General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calf pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-15 5:58 PM

Subject: calf pain
I have a question. I was running yesterday and felt a strain in my calf. I continued running (which I'm not sure is good or not) until I finished my 30 minutes. I then proceded to a pilates class which I thought might help me stretch it out. Well it's still nagging at me and I'm not sure if it's a muscle strain, a cramp, a sign that I shouldn't run or what. I was able to swim and bike today with very little discomfort, but am scheduled to run and do weights tommorrow and I'm not sure how to procede. Am I deficient of magnesium? Did I not stretch enough? Any thoughts?

2004-06-16 1:22 AM
in reply to: #31611

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: RE: calf pain
My advice, for what it's worth, is not to run anymore until the soreness goes away. It's likely a strain that would get worse and turn into a tear if you run on it before it's healed. Hope it gets better soon.
2004-06-16 1:27 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Agree with the previous post.  I have been trying to work my way through some calf pain for about 6 weeks now....I should have taken it easier when the problem 1st popped up.

Dan

2004-06-16 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT

I also agree.  My method is ice for 15 minutes, heat for 15 minutes, ice 15, heat another 15.    Then wait a couple of hours and repeat.  For minor muscle ache it works like a charm.

I also take motrin for the day to reduce any inflamation, but that's a personal decision.  Not everyone believes in pain meds.

Evelyn

2004-06-16 9:33 AM

Regular
Lancaster Pa
I don't know if you are male or female... but if you are on birth control pills it could be a clot. Check yourself for the homan's sign. If you flex your foot and have extreme pain in the calf it could be. It more likely is a strain/sprain. Use an anti-inflamatory for a week and baby it for a few days, be sure to stretch gently and often. Use the RICE method. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation when you have time. I also wouldn't tend to think that it would be your mag level... I would lean more towards potassium or sodium levels. Hope this helps in some way.
2004-06-16 11:09 AM
in reply to: #31719

Wow that was scary. Thanks for the tip. Lucky for me I'm no longer on the pill or you would have freaked me out. Thanks to all of you! I'm actually feeling better. I think it was just a little strain. I was able to run today and had no pain so I think I was just a little nervous about nothing. I'm also going to start taking some vitamins to hopefully help me with any vitamins or minerals I'm missing. Any suggestions?

2004-06-17 1:30 PM
in reply to: #31746

Regular
Lancaster Pa
The registered dietician I just saw said any multi-vitamin should do, she reccomended one from GNC.
2004-06-17 8:34 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Listen to your body! RICE as needed and stretching both for the inner and outer calf muscles.

I tore my calf muscle last year by not understanding what was happening or listening to my body. My calf was naggin me for weeks and biking wasn't helping. I kept up the running until on day, 1 mile from home, it spasmed so bad I thought I was going to cry, limping home hurt bad. One week later when it "felt better" I stepped out of the office to get a soda at the store down the street. I started to jog and POP there it went, I was devastated. I was lame for 8 weeks after that and did a lot of reseach on what happened to me.

If you can feel a knot, try and massage it. I also do hot tubs to relax my leg muscles before and after events. My wife says I must be the only husband in the world that likes it when she gets those bath relaxation gifts!

Don
2004-06-18 12:29 AM

User image

New user

If you do weights on your claf and a lot of bike, you are strenghtening your calf muscles, which is a good thing, however not coducive to good running, so stretch stretch then stretch some more but not until there isnt any pain in your calf as you dont stretch a calf with minute tears in it. two calf stretches are relevant. target the gastronemus (spelling?) and the soleus. any detaills just ask me
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calf pain Rss Feed