Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-06-01 3:28 PM
in reply to: #440440

User image

Regular
Newton, MA
Subject: RE: how to become an early riser

I have never been an early riser until my daughter came along.  Now i'm up at 4a, but it's tough.  I agree with prep the night before....layout the clothes to workout and change in, pack the duffle bag, fill the water bottles, and go to bed early (9:30 for me).  It was VERY hard the first 6 weeks, but now it's just a routine.  About 10 weeks into it, i started eating PB on a slice of bread with OJ every morning and my workouts really started to improve.  At first i couldn't even eat that early...

IMO, the big benefit is race day.  It's just no big deal to wake up and be at checkin at 6a.  You're ready to go 

2006-06-01 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC

Get a dog.  Seriously, my dog wakes up at 4:30 in the morning and pokes me with her paws to wake up and give her a belly rub and take her for a walk.  Claws in the side are much more effective than an alarm clock because you can't turn them off without really waking up.

Some other things that might help:

Sleep with the blinds open.  Where I live, the sun comes up EARLY in the summer, and I find it hard to sleep with light in my eyes.  It's also nice to look out the window and see that the world is awake, so I should be too.

If you're not a hit-the-floor-running kind of person, don't force it.  Make it as easy on yourself as you can.  Get a programmable coffee maker and set it to just before your wake up time.  My husband has even decided to get one of those little one-cup coffee makers and put it on his nightstand so that he can have his first sips of coffee while still in bed and start waking up that way. 

I also find it helpful to have a special pre-workout snack or treat that I really like but can only have if I get up in the morning and eat it before my workout.  I leave it out on the counter the night before, and I know that a treat is waiting for me when I wake up.  Believe it or not, this actually helps me, but you may not be so treat-motivated.

2006-06-01 4:01 PM
in reply to: #440621

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
morey1 - 2006-06-01 1:11 PM

I also don't want to pass judgement on things I don't know for sure, but I gotta believe with this site/inspires, etc., you could find someone else in Phoenix freakin' Arizona that is into tri training.  Again, maybe I'm wrong but have you explored that fully? 

Yes, a training partner would be ideal. My boyfriend doesn't wake up early, and can't keep up with me anyway.

Most of the people live in the suburbs here, so it can be quite a drive to get out there and then to somewhere I can shower before work on the other side of town. I did that for a while, but it's such a production. I was driving about 100 miles a day for a while. You're right - I'm sure there are more people I can hook up, but that's not an immediate remedy - takes time to find good workout partners.

Phoenix morning people, stand up and show yourselves! :P

Edited by robin314159 2006-06-01 4:03 PM
2006-06-01 4:14 PM
in reply to: #440670

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

THAT's WHAT I'm Talkin' about....

Were you aware that there are state-specific forums on the site also?  Post a request in there...

I will admit living in urban Phoenix, given how spread out that city is, would be a challenge.  But, nobody said you could put triathlon training in a neat little box.  You've got it in you so just DO IT. 

2006-06-01 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Talk about your planned workouts at work, or with your friends and neighbors, or your spouse, or whomever you talk to regularly during the day. The next day, they may ask you 'how was your swim/bike/run this morning?' Knowing that they might be asking you might give you enough motivation to get up and do it. Otherwise you'll have to meekly acknowledge that you skipped the workout. Embarassing to admit.
2006-06-01 4:17 PM
in reply to: #440682

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
well actually refer to http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... ... I have posted!

morey1 - 2006-06-01 2:14 PM

THAT's WHAT I'm Talkin' about....

Were you aware that there are state-specific forums on the site also?  Post a request in there...

I will admit living in urban Phoenix, given how spread out that city is, would be a challenge.  But, nobody said you could put triathlon training in a neat little box.  You've got it in you so just DO IT. 

2006-06-01 4:22 PM

Veteran
Michigan

I have a wierd way of handling morning workouts...

I tell myself that 5:30am is just another time of day and I try not to even feed into the "oh, it's early morning" negative thoughts.  What is the difference between getting up at 5:30am or 7am?  It's really not that big a deal if you think about it.  Or at least that is what works for me! 

It probably helps that I go to bed earlier so I get a good amount of sleep and I just get up and go.  I also think of all the benefits.  I love the feeling of getting my workout in and having some time to myself before waking up the kids.  I love how quiet it is in the morning.  I love being out running or biking and waving to the others out doing the same.  I love how I feel all day when I do my morning workouts.  I just remind myself of all the positive things and it is much easier!

2006-06-01 4:33 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Maybe it had a big effect on me because I already felt this way, but reading Dean Karnazes' Ultramarathon Man:  Confessions of An All Night Runner really clarified this issue for me.  I used to understand that people thought I was nuts for getting up so early.  I've been leaving the house at 5am to go to work for 12 years.  Now that I've been getting up between 3:30-3:45 to work out first they really think I'm nuts. 

You know what?  I'm LIVING.  I'm enjoying my life.  This is what I want to do.  But I want to be with my kids and wife and be a good husband and father too.  So if this is what it takes and I can do it, then it's not nuts.  It's a balls to the wall commitment to live my life the way I want to live it.  Think like that and you won't be hitting the snooze when your alarm goes off.  You'll be lying there waiting 10 more minutes for you alarm to go off so you can get up because you GET to GET UP AND DO WHAT YOU WANT!

By the way, Morey1, easy for you to say up there in Muskego, the endurance athlete capital of the Midwest. [sarcasm/]

2006-06-01 4:35 PM
in reply to: #440699

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
hangloose, how much sleep do you get? Are you one of those people who can survive on 5-6 hours of sleep?
2006-06-01 4:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Carleton Place, Ontario
I've been reading a book about mental training for triathletes. One of the things I've started to do is to ask myself every morning "What can I do today to make myself a better triathlete?" I know it sounds corny but if I'm lying in bed thinking about blowing off my morning run, once I ask myself that question, I'm up and going. It has even gotten me out on rainy mornings so there must be something to it. ;-)

Edited by raebo 2006-06-01 4:52 PM
2006-06-01 4:47 PM
in reply to: #440450

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
coredump - 2006-06-01 1:04 PM

You have to develop the mental will to overcome the desire to stay in bed.

Some tips to help with that:

• Go to bed earlier. Develop a routine everynight so your body/mind knows when it is time to sleep.
  • Lay out all your clothes/gear for the morning workout. If you can mindlessly wake up and get dressed and out the door, it's easier.
  • Don't make excuses, just do it. Stop telling yourself you can't. Start telling yourself you can.

I highlighted what I consider the best advice......

When I go to my Masters swim class it is hilarious what the peeps do prior to just jumping in. Yes, you are going to be a little cold for about 10 seconds then it will get better... I just jump in without thinking about it ... saves me some time

I realize that has nothing to do with getting up early but it is the same principle...

Edited by Biseman 2006-06-01 4:48 PM

2006-06-01 5:58 PM

User image

Champion
I'm pretty sure you have to sell your soul to the highest bidder.  I've been getting up early for a few years now for my job, and I don't like it a single bit more now than when I started doing it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how to become an early riser Rss Feed  

of 2