General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how to become an early riser Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-06-01 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: how to become an early riser
Has anyone successfully made a permenant change from being a night owl / evening exerciser to being a before work exerciser on a very consistent basis? How do you make the change? I know the obvious is "get up in the morning", but after a day or 2, I always end up making an excuse and going back to sleep. Usually it's because I have to drive a ways to all my training sites, and it seems to require more effort than I have available that early in the morning.

Does anyone have any tricks?

PS - I know that meeting people in the morning is the best option. But that's not a possibility for me since I don't have any training partners, and don't know anyone who's on the same track as me. I'm kind of in this thing by myself.

2006-06-01 1:04 PM
in reply to: #440440

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: how to become an early riser

You have to develop the mental will to overcome the desire to stay in bed.

Some tips to help with that:

• Go to bed earlier.  Develop a routine everynight so your body/mind knows when it is time to sleep.
  • Lay out all your clothes/gear for the morning workout.  If you can mindlessly wake up and get dressed and out the door, it's easier.
  • Don't make excuses, just do it.  Stop telling yourself you can't.  Start telling yourself you can.

2006-06-01 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I find that the best way to get up in the morning is to do whatever sport is easiest. If I have to drive to the gym, it's not an option. I usually stick to running or biking in the morning. Anything that I can walk out the door and start doing right away is the only way I can get out of bed.

And, I don't wake up early every day of the work. Start slow with 1 or 2 days and then gradually add more mornings.
2006-06-01 1:10 PM

User image

Expert

Even though I am more of a morning person, I'm right there w/ ya.  In order to get my workouts in before work, I generally have to be up by 4 am, so I seem to miss quite a few workouts.  Setting the coffee maker to brew some joe at 4 am seems to help and so does sleeping in my workout clothes.  If I do it right and have all my stuff ready to go next to the door, I can wake up, brush my teeth, put in my contacts pour a cup of coffee and be out the door in 15 minutes.

It's definitely tough to say the least.

2006-06-01 1:12 PM

User image

Runner
I read that the best way to wake up earlier is to do it slowly, in 5 minute increments. Every coulpe of days, set your alarm for 5 minutes earlier.

I started riding my bike in to work, so that sorta made it easier for me. Oh, here's a good one... Drink a couple glasses of water before going to bed. The urge to pee will wake you up. Or, try putting the alarm clock further away from the bed, so that you have to physically get up to turn it off.

Best advice is to ease into the earlier time frame, especially if you are lacking outside help.
2006-06-01 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbia, MO

I am currently fighting the same problems.  I have small children that either don't go to bed or get up stupid early.  I try to get to bed before 10 most nights, but when the alarm starts getting pushy at 4:30 it is way too easy to just turn it off.  Sometimes I actually wake back up in time to get out the door and get a run in.  It is getting better though.

2006-06-01 1:19 PM

User image

Regular
Near Atlanta

IT IS EASY....

get a job in construction (either in an office or the field) and you'll become an early riser..

(our jobsites BEGIN swinging the hammer at 7:00am)

Getting to bed earlier is the best suggestion (you may want a TiVo to record all the great shows that come on after 9:00)

Good luck with it..     

2006-06-01 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

caffinated gu will help you once you are actually out of bed, but to get there ... put on workout clothes the MINUTE your alarm goes off. Harder to crawl back into bed with running shoes on.

And... just... do it. I know if I don't do a workout that I've mentally slotted for the morning, then I won't get it done. So when I'm lying in bed thinking about staying there, I remind myself of how much a slack-ass I will feel if I don't get up and do the workout. I think about how I will feel all day knowing I blew it off, and how stressed I will be if I try to cram it in anywhere else. You just have to do it. The same mental discipline that it takes to keep going in a race when it's 100 degrees and all humid and you're tired and you've flatted twice and you stomach is cramping and blah blah blah but you still keep going cause that the deal or to push through that fourth interval when three is all your body wants to do --- it's the same type of discipline that gets you out of bed in the morning when you'd rather sleep. It's a good thing to practice. I don't always want to get out of bed in the morning ... but I do want to get better at this sport.* So ...

*Of course, I slept in today. (cough)

2006-06-01 1:31 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
NOT AT ALL! I just can't get motivation early AM to w/o. I tried it a few times and my body is like "wtf are you doing to me right now!" I'll have to make a big effort to change this as I am going to train 3x day for the next couple of months, ouch! So keep posting suggestions, I'll need all
2006-06-01 1:32 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
It is easy after a few weeks IMO.  I no longer watch the TV shows 'everybody has to see'.  This is my chosen hobby now, my committment outside of work and family.  I actually enjoy the peace and quite outside at 4-4:30.  Great 'me' time.  This sport requires mental discipline.  Just use it as a way to work on that.
2006-06-01 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio
Make a workout date with a morning person.  Sure, it's easy to turn off the alarm and go back to sleep, but if you know someone else is counting on you, you're much more likely to make it happen.

