of 2

2012-06-12 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4257854

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Subject: RE: straight-arm swimming??
Pacific John - 2012-06-12 7:43 PM

... pay attention to what's happening under water, particularly with a long arm at the catch, a high elbow in the pull, and that you are powerful after your forearm passes you shoulder.

x2. Regardless of how you advance your arm over water it will always be faster than the one underwater. I'd suggest you take focus from above water, do whatever you feel comfortable, and focus under water, be it straight, bent or some combination. 

Another thing you can do, have a friend help you record your swim. This is the drill: 

Swim say 200-400 warmup, and have your friend follow you along the side - this is as much warmup for your friend. It can be difficult to follow with a camera and holding it steady. 

Swim 10x50, alternating each style, the one you've been taught and the one you feel comfortable, and keeping a steady pace. It's important to alternate the styles so fatigue affects each style equally. Have your friend follow you back and forth as you swim. After each 50, talk to the camera, grade your swim in how hard it was and how you felt it. 

Home again, review the video, count strokes per length and get the time for each 50. Compare with your perceived experience. See if you can reach any conclusion as to what is your best style.

Maybe take this data with you and if possible the video too and review with your coach. 

Cheers, Erik

2012-06-12 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4256385

Veteran
If you're going to stick with the coach, you have to decide if you want to stick with the suggested "straight arm" technique or risk irritating the coach.  Whatever you decide re coaching, I wouldn't stick with that technique, as it seems you're at high risk for injury that way, it doesn't make you faster over long sets, and if you look at youtube videos of the top freestylers, the don't do that.
2012-06-12 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Limited time at the moment, but....

I have asked her about it. She swears I'm much more efficient and I'm pulling so much more water now, than when I swam with a bent-elbow catch and pull. (I don't disagree with this, it's the shoulder-killing recovery that I take issue with.) I told her it's more tiring but she says I'm making up for it with efficiency. However, I don't think that's what my swim times are telling me.

She also says I'm actually NOT swimming with a straight arm, it just feels that way. I'm sure it's not perfectly straight the whole time because that's biomechanically impossible, but I know I'm either minimally bending my elbow or not at all. She says I'm doing it the right way now, but I don't FEEL like the rest of the masters swimmers LOOK when they swim.

I will reiterate that the alternative is me swimming laps on my own with NO feedback, and I was getting really burned out on that. So yes, this is better than no coach at all.

2012-06-12 5:00 PM
in reply to: #4258419

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
runk8run - 2012-06-12 11:41 PM

... but I don't FEEL like the rest of the masters swimmers LOOK when they swim.

OK, that really sounds like you need to see yourself swimming. Maybe your coach is right but you just don't feel that because you can't see it? I'm a bit confused now.

How long have you had that coach? It may take some time to get used to different techniques, and the also, if you change style that begin to work other muscles you'll need time to build strength and endurance in those muscles.

Cheers, Erik

2012-06-13 12:44 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
If you are more tired using this technique you are not more efficient. Swimming 1:53/100 even though it's faster than what you were doing is not a sign of an efficient swimmer (sorry) . I'm not trying to be harsh. Swimming should NOT be painful, your coach should be able to explain this with more reasoning than "because I said so", and a straight arm recovery is always going to be harder on the shoulder and the rotator cuff than a relaxed swing forward with forearm, bicep and tricep muscles turned off.

Always seek to turn off muscles that don't need to be activated to get the movement done. The argument for straight arm recovery is about the same as mashing on a bike. Energy is being wasted by not training the muscles in a more efficient firing pattern. It's not a matter so much of what "works" for different body types as it is what movements and relationships with the water reduce form and wave drag. Reduce drag (slapping the water in an evans style straight arm makes waves and takes energy...which creates drag on your body from surface waves). All that means is that you need to generate even more power to overcome the drag you are creating. This works for a little while, but that still doesn't make it efficient or healthy. Some people with good scapular anatomy like a type 1 AC joint will never have any trouble with it. Unfortunately you don't know this until you have pain, which may indicate damage.

People with big engines can train past this point, even though they are less efficient. People without big engines ( most of us statistically) people who have not grown up swimming with the resiliency for this type of repeated movement simply get frustrated sooner or later.

