General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you taper/ how do you taper for your "B" races? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-04 7:09 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: Do you taper/ how do you taper for your "B" races?

My A race this year was the USA RNR marathon and I DNF'd (as many of you know). I ran my "redemption" marathon and finished .. it wasn't a stellar race and I think I peaked for the first marathon, but I did it and I'm moving on ..

I have a couple 10 milers and a couple half marathons on my schedule for the rest of the season/ year. I'm not following a plan -- just running every day and trying to do a "long-ish" on the weekend. I've run every day since May 9 Laughing .

How would you taper for 10m/ half marathon? Just cut down on the mileage the week of and week before? I usually adhere to a strict training plan so I've never had to think for myself before Tongue out

TIA!

Edited by trishie 2012-06-04 7:11 PM

2012-06-04 7:43 PM
in reply to: #4244548

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Do you taper/ how do you taper for your "B" races?

I slightly cut my miles down the week before my race and the week after and that was about it.

Of course this is going to come down to your goals, per usual. I simply don't have much wiggle room to do a real taper for a "B" race and was/am OK with that. 

I could definitely tell that my legs were heavy and not up to par so to speak but if you accept this ahead of time it's no big deal. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-06-04 7:44 PM
2012-06-04 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4244548

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Do you taper/ how do you taper for your "B" races?
Just cut back on the miles in the few days leading up to the race. More or less, depending on how much you feel the need for a break, and how important the race is to you. With the run frequency you've been doing in the past few months, your body should recover pretty quickly with a couple/few easy days.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you taper/ how do you taper for your "B" races? Rss Feed