General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seeking hilly bike routes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-08 12:38 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: Seeking hilly bike routes

I'm training for the Garrett Co Gran Fondo in late June, in the far western tip of Maryland. I think some of you have done this before, and all indications are that it's an real climb-fest (125 miles, 16,500' climbing). I'm looking to find some really hilly routes to do some training on, without driving all the way out to Western MD. The best that I have found so far is to wind around the Catoctins above Thurmont. It's possible to get some long-ish climbs there, though there doesn't seem to be a lot that goes above 10%. Any ideas? Thanks!

2012-06-08 5:22 AM
in reply to: #4251126

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Seeking hilly bike routes
From the DC area, it's just over an hour to the north entrance of Skyline Drive.  You'll get the advantage of a bike-friendy-ish environment plus probably fellow cyclists all over the place.  Not sure what the top grade is but I'd think it's higher than 10%.
2012-06-08 6:06 AM
in reply to: #4251182

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

jmhpsu93 - 2012-06-08 6:22 AM From the DC area, it's just over an hour to the north entrance of Skyline Drive.  You'll get the advantage of a bike-friendy-ish environment plus probably fellow cyclists all over the place.  Not sure what the top grade is but I'd think it's higher than 10%.

Is Skyline drive in VA at Shenendoah National Park? If that it what you are referring to then I would second that suggestion. I was there over memorial day weekend on a camping trip and noticed a lot of cyclist going up and down the mountains. I am not sure what the grades are but it was about 3,600ft elevation where we were staying and I dont think we were the highest point. My girlfriend and I noticed all the cyclists and thought it would be a great/beautiful place to train (when I get in shape enough to do that elevation lol).

2012-06-08 9:02 AM

User image

Master

Looking at the mapmyride route for the GF it looks like as a sustained climb most are below 6% except for one climb at 6.5% .. doesn't mean there are not pitches that get up to 8-12% but nothing for more then .5 of a mile.

With that I can tell you there are some long steady climbs in frederick, and there are some steep climbs. This ride, will beat you up.. ~8000ft in 67 miles .. many other variations.

Also skyline is hilly but in the 3-5% grade for long stretches. (somewhat like the listed climbs on mmr) if you want steep go up and down the mountain on the sides..  not many places for that.. around luray, but if you get as far as the blue ridge parkway there are super steep climbs around waynesboro.. vesuvius is one of the steepest around MD/VA

2012-06-10 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4251515

User image

Master
University Park, MD

FeltonR.Nubbinsworth - 2012-06-08 10:02 AM

Looking at the mapmyride route for the GF it looks like as a sustained climb most are below 6% except for one climb at 6.5% .. doesn't mean there are not pitches that get up to 8-12% but nothing for more then .5 of a mile.

As is often the case, I gather that mapmyride is underestimating the climbing involved, to the tune of around 6,700'. I haven't seen the Gran Fondo route, but the many reports that I've read suggest that a number of the climbs are stiffer than that. A few 10-12% pitches would be fine, but the reports from strong climbers suggest more than that. I guess I'll know in a couple of weeks.

With that I can tell you there are some long steady climbs in frederick, and there are some steep climbs. This ride, will beat you up.. ~8000ft in 67 miles .. many other variations.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. It has about the same amount of climbing per mile as GCGF. I think I'll give it a shot sometime in the coming week.

Also skyline is hilly but in the 3-5% grade for long stretches. (somewhat like the listed climbs on mmr) if you want steep go up and down the mountain on the sides..  not many places for that.. around luray, but if you get as far as the blue ridge parkway there are super steep climbs around waynesboro.. vesuvius is one of the steepest around MD/VA

Those are a little far afield for right now. But they look like something fun to try out in the future. Again, thanks for the tips.

2012-06-11 12:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
colinphillips - 2012-06-08 1:38 AM

I'm training for the Garrett Co Gran Fondo in late June, in the far western tip of Maryland. I think some of you have done this before, and all indications are that it's an real climb-fest (125 miles, 16,500' climbing). I'm looking to find some really hilly routes to do some training on, without driving all the way out to Western MD. The best that I have found so far is to wind around the Catoctins above Thurmont. It's possible to get some long-ish climbs there, though there doesn't seem to be a lot that goes above 10%. Any ideas? Thanks!

I trained for Savageman (which is in the same area as Gran Fondo) last year by riding in the Catoctins/South Mountain areas north, west, and southwest of Frederick. I actually did most of the one Felton mentioned from the Frederick Bicycle Coalition. I did it a bit differently, though, going up Hells Delight and also up 550 as well. You can check out my routes which should be public. Search on Middletown or Frederick. My two hill routes have Gambrill in the title, though there a couple of others which might offer a challenge.

Roads with hills in the area: Park Central, Coxey Brown (tough climb!), Harp Hill, Hell's Delight, 550 (traffic out of Thurmont), Catoctin Hollow, Hamburg, Shookstown, Garfield, Wolfsville, Reno Monument, Raven Rock (though more of a steady gradual climb), 77 (traffic out of Thurmont), Mt Tabor. There are a few others, but those are the main ones that I know of.

Feel free to check my log about the 67 mile hillfest on Sept 2, 2011. Good luck!

Edited by sbrdave 2012-06-11 12:35 PM

2012-06-11 8:24 PM

Listening to mapmyride's elevation assessment in this region would be one way to severely underestimate what is coming your way.  Let's put it this way.  Killer Miller on the SavageMan course.  A very well known climb for being ~15% for the better part of a mile.  That is included in the Gran Fondo and is just a minor blip on the day's elevation profile and is a very forgettable and non-noteworthy climb of the Fondo.  Bowman Hill.  That'll be a new one to folks only familiar with the SavageMan route.  Over 800 feet gain in 1 mile.  What's that for average percentage?  I'm pretty sure >6.5%.

Trust me.  The route is a monster and you will want every gear you can get your hands on.  MapMyRide is leading you astray here.

2012-06-16 6:39 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

Thanks again for the tip. I tried out the Catoctin Climbing route linked above today, as my tune-up/dose-of-terror ahead of next week's GCGF. It certainly qualifies as a hilly route, and it seems to be well known - I passed some other guys who were out riding the same route today. The ride has 3 big climbs of around 1000' in the first 30 miles. For those, I was thinking, "these are big, but there's time to recover and they're not so bad." There are some other serious lumps scattered in the ride; climbs that you don't really notice when looking at the ride profile, but certainly do notice when you reach them, and they wear you down. But the kicker is the 4 hard climbs in a 13-mile stretch late in the ride, finishing with what seemed to be the hardest one of all, Coxey Brown Rd. There were a few pitches on that one where I was out of the saddle and working quite hard to keep the pedals turning. 

At a minimum, this route gave me more respect for what lies ahead next week.  

My other observation from the day is that VO2max intervals on the trainer are the best way to prepare for these without leaving the city.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Seeking hilly bike routes Rss Feed