General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Pedals w/ Tri Fly Shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-13 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: New Pedals w/ Tri Fly Shoes

So I was forced into replacing my bike a little early (bought used initially and frame crack developed a year later).  New bike (Trek Madone 4.5) arrives on Friday, and I'm looking at possibly upgrading my pedal situation.  I can either put my old pedals on the new bike:

Shimano PDM324 Multi-Purpose Mountain Pedals

Or get new pedals.  My shoes are Pearl Izumi Tri Fly III's, and I like them, so really don't want new shoes at this point.  The bottoms of them look like this, but I'm not sure other than SPD mountain bike type pedals what will work with them.Pearl Izumi Women's Tri Fly III Triathlon Shoes

I plan to bump up the road riding and continue with tri's as well (sprint, OLY, and possibly a HIM).  I'd like to stay around $100 or less for pedals.  So what say you BT bike pedal experts?  Is it worth it to upgrade my pedals?  If so, what are your thoughts on which ones would be best?

2012-06-13 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4260068

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: New Pedals w/ Tri Fly Shoes
You can pretty much go any road pedal.  Shimano and Look both have options in your price range.
2012-06-13 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Thank you!  I'll take my shoes to the bike shop and see what they have.  Still have my "new bike purchase 10% off everything discount".  When I told them I currently used SPD mountain bike type pedals/cleats, I think they thought that was all my shoes were compatible with (and I wasn't sure either).  So they initially suggested I think about getting new shoes that didn't look very tri friendly to go w/ some road pedals.

I know there are a kazillion pedals out there, but any input on favorites would be much appreciated.  In trying to understand the factors am I understanding correctly the following? 

More float is good (at least to a point) in terms of lessening knee injury potential? 

More contact surface good for evening out pressure the foot (or does it matter since my shoes have a very hard sole)?

Less weight is good, but thinking not very significant to me at this stage (or perhaps ever)? 

2012-06-15 1:15 AM
in reply to: #4260317

You can use virtually any road pedals, since the shoes have the three-hole pattern that is pretty standard.  Most systems have some float (ex. look has cleats that give 6deg. of float, which is fine).  Don't worry about the contact/platform issue; all major road pedal systems (Look, Shimano, Time, Speedplay) have more than enough; if you were fine using SPD pedals this isn't going to be a problem.

I'm personally a fan of Speedplay Zeroes.  Light, and with adjustable float.

2012-06-15 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thank you, expecially for the feedback on which factors are important/or not!  I'm so glad I don't have to get new shoes.  Bike came in early, so I'll get fitted on it today and pick out some pedals  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Pedals w/ Tri Fly Shoes Rss Feed