General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless pedal and shoes?????? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-02 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: Clipless pedal and shoes??????

Okay, so I was just at my LBS and the guy there told me that I would improve significantly if I got cabon soled shoes and clipless pedals, by as much as 1 - 2 mph.  I have a question:

1 - Is that true, if not, what is realistic - my normal avg is around 19.5 - 20 mph

2 - what is the best tri specific shoe for the money

Thanks

Benihana

2006-06-02 1:51 PM
in reply to: #441552

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Clipless pedal and shoes??????

Clipless pedals are the best investment you can make on your bike to improve efficiency/speed.  Don't know if 1-2mph is accurate, but it will help.

Carbon-soled shoes are supposed to provide better energy transfer from foot to pedal, but most of the advantage can be realized just be getting the pedals and a pair of shoes that fits.

As above, the best tri-specific shoe is the one that fits your foot.

2006-06-02 1:52 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia, PA
Just know that I am an extreme beginner, but from the experience I've had with clipless pedals and shoes, I would say that what the guy at the LBS told you is correct, not sure about mph, but you will be more efficent on the bike with them rather than without.

Having the clipless pedals and shoes really make it so much easier to stay in the "circular" motion which will give you the maximum performance when riding the bike. We all know how to ride a bike but when it comes to really getting into serious biking you want to make sure your legs are moving in a circle motion rather than moving up and down like pistons, and personally without the clipless pedals and shoes its very hard to keep the correct form while on the bike.

Hence if you don't have the correct form your going much slower and burning much more energy if you are going to do Tri, I would recommend getting the clipless pedals and a good pair of shoes. Hope that helps.

Edited by TianJohns 2006-06-02 1:53 PM
2006-06-02 1:57 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I'm new to clipless and have only worn one pair of shoes but I really like my ________.

See, it doesn't matter because they are your feet.  I went to a LBS and tried on a bunch.  I was surprised to find out that:

1.  Only one brand felt comfortable on my feet, the other two they carried were painful - and I would have ordered one of those if I hadn't checked it out first.

2.  The sizing conversion would not have worked for me.  I was able to figure out what size was just right for me.

Then I went home and ordered the shoes from Trisports.com with my BT discount.  I love 'em.

p.s.  I went with $25 Motobecane pedals from Ebay but spent over $100 on the shoes because I figured that comfort was most important.  Turns out the pedals are great for me too, they have more than enough float for me which seems to be a big thing people rave about in more expensive pedals.  I don't consider the weight difference much of a consideration. 

2006-06-02 2:35 PM
in reply to: #441578

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
hangloose - 2006-06-02 1:57 PM

I'm new to clipless and have only worn one pair of shoes but I really like my ________.

See, it doesn't matter because they are your feet.  I went to a LBS and tried on a bunch.  I was surprised to find out that:

1.  Only one brand felt comfortable on my feet, the other two they carried were painful - and I would have ordered one of those if I hadn't checked it out first.

2.  The sizing conversion would not have worked for me.  I was able to figure out what size was just right for me.

Then I went home and ordered the shoes from Trisports.com with my BT discount.  I love 'em.

p.s.  I went with $25 Motobecane pedals from Ebay but spent over $100 on the shoes because I figured that comfort was most important.  Turns out the pedals are great for me too, they have more than enough float for me which seems to be a big thing people rave about in more expensive pedals.  I don't consider the weight difference much of a consideration. 

Did you see any significant speed increases over using running shoes??

2006-06-02 2:47 PM
in reply to: #441634

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
benihana - 2006-06-02 2:35 PM

Well, at the same time I also went to aero bars and trained a lot over the winter so I don't know how much of a speed difference I can attribute just to the shoes/pedals.  I'll say this much (just my opinion on what's working for me).  I hate being on my wrists for a long period of time on the bike so the aero bars not only put me in a better position to ride faster but allow me to ride for longer periods of time.  When I lay down in aero I just feeeeel the difference.  I don't feel it like that with the shoes/pedals.  I know they make a difference, I just can't explain it like I can with the aero bars.  I'm still a masher (form wise not gear wise) so I try to concentrate on the full pedal stroke and that's when I notice them the most, but when I ride and my brain wanders (frequently) I don't notice them at all and I think that is a sign of how much they help.  I don't know whether I would rank one change above the other, I think you should do both if you can. 

2006-06-02 2:54 PM
in reply to: #441653

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
hangloose - 2006-06-02 2:47 PM
benihana - 2006-06-02 2:35 PM

Well, at the same time I also went to aero bars and trained a lot over the winter so I don't know how much of a speed difference I can attribute just to the shoes/pedals.  I'll say this much (just my opinion on what's working for me).  I hate being on my wrists for a long period of time on the bike so the aero bars not only put me in a better position to ride faster but allow me to ride for longer periods of time.  When I lay down in aero I just feeeeel the difference.  I don't feel it like that with the shoes/pedals.  I know they make a difference, I just can't explain it like I can with the aero bars.  I'm still a masher (form wise not gear wise) so I try to concentrate on the full pedal stroke and that's when I notice them the most, but when I ride and my brain wanders (frequently) I don't notice them at all and I think that is a sign of how much they help.  I don't know whether I would rank one change above the other, I think you should do both if you can. 

I already have aero bars and have removed all of the spacers from my front end...I think that helped quite a bit, especially going into the wind

2006-06-02 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
I got a new bike and new shoes last year. A couple of points to make.

1) The new bike has not necessarily made me faster on the bike leg versus my 20 year old bike with flat pedals (no cages or clips). But I am exponentially fresher when I start the run. There is more than one effect to improved equipment.

2) Pedal efficiency improves over time when using clipless. It takes the body some time to learn the new motion and do it efficiently. If you've been only hammering with the downstroke, the hamstrings, in particular, take some time to develop for full circular motion.

Overall, I doubt that you'd get 1-2 mph improvement from shoes. At least at first. But thats not to say that you would'nt benefit from it. You will benefit. It just might not be how you expected it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless pedal and shoes?????? Rss Feed