General Discussion Triathlon Talk » kinvara 2 vs. kinvara 3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-02 5:30 PM

User image

Subject: kinvara 2 vs. kinvara 3
Just wondering what you all think?? i used to run in the mirage but after putting more miles in i do not seem to pronate as much. So i am switching to the kinvara and was just wondering if getting the new kinvara 3 is worth paying for the new model? Thanks for the insite.

2012-06-02 5:39 PM
in reply to: #4241060

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: kinvara 2 vs. kinvara 3
I am a big fan of the 2's. I won a gift certificate and decided to get the 3's. The main difference I notice (other than the look) is that the 3s seem a little firmer. 
2012-06-02 5:45 PM

User image

Regular
I don't know anything about the 3's, but I'm on my second pair of 2's and really like them.  I recently discovered that you can get them at DSW for half the price.
2012-06-02 8:03 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

I've been running in the Mirage and of course they discontinue it and move to the Mirage 2.  I don't like it nearly as much. Upper does not seem as soft and sole feels less flexible...not a huge deal but the original Mirage was like wearing a slipper.  I was able to get a great price on a pair of Kinvara 2's and like them very much.  Not as much support as the Mirage but very similar to the Mirage...a little softer feel.  Did have a bit of an issue running sockless in the Kinvara 2 as they have different padding around the side of the foot in the heal area.    Can't help on the Kinvara 3 as I have stocked up on Mirage and Kinvara 2. Curious to hear what folks think.

Randy   

2012-06-02 9:28 PM

User image

Regular
WI

I was checking out the Kinvara 3 the other day.  The literature says they're using a slightly different material  that makes the more breathable.  To me the lining felt a lot softer than the Kinvara 2, which would make it easier to transition to sock-less running. 

Thanks for the tip on DSW...  I'm checking it out right meow. 

2012-06-02 10:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights
Just picked up some 3's this week and did a Sprint in them today. Maybe a slightly stiffer sole than the 2's, but in my opinion totally worth it for the new upper design. Super light, super open/vented, and very comfortable sans-socks if thats how you like to roll. I'm a fan!

2012-06-03 12:02 AM

Amigo, 

I've used both, and I'm trying to transition into the K3. They will feel amazing if you put them on. In fact its fantastic. There are plenty of differences between the two but the main things I have noticed it that the toe box is wider and that the flex-film? is a new thing for them. 

I thought that since the toe box would be wider that my foot would slip, that was countered by the flex film. The film seems to respond to any tightness in the laces and is able to counter the wider toe box. That's a major bonus if it is a concern. The heel cup was a little higher than the K2 so I suggest you use some lube on the back of your Achilles as they will probably give you blisters. But then again I dont wear socks. 

the ride is great, if your a neutral runner. I did find  that I felt more of the arc support more when I ran. Especially more than the K2. The feeling was similar to the KSWISS Blade light but I assume they designed that to support your foot later in a marathon. 

Overall it's an amazing shoe and if you're a fan of the K2 the switch should be easy!!

cheers!   

2012-06-03 10:58 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City
I am on my first pair of Kinvara 2's with around 350 miles on them now. I got to try on and run a few miles in a pair of 3's last week.  Great shoe. The upper is much better, the flex film seems to curve with your foot instead of creasing just below the lacing as most shoes do.  The sole is a little firmer (though that may be because I am comparing them to a pair with 350 miles on them) though more flexible.  I will get the 3's when I start to kill my 2's.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » kinvara 2 vs. kinvara 3 Rss Feed