some Maui info for you...

South Maui: I would stay at the Makena Resort or Wailea Marriott - great swimming at both beaches fronting those hotels (the Wailea Marriott is the host hotel for the South Maui tri in June).  Great runs and rides, too, nearby.  Check in at South Maui Bicycles for a bike.  Run/Ride out toward La Perouse Bay.

Those places were way out of our price range. We rented a small cottage at the north end of Kihei. But I did do some OWS at Makena Beach, in front of the Marriot. Nice beach, quite a few people, lifeguards, surf a bit high at times but that doesn't bother me. Ran in the neighborhoods nearby and out toward the bay. Ended up not renting a bike on Maui, but the shop is there. Also, there is a decent OWS beach right in Kihei town--you might see local athletes there. The first beach park as you head south through town. Very long stretch of water, fairly flat in early AM, fair visibility, good landmarks for sighting at each end, nice coffee shop and fish taco place across the street.

West Maui: Sheraton would be my pick. Kaanapali Beach on both sides of Black Rock are fabulous for swimming/snorkeling (especially the north side, which is less populated with visitors).  Ride out toward Kapalua on the upper highway - wide bike lanes and beautiful views.

Kaanapali Beach was my favorite place for OWS as water was very clear and there is reef very close to shore with tropical fish. But surf conditions really vary throughout the day and can be tough, even dangerous at times. There's a clear flow in one direction so out and back is a challenge. One day I was going to swim and had to bail, but had a great session with the boogie board instead! Finally called it quits when it got too wild even for that.

I noticed the water seemed colder on Maui than the other islands. I lived on Oahu for two years, swam or surfed several times a week, and almost never felt cold, ditto for trips to Kaui and the Big Island. But I was chilled after 20 minutes in Maui's waters. Almost felt like I needed a sleevless wetsuit. That being said, I'm skinny and very cold blooded. But quite a few snorkelers had them on. This may have been seasonal or weather-related; I don't know if it's true year-round.

Do note the surf conditions before going in. If you're not a confident swimmer, ask the guards (and make sure you swim at a beach with guards). I'm a strong swimmer with some previous OWS and body-surfing background, so I can "read" the water to some degree; if not familiar with it, definitely go in when surf appears flat, swim parallel to shore close enough to make a quick exit if conditions change.

Also, GoCyclingMaui (Donnie Arnoult) in Paia - GREAT road bike trips.

We didn't cycle but did go past the shop. Might be a good place to try if interested in the Haleakala ride. The scenery around Paia is to die for, even if you don't go all the way up the volcano. Also some great restaurants to refuel at.

Edited by Hot Runner 2012-05-17 10:24 AM
2012-05-17 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

We stayed in Poipu for 8 days last Summer. If you make down towards Poipu Beach there is great running along Lawai Rd and into/around/between the Sheraton/Grand Hyatt/Marriott. There is a small sub-division East of the beach that has some good hills. Also, all along Poipu Rd you have a generous shoulder that runners can be found on all during the day (I don't think anyone works around there).

If you head towards closer to Waimea Canyon (which is a must) there is great trails in the park. I encourage some hiking through the park on the dirt trails where we found plenty of "private waterfalls".

To the North is the bread winner trail - Kauai Multiuse Path along the Ka'pa Beach. Long winding trail along the ocean that can't be beat.

BUT - Whatever you do, do not miss the Napoli Coast boat tours. There are few different outfits that head out there. Do a full-day tour that serves foot/beverages. It was the highlight of trip!

2012-05-17 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
A sunrise run on the Kalalau Trail on Kauai is rather unbeatable.  Good climbs and descents, panoramic views of the Na Pali Coast, and not too busy in the early hours.  
2012-05-17 12:23 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I've been to Maui twice now. Both times I stayed in Lahaina. The route I travelled most was the West Maui loop (about 90km, I think). Travelled it both clockwise and counterclockwise. Actually got liking it counterclockwise to get the headwind over with first, but both were good.

Also did the East Maui loop, about (175km, I think). There's some dirt and beat up roads, but are rideable. Did it counterclockwise too, so headed out past Haleakala first and came back via the Hana Hwy. That seemed like the best way to do it. It was a beautiful ride, but a long day.

Also, you can climb Haleakala.

2012-05-17 12:34 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
As mentioned above, check out: http://www.gocyclingmaui.com/

I did the Haleakala ride a few years ago and, if you can do it, you really should take advantage of the opportunity.

Edited by Micawber 2012-05-17 12:36 PM

2012-05-17 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4214805

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Left Brain - 2012-05-17 11:12 AM

I look at Hawaii as one giant fun training spot. Laughing

That's what I was thinking

2012-05-17 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4214795

User image

JZig - 2012-05-17 5:09 AM Ride from the beach to the top of Haleakala

It's 10x more fun when you're doing it as a race.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=265654

But seriously, enjoy your time in Hawaii.  Get your training in when possible, but focus your stay on experiencing the islands.  I've lived here all my life (oahu) and have yet to experience all there is to offer on the other islands.  There's that much to do.

2012-05-17 1:29 PM

We stayed in Maui a couple of years ago and will be going back on the 28th of May for a 10 days this year. We stayed at Napili Shores on Napili Bay in west Maui. Great Beach to snorkle and swim in. I rented a road bike (Cannondale CADD9) from West Maui Cycle shop in Lahaina. I road the complete loop around west Maui (67 miles) a couple of times. The road gets interesting from Kapalua to Wailuka with many miles of short climbs. The road gets very narrow in places on that part of the loop. There are some great views that make it worth the ride. Be prepared to change out a few tubes. The sharp little lava rocks on the roads can cause a flats if you are not careful. There are several more roads that look interesting for bike rides. Plan on taking a few more of these on the next trip.

There are bike lanes on most of the major roads so it is not too bad to get around. There are a few areas that the traffic gets congeested on parts of the day.
2012-05-17 4:42 PM

User image

Veteran
in the land of hills

Wow, thanks for all the replies. What great information! Exactly what I was looking for

Errr, 10K ft climb? Ok, cycling is my stronger sport, but I must say not nearly that strong! I wish I had more incline to train with out here in theMidwest, but not so much. Kuddos to Jason for racing it though, that’s impressive!

And yes, I am quickly learning that the list of things to do out there are endless, almost overwhelming. Of course I want to go and relax, but I also want to have fun! And to me, fun is throwing in the s/b/r into one of the most beautiful places on earth. Seems to me that it would take multiple trips out there to really be able to embrace all that HI has to offer. Yeah, like I needed even more reasons to find my way there again

You guys are making it hard for a girl to get any work done around here with all this vacation daydreaming!

Thanks again!

2012-05-17 5:43 PM

User image

New user
I believe it's Anatole beach on Kuaii that is completely isolated from the open ocean by a wall of boulders. It's a "safe" place to snorkel and/or swim if the waves, tides, and sea monsters aren't your thing. There's also Poipu beach (South shore) and Hanalei Bay (North shore) that are tame waters. The trails at the end of the road on the north shore are generally used for hiking but I'm sure they'd make for a great trail run if you're so inclined.

Edited by R2K 2012-05-17 5:45 PM

2012-05-17 6:44 PM
in reply to: #4214982

User image

Master
Bedford, MA

yeats - 2012-05-17 12:10 PM A sunrise run on the Kalalau Trail on Kauai is rather unbeatable.  Good climbs and descents, panoramic views of the Na Pali Coast, and not too busy in the early hours.  

I've hiked the entire Kalalau trail twice, and it's the most amazing thing I've ever done. The first few miles are open to anyone, but the majority of the trail requires an overnight camping pass (which needs to be procured well in advance).

We've stayed on the north shore when there - in Princeville - and there are lots of nice beaches there. Tunnels beach is nice and great for snorkeling, and Hanalei Bay/Beach would be ideal for some OWS.

Enjoy the trip!

2012-05-17 6:58 PM

User image

Veteran

I stayed in maui and trained for the entire month of march, 2012.

In kihei, on a beautiful morning, go for breakfast at Sarento's on the Beach and checkout the amazing area to go open water swimming.

I rented a nice Trek bike at South maui cycles

http://www.southmauibicycles.com/

Wish i could go back!

2012-05-17 7:23 PM

User image

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA

My husband and I just got back Sunday from 11 days on Kauaii.  We have a Sprint tri this weekend.   We did an OWS every other day and ran on the opposite days.   We did our swim in Hanalei bay,  you can swim parallel to the shore and it is a good place to practice sighting.  We used the masts of the boats going north and the pier coming back south.  We got in about 1800 yards for each swim.  On the last day we did have some waves and current so that helped out our practice as well.

For running go early as it will get hotter as the day goes on.   We also did a LOT of hiking.   When we were training for one of our 1/2 marys last year, we were also in Hawaii just before and our running coach said strenous hiking would be as good as running.  We didn't feel like we had taken any training off but still had a fantastic vacation.

Our eating was healthy because of all the fresh fish and the local farmer's markets with fruits and veggies!

Enjoy.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fun training spots on Maui and Kaua’i? Rss Feed