2006-06-01 1:35 PM
in reply to: #440485

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Chippy - 2006-06-01 1:26 PM

caffinated gu will help you once you are actually out of bed, but to get there ... put on workout clothes the MINUTE your alarm goes off. Harder to crawl back into bed with running shoes on.

And... just... do it. I know if I don't do a workout that I've mentally slotted for the morning, then I won't get it done. So when I'm lying in bed thinking about staying there, I remind myself of how much a slack-ass I will feel if I don't get up and do the workout. I think about how I will feel all day knowing I blew it off, and how stressed I will be if I try to cram it in anywhere else. You just have to do it. The same mental discipline that it takes to keep going in a race when it's 100 degrees and all humid and you're tired and you've flatted twice and you stomach is cramping and blah blah blah but you still keep going cause that the deal or to push through that fourth interval when three is all your body wants to do --- it's the same type of discipline that gets you out of bed in the morning when you'd rather sleep. It's a good thing to practice. I don't always want to get out of bed in the morning ... but I do want to get better at this sport.* So ...

*Of course, I slept in today. (cough)

That's THE best reason! I am sold, I'll begin my AM workouts as of Monday Thanks for the reminder!
2006-06-01 1:36 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Oh yeah, make sure you lay out your stuff the night before so you dont stumble around wasting workout time in the AM.
2006-06-01 1:52 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Set the alarm for the same time every morning.
Get out of bed when the alarm goes off.

What do you mean "I have to drive a ways to all my training sites..." ? I keep my running shorts and running shoes in my bedroom. I can be up, dressed, and exercising in 5-10 minutes and don't start the car for another hour or more. Biking? The bike stays downstairs, but I can still be out exercising within 10 minutes. Early morning, the roads and sidewalks are usually pretty quiet.

Find a training partner (go hunt around, and you might surprise yourself with how many other people are doing this triathlon thing). Your training partner can be faster or slower than you, but they should be consistently on-time. (You could meet at X:XX and head out for separate runs/rides.) Once you are there, it'll be much easier to do your workout.

Use the carrot/stick approach. Either get up and work out early, or suck it up and do the workout during the hottest, sunniest, busiest part of the day. What???You don't want to be seen in public sweating profusely...? It can be awfully easy to convince yourself that you'll "wait 'til it cools down..." but how consistently do you work out right before bedtime? If you are like me, you'll end up not working out later in the day either...

2006-06-01 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Sometimes you just gotta do it....

It's like Chippy said. I wanted to get better, but I started out this sport not knowing how to swim.  The swim coach that I had could only see me at 7 in the morning, at ASU, so I got up to see him at ASU.  Then I switched to masters, which was at 6.

Then I wanted to get better on the bike.  In the summer, as you know, if you're not up and out the minute it gets light, it will be too hot.  Ditto on running in the summer.

For me, when I first started the early workouts, I had a full time job and one child still at home.

Before I took up this sport, I was not a morning person.  I never knew a person could sleep and swim, but I swear I've done it.  I don't really like it, but I do like the fact that the workout is done.

Lay out your stuff, have a quick coffee and get out of the door before you have time to think!

2006-06-01 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

I have gotten out of bed more often in the last 3 months to go swim than I have for any other reason in the past 5 years.

The pool I swim in has lap swimming from 6:00 AM - 8:00 AM, 11-2 and then again from 7:30 to 9:30 PM.  If I want to see my wife and kids I either get up or not see them until who knows when.  If I swim until 9:30 at night, kids will be LONG asleep by the time I get home.  (Pool is 30 minutes from the house on the way home from work.)  So I have elected on several occations, to get my tired butt out of the soft warm bed and go swim.

Now that it is getting light sooner, I can bike but even that is pretty hard.  6:00 - 7:15 AM shower and hit the road.  Work starts at 8:00, and it is a 45 minute drive.

Now don't get me wrong, but coffee prior to a workout is a BIG no-no.  It drys you out, and limits your ability to get the hydration you need.  Water first THEN coffee after the shower.

Edited by wsm9363 2006-06-01 2:12 PM

2006-06-01 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

I discovered that my run times are better in the AM.  I consider myself a night owl, so this was a huge revelation.  I agree with the above.  Set out clothes, brew a pot of coffee, and just walk out the door without too much himming and hawing. 

2006-06-01 2:19 PM
in reply to: #440519

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

McFuzz - 2006-06-01 11:52 AM

What do you mean "I have to drive a ways to all my training sites..." ? I keep my running shorts and running shoes in my bedroom. I can be up, dressed, and exercising in 5-10 minutes and don't start the car for another hour or more. Biking? The bike stays downstairs, but I can still be out exercising within 10 minutes. Early morning, the roads and sidewalks are usually pretty quiet.

I live downtown in the middle of a huge sprawled out city. So sure, I can do a few workouts from my house. But with the amount of crazy traffic and lights there are downtown (even early), I find it necessary to drive somewhere safer. Plus I'm doing hill workouts, and the closest hills in Phoenix are the mountains around town, the closest which is 25 minutes away.

Thanks for all the good tips so far. It does seem the hard part is always getting the ball rolling. It was the same way with losing weight a few years ago - I tried and tried, and finally stuck to a diet. But just trying to establish that initial history of success is waht I need to get rolling. After that, it then becomes hard to mess up the good thing you have going.
2006-06-01 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Vancouver, WA
i usually tell someone what workout i'm doing the next am (usually someone i work with, or my boyfriend who is training as well at different times), and if i'm lying in bed thinking about whether or not to do the workout, i do it because i know that person will ask me about my workout, and i'd rather proudly tell them the results than slink away and quietly admit that i didn't do it.

writing it down ahead of time helps too, in pen, because it's right there staring at you if you didn't do it, but if you did it, you cross the workout off with a nice victorious line.
2006-06-01 2:48 PM
in reply to: #440570

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
So the points I'm getting:

1) Get up because you have no other option

Doesn't hold true for me - I can get stuff done in the evening, it just sucks to do it then due to the heat.

2) Prepare the night before

I can see the necessity of this, and will definitely start doing this.

3) Use waking up aids

I like the idea of the caffeinated Gu. Bfast and some boost in the same shot. Caffeine doesn't physically wake me up, but it'll be a mental boost. I also might figure out how to program my coffee maker and see how it works out. (The poo situation and all.)

4) Have social accountability

I'll get out of bed to workout if Jorge does.

5) Make the workout simple

I guess I shouldn't drive to S. Mountain to do my hills workout in the morning. Swimming and running probably be easier (but safer to bike in morning than evening...)

6) Don't give yourself a chance to think about it

I like the sleeping with the bike shorts idea. The alarm clock is already across the room. It's not getting out of bed that's the problem, it's going from there.

7) Get more sleep

I'll have to figure this one out. Just not enough hours in the night.

8) Ease into it

I've never eased into anything, not my style. I jump in head first or don't do it at all.

Thanks for the encouragement! Check my log to see that I'm doing this please. I think I can do it, jsut need some momentum.
2006-06-01 2:55 PM
in reply to: #440585

User image

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Did you ride in the heat last summer?  If you have to make a drive with your bike, could you make it the weekend to make it easier.

I can't stomach gu in the morning.  And I know about the dehydration effects of caffeine, but I have to get things going in the morning and a little cup does the trick.  I then make sure to start drinking once out on the bike.

You've gotten some good advice, I'll be checking in on you from time to time to see how it's going.

Good luck, you can do it and a year from now, you'll wonder why you ever thought it was hard ;-)

2006-06-01 3:01 PM
in reply to: #440596

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Yes, I did ride, run in the heat last summer, and I fried my brains out doing it. I remember one 3 hour ride where I stopped 3 times to completely refill both of my water bottles. That's what, about 160 oz of water? (Probably worked otu to about 120 oz consumed.) Brutal.

Edited by robin314159 2006-06-01 3:02 PM
2006-06-01 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Good luck! There is something SO AWESOME about getting to work and having your w/o in the bag. I also really like it cause it gives me time first thing in the AM that is all for me ... something gets done before I get to work, so work doesn't feel like it monopolizes my whole day.

We'll be checking in ...

Edited to add:

Heh. I just looked at my log for this past week, and here is an entry from Tuesday:

reasons I love working out in the AM: That shocked mind/body delay when you start moving and your mind is "Whaaaa? We were sleeping? Can we still be doing that?" but by the time your mind convinces you to stop, it's too damn late and you're halfway through the workout so you might as well finish.

How fitting

Edited by Chippy 2006-06-01 3:08 PM
2006-06-01 3:11 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

I agree with what has been said.  I'll just give you a point of reference...

One station  here has a 9pm nightly news CST that lasts an hour.  I RARELY see more than 15 minutes of the 9PM newscast.  I've seen the Tonight Show/Letterman COMBINED probably less than 20 times IN MY LIFE.

My "night owl" neighbor's 3rd grader goes to bed later than I do.   They're barely eating dinner by 8pm.  I don't know what time you go to bed, but please realize that this is a lifestyle adjustment on both ends.  You can't just fart around until midnight and expect your morning effort to be successful.

I also don't want to pass judgement on things I don't know for sure, but I gotta believe with this site/inspires, etc., you could find someone else in Phoenix freakin' Arizona that is into tri training.  Again, maybe I'm wrong but have you explored that fully? 

2006-06-01 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa

I'm in the "get a training parter" group.  This has helped me make the transition.  Knowing someone is waiting for me get's me up and going.  Especially if they're waiting on me for the ride :-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how to become an early riser Rss Feed  

of 2