EAFB Tri Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 36s
Overall Rank = 2/8
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

For my friday pre-meal I had the pepper spaghetti from Runner's World. H ad it for a late lunch and again for dinner. I took Thursday completely off as a rest day and did a run with pick ups on Friday. I woke up at 5:30 and I had breakfast at 5:50. I had a small bowl of oatmeal with a banana and a piece of toast. We arrived at 6:15. I got my transition area set up then went and talked to a few people and checked to see if they needed any more help with set up. After a restroom stop (the nice thing about pool swims is you don't have to use a port-a-potty) I started a warm-up at 7.
Event warmup:

I did a quick 5 minute run or so (about .4 miles). Then I went to warm up on the swim. I did 2x50, first one easy pace and next pretty fast, followed by a 100 at a steady pace.
Swim
  • 20m 45s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim felt really good. I feel like I paced myself really well and I didn't get too tired until the 750 to 800 meter point. By that point I felt I could mentally push through cause it was so short left. For the first 50 I did breathing every four strokes and the next 50 every three then every 2 strokes for the rest.
What would you do differently?:

Having Whit take pictures showed me a few mistakes. First, she caught me running into the dividing lanes. So I guess I still can't swim straight even in a pool. Next, my head looks really high when I am breathing so I need to work on that.
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

Due to the pool swim I kept everything off other than my tri shorts. So it took a while to put on timing chip, HRM, watch, shirt, etc. Pretty slow transition.

Get my shirt on the first time rather than getting stuck in it.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 33s
  • 26 miles
  • 19.61 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a good ride. I finished off one filling of my aero drink and that was plenty. That was all the nutrition I had on the bike. I still need to get better on shifting on hills. I was in aero position most of the race.

My aero bottle just about popped off when I was going over railroad tracks. I need to figure out how to secure it in place without the duct tape method I have been using. I also will not be using the oomph tri shorts for anything other than brick workouts. They didn't dry out til almost mile 20 and I had a mild version of a chili dog that was quite uncomfortable and kind of painful. I think I was so worried after the last race that I kind of held back and I think I can start to go a little harder on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

I definately endoed (sp?) when jumping off the bike. Due to uphill to the transition I decided not to do the flying dismount.

Would be faster with a flying dismount. Also pulled the beginner move not taking off my helmet before I took off for the run and had to turn back.
Run
  • 44m 31s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

#1 on the run! I had a small drink at every aid station (4) and dumped the rest on my head. I had a small pack of sports beans. They were ok but a pretty strong flavor and kind of wierd to chew while running. My pacing was really consistent and I still was able to push it to the end. The sprint to the end max pace of 5:43 min/mile. I came into the run in 5th place and passed 3 people on the run.

I stopped looking at HR data part way through the run and started just going on feel. I need to start doing that more often. I could probably have pushed a little harder, but it felt good. Also, when I lengthened out my stride I was heel striking really bad as shown by pictures.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't do very good post race. Mainly walked around talking to people. But when I got home I took an ice bath for 15 minutes and that felt great.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fear of crashing. I held back a lot cause of how I felt at the end of Rage. Hopefully this race will give me more confidence for longer distances.

Event comments:

It is a really small triathlon, with not a lot of people but it was a lot of fun. The volunteers were great and everyone made up for there not being a lot of people.

Last updated: 2012-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:45 | 1000 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 4/8
Performance: Good
Suit: Oomph Tri Shorts
Course: Oasis pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:33 | 26 miles | 19.61 mile/hr
Overall: 4/8
In 5 mile increments: Lap 1: 15:54 Lap 2: 15:29 Lap 3: 15:29 Lap 4: 15:27 Lap 5: 14:28 Avg Bike Cadence:83 Max Cadence: 101 Avg HR: 143 Max HR: 175
Wind: Little
Course: Course around EAFB. In and out of Airway to the gym to Rosemond to Forbes to Lancaster, to Rosemond (2 laps) and back to gym.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:44:31 | 06.2 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 1/8
I didn't get all the run, but these are the mile times I got. 1: 7:51 2: 7:48 3: 7:47 4: 7:41 5: 7:23 Avg HR: 170 Max HR: 185 Avg Run Cadence: 91
Course: Out and back twice on the bike path from the gym.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes