General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint, wetsuit or no wetsuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-10 9:34 AM

User image

Subject: First Sprint, wetsuit or no wetsuit?
It's only 500m, and I'm not really sure it's even worth buying a wetsuit for this race. Maybe if I do more tri's I'll invest in a nice one. I do find "shortys" pretty cheap on ebay, but their not tri specific wetsuits.

I welcome any opionions or suggestions for this newbie.

2012-06-10 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4253829

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: RE: First Sprint, wetsuit or no wetsuit?
pbpunisher - 2012-06-10 9:34 AM

It's only 500m, and I'm not really sure it's even worth buying a wetsuit for this race. Maybe if I do more tri's I'll invest in a nice one. I do find "shortys" pretty cheap on ebay, but their not tri specific wetsuits.

I welcome any opionions or suggestions for this newbie.

I am a newbie too so take this with a grain of salt. I think it really depends on the water temps. If the water temp is below about 68 (that's my too cold temp) then I'd wear a wetsuit. Anything above that temp for me the wetsuit wouldn't be worth it. The time savings on such a short distance would get eaten with the time for me to get the wetsuit off. Of course I'm slow anyway so saving even a minute or two (and it wouldn't save that much time) wouldn't really change much in my race.

The only other thing that would be a factor to me is your swim skills. If you need the wetsuit for swim help that's a different story. Although I'll say if anyone needs a wetsuit just to swim 500m - they probably need more swim time before doing a tri. Thats just my opinion.

So I'd say if the water is warm enough - skip the wetsuit. But like I said I am way too new to really know from experience what I'm talking about- lol.

Good luck with your race,

Shelly
2012-06-10 11:13 AM

User image

I too am a newbie. Have not done my first tri yet, it is in one week.

Anyway, I rented a wet suit for my tri, and have had two swims with it already. Aside from helping you stay warm, it feels like cheating when I wear it.

The buoyancy you get with a suit is amazing. Swimming seems faster, easier, and much more efficient. Just my 2 cents for your consideration.

I rented mine at     wetsuitrental.com              They were great. I am a clyde and with my description they got the size right first time. They ship the suit about a week and a half before your tri so you can use it once or twice. If it doesn't fit they will immediately ship another one so you will have it for your race.

Just FYI

2012-06-10 11:14 AM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
If you do not have one already, I would not purchase one specifically for this distance.  If you have one, and it is wetsuit legal, wear it as I feel you will gain more time than it will take to get it off in T1.  If you practice transitions you can get wetsuit removal down to pretty much a science.  I figure it only costs me about 15 seconds at most in transition to get my wetsuit off and that is if I get it stuck on a heel during removal.  I am not a great swimmer so it saves me quite a bit of time/100, probably 5 seconds/100.
2012-06-10 11:39 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
I would agree with making the decision based on water temps. However, if you decide to get one, don't buy the non-tri specific, they are not made to allow for the range of movement for swimming.  There are online companies and some tri, running and bike shops that rent tri wetsuits.  
2012-06-10 2:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My line of thinking is - if you have a wetsuit and you're allowed to wear it do so.  Removing it isn't that hard and the time savings are "free speed".  It's not cheating if you're allowed to use it.

2012-06-10 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

If you're not sure to do more, not worth it. Everyone's time saving is different but let's say 10sec/100m. On 500m it may save you a 50 second, minus the 20-30 seconds to remove it first time around

If you do buy one, buy one that is Open Water swimming/tri specific, not a diving or surfing wetsuit.

Make sure the size is perfect. Too big, it fills with water. Too small it restricts movement

If you plan to do tris and live in a place where several are wetsuit legal, a wetsuit is an investment.

Maybe try renting ?

2012-06-10 3:18 PM

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN

I wouldn't waste time with one for 500m.

Maybe if you're doing longer distance or the water is really cold

2012-06-10 10:54 PM

Veteran
Indiana

I'd hesitate to purchase a wetsuit until/unless you know you are going to be doing more tris. It certainly isn't necessary except for cold water swims.

I do think the speed advantage is "worth it," even for a 500m swim. I take the upper half of the wetsuit off while I'm running to the transition area, and probably only takes me another 5 seconds to get my legs out (Pam cooking spray on the calves/ankles/shins and forearms works wonders!). For an average swimmer like me, this is more than made up by the speed advantage of a wet suit. I have heard that extremely good swimmers, who have perfect body positioning in the water without a wetsuit, do not benefit much from wearing one - but I am not in that club.

That said, however, we may only be talking about 20 or 30 seconds at most. That is certainly meaningful if you are shooting for a personal best time, or if you are in the running to actually win your event or age group - but for a first time race, I doubt that 20 or 30 seconds is going to be the difference between you enjoying your race or not.

The other consideration is that it can be a bit wierd to swim in a wet suit the first time; you would definitely need a time or two swimming with it in open water to get accustomed to it before the race. This would be my main consideration - just skip it, because one less strange/unfamiliar thing on your first race day is probably the best choice

Edited by alath 2012-06-10 10:56 PM
2012-06-11 1:16 AM

Avoid the wetsuit unless the water is too cold for you (prob 65deg. for such a short swim, but everyone's different).

There's some much to do/learn in your first tri, don't add the complication of a wetsuit if you can avoid it.

If you do end up investing in a wetsuit, get a triathlon-specific one (not a suit made for surfing, diving, or waterskiing).  Get a long sleeve one, they are faster, period (lots of threads on this).

2012-06-11 7:08 AM

User image

Regular

Did my first tri yesterday (580 yd) w/o a wetsuit.  I actually own one, but didn't have time to practice in it.  I made the right choice for me because I actually freaked out a bit in shady water and felt claustrophobic, which I can only assume the wetsuit would have exacerbated.

So, I definitely wouldn't buy one for one race of this distance.  Rent only if you can practice in it first. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint, wetsuit or no wetsuit? Rss Feed