General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I sweat more than a two dollar (fill in the blank) on nickle night Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-24 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Subject: I sweat more than a two dollar (fill in the blank) on nickle night
What should I do? My last three longer runs in temps between 65-80 (relatively cool, right) I've lost an average of a pound every 15 minutes :-0 (measured weight at start and end, adding the fluids I drank along the way). I know it's not all water weight I'm losing, but I assume most of it is (maybe I underestimate how much weight can be lost to body heat). Nonetheless, at that rate I need to drink/absorb 64 oz an hour to maintain my weight - not gonna happen. I know a little dehydrated is okay, so let's say I can manage half (32 oz an hour). Over the course of my Ironman run, that means I have to drink a gallon of fluid (probably doable), but even at that rate, I'll lose 8 lbs - just on the run. Is there anything I can try/do? I've been wearing hats and running as much in the shade as possible.

2012-05-24 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4228023

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: RE: I sweat more than a two dollar (fill in the blank) on nickle night

That's funny.

According to your logs you're well seasoned.  A camel pack may be good for you.  With your condition all I can say is hydrate well.  Experiment with quantities.  You may be able to absorb more than a liter/hour.  Drink as much as you can and still stay below the nausea line. You probably won't be able to reach equilibrium of drinking/fluid loss but you can catch up in your off time.  Urine color is a pretty good guide to hydration = it should be clear enough that you could read a newspaper through it if you peed in a glass = just light yellow.  Sorry I got no silver bullet for ya.

2012-05-24 6:40 PM
in reply to: #4228023

Veteran
Waterloo, Ontario
Subject: RE: I sweat more than a two dollar (fill in the blank) on nickle night

I'm in your boat, and hope you find a better solution than I did - when I did a 70.3 last year in the summer heat, I drank 8L (4gal) over the 5 hours, but still ended up weighing in post-race 5-6lbs less than I did that morning.  Didn't pee once, and that post-race weigh-in included post-race food.  Also, I blew up on the run, but there's a possibility it was pacing-related.

I carried 2 frame bottles on my bike, 1 aero bottle (total: 2L), and refilled with about 1.5L on the course.  On the run, I partook in 1 water and 1 gatorade (assumed to be about 250-350mL total) at each of the 11 aid stations.  I also had a full bottle of gatorade during T1 and T2.  Post-race, I was pretty lightheaded and getting headrushes, which I fixed with more hydration.  It is possible I wasn't getting enough salt, but I wasn't getting cramps, I was just dead and hot.

During training, I've measured my loss rate at 2.0-2.5L/hr (1.3lbs/15 minutes) in summer temperatures, and my race was probably one of the hottest days all last summer.

Solution: I'm just sticking to short races from now on.

Edited by AHare 2012-05-24 6:45 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I sweat more than a two dollar (fill in the blank) on nickle night Rss Feed