I will say this For the coach. She says you don't look like you are describing how you feel. That's a common misperception, that we feel one thing yet look totally different.

There is a really simple solution for this which is to take a video of yourself swimming and watch it. Even without the coach watching it with you you'll probably learn a lot.
2012-06-13 6:19 AM
in reply to: #4257584

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
BernardDogs - 2012-06-12 11:39 AM
runk8run - 2012-06-12 7:58 AM

AdventureBear - 2012-06-11 11:05 PM I third getting a new coach. Ask this coach "Why?" and see if her answer holds water. You are slowly destroying your shoulders. Whatever you paid for masters is not worth injuring a rotator cuff and having a long term injury.

I appreciate the "new coach" sentiments, but for now, let's proceed as if that's not an immediate and easy option, ok? I have to go back to the drawing board, find out who's good and find a masters group that works in my schedule - not an easy thing to do.

Plus, this is the second local coach I've tried. The first one was highly recommended by a number of triathletes around here. I met with her for an individual session. She spent most of the time videotaping me, then explaining a proper freestyle stroke (most of which I already knew and I had told her that I don't do well with just having things explained to me and then trying to do them), then she ignored everything I said I wanted to work on and focused on my kick. She gave me two drills to do for that (utilizing a special kickboard that I don't own), said she'd post all my videos on a website for me, and never did.

I no longer harbor any delusions that I'm going to improve much on the swim. I would just like to make the cutoff. I am going to ask the current coach if I can tweak my form to make it easier on my shoulders long-term. Current coach did get me breathing bilaterally, which is a small miracle, so she ain't all bad.

Another sign of crap coaching.

I know you don't want to hear it, but it's valid advice. I'd take it a step further and ask for my money back. If that doesn't work, I'd demand it. From both of the coaches.

From day one, when I was an absolute hack in the water, my coach was convinced I'd be able to compete in sprints and olys this season and Ironman for summer 2013. That's what coaches do ... they realize THEIR potential as coaches to help you realize YOURS as an athlete.

If the best coach you have available to you sucks, then it's not worth your time or money. 

Oh, that's me talking, not the coach. I'm not actively trying to get faster, if that makes sense. I mean, that would be nice, but my goal #1 is to be able to survive and IM swim unscathed (and under the cutoff, but I think even with my lack of speed right now I could get that done.) It's not like swimming is the one thing keeping me from a podium or anything like that. I'd like to swim as well as I can, but maybe this is it FOR RIGHT NOW.

2012-06-13 6:26 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

OK, so, the coach wasn't there last night either. We had a sub, who coaches the kids' swim team. I asked him for some pointers and he made a face when I told him I'd been told to swim with straight arms. He had me spend the entire practice working on a higher-elbow catch.

He was able to explain it to me in a way that finally made sense to me. I appreciate all the pointers I get here, but when it comes down to it, I don't have much luck at all with translating the written word into movement. I've tried fingertip drill in the past and I drop my elbow anyway. I think I caught on a bit more as far as proper form/position. Today my back is sore but it feels more like that's what's supposed to be sore.

I still am grumbly about swimming. Every time I fix something, something else goes awry. I've been stuck at the speed I'm at for a while now (for longer distances) so....we'll see.

I don't think I'll return to this masters group after the season is over in July. Too many coach subs, not enough triathletes, and I'm about the slowest one there. I may end up sucking it up and going to the 5:30 AM masters group near me; just reluctant because I work until at least 7 pm some nights and that will really put a wrench in my schedule.

2012-06-13 6:33 AM
in reply to: #4258990

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
runk8run - 2012-06-13 7:19 AM
BernardDogs - 2012-06-12 11:39 AM
runk8run - 2012-06-12 7:58 AM

AdventureBear - 2012-06-11 11:05 PM I third getting a new coach. Ask this coach "Why?" and see if her answer holds water. You are slowly destroying your shoulders. Whatever you paid for masters is not worth injuring a rotator cuff and having a long term injury.

I appreciate the "new coach" sentiments, but for now, let's proceed as if that's not an immediate and easy option, ok? I have to go back to the drawing board, find out who's good and find a masters group that works in my schedule - not an easy thing to do.

Plus, this is the second local coach I've tried. The first one was highly recommended by a number of triathletes around here. I met with her for an individual session. She spent most of the time videotaping me, then explaining a proper freestyle stroke (most of which I already knew and I had told her that I don't do well with just having things explained to me and then trying to do them), then she ignored everything I said I wanted to work on and focused on my kick. She gave me two drills to do for that (utilizing a special kickboard that I don't own), said she'd post all my videos on a website for me, and never did.

I no longer harbor any delusions that I'm going to improve much on the swim. I would just like to make the cutoff. I am going to ask the current coach if I can tweak my form to make it easier on my shoulders long-term. Current coach did get me breathing bilaterally, which is a small miracle, so she ain't all bad.

Another sign of crap coaching.

I know you don't want to hear it, but it's valid advice. I'd take it a step further and ask for my money back. If that doesn't work, I'd demand it. From both of the coaches.

From day one, when I was an absolute hack in the water, my coach was convinced I'd be able to compete in sprints and olys this season and Ironman for summer 2013. That's what coaches do ... they realize THEIR potential as coaches to help you realize YOURS as an athlete.

If the best coach you have available to you sucks, then it's not worth your time or money. 

Oh, that's me talking, not the coach. I'm not actively trying to get faster, if that makes sense. I mean, that would be nice, but my goal #1 is to be able to survive and IM swim unscathed (and under the cutoff, but I think even with my lack of speed right now I could get that done.) It's not like swimming is the one thing keeping me from a podium or anything like that. I'd like to swim as well as I can, but maybe this is it FOR RIGHT NOW.

Yeah ... I know that's you talking. A good coach instills far more confidence. It's a shame to hear you talk like that about yourself.

2012-06-13 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4258992

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
runk8run - 2012-06-13 1:26 PM

OK, so, the coach wasn't there last night either. We had a sub, who coaches the kids' swim team. I asked him for some pointers and he made a face when I told him I'd been told to swim with straight arms. He had me spend the entire practice working on a higher-elbow catch.

He was able to explain it to me in a way that finally made sense to me. 

If you like the sub, why don't you ask if he wants to coach you?- or join the kids Tongue out

Ask him for one hour weekly say, and that he prepare another one-hour workout you do on your own. And tell him that you highly appreciate the continuity of having just one coach. 

I don't know if he is allowed to work in public pool hours or how conditions are at your pool, but it seems you've found a coach you like.

Good luck

Erik

2012-06-13 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4259029

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
erik.norgaard - 2012-06-13 8:02 AM
runk8run - 2012-06-13 1:26 PM

He was able to explain it to me in a way that finally made sense to me. 

If you like the sub, why don't you ask if he wants to coach you?- or join the kids Tongue out

Ask him for one hour weekly say, and that he prepare another one-hour workout you do on your own. And tell him that you highly appreciate the continuity of having just one coach. 

I don't know if he is allowed to work in public pool hours or how conditions are at your pool, but it seems you've found a coach you like.

Good luck

Erik

Yeah, right. The kids practice before and/or during we do and they can all swim circles around me!! LOL. Actually, my friend's son is on the kids' special olympics team and HE swims way faster than I do...with one leg. (He has one leg. Not me.)

I can't say that I like him enough to ask him (and pay) for one-on-one coaching from him. He gave me one thing to do that was helpful but he didn't have too much time to devote to just helping me during the practice. He checked in on me once or twice but that's about it, so I didn't get to really know him as a coach so well.

I also don't know if I can afford one hour a week of private coaching. Eep. Maybe if I had a goal of getting way faster and/or improving the swim would get me elite status or a podium finish then....maybe it would be worth investing that much money. But I'm a mediocre cyclist and runner at this point, and frankly, I'm more concerned with improving them than improving my swim. Masters is just an extra motivation to get my butt in the water and work a little harder than I'd do on my own, and at $100 for three months, a bargain compared to private coaching!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » straight-arm swimming?? Rss Feed  

of